1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The addiction of Civ

Discussion in 'Playground' started by joacqin, Dec 12, 2001.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I have gotten a copie of Civilization 3 and I must say that it is ruining both my studies and my social life. Sure RPGs can hold you glued to the computer but they dont have that "just one more turn" compulsion that civ has. Are there any more civ addicts here on this board?

I have to add something that I think Sid "God" Meier and his Firaxis team should have added to the game. They should have made the AI competent to grovel at my feet when I am more than ten times their size and with an army that could roll right over them in a matter of a few turns. It is so annoying when the chinese (2 cities) demand something ridicoulos of me and when I dont comply they go to war with me. They should fear my wrath, not threathen with their own.

As you can see I havent been able to post in a while because the civ boards I hve found have been ridden with spammers and other loose people.

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I am a Civ junkie. No Civ 3 yet, hopefully Santa...
    I played both Civ and Civ2 when they first came out (still play Civ2). They are very addicting.

3. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Count me in as a Civ I and II junkie (as well as Alpha Centauri) I think these were the games that made my wife hate computers :(.

I remember those long nights where I would vow to quit once I gained a certain technology, ok, as soon as I take over one more city, ok, ok, I just want to produce a couple of more units.... and so it went.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yup, I'm playing a lot of Civ3 now, too. Unfortunately, I have this mad compulsion to play Huge/16 civ maps on my ancient computer, so I get to do a lot of reading in between turns. :)

Aloha
    Vormaerin

5. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I played Civ 1 a LOT.
    Then I played Civ 2 a bit.
    Then I played Civ 2 Gold multiplayer.
    Then I wanted to the same with Civ 3.
    But the bastards didn't implement that.
    So now I'm waiting for Civ 3 Gold.

:p

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I didn't play Civilization on the pc... My life is already one big civilization..... :rolleyes:

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hmm, nobody's mentioned Call to Power yet. I can't run Civ3, and I think Call-to-Power's Public Works and Trade systems are better than the ones in Civ 2. Also the gimmicky animated/talking units are intersting for - 0h- 30 seconds or so. But yeah, count me as a Civ addict. I tend to go "Oh, I'll play a few turns, check some stuff out, maybe half an hour - THEN STOP AND STUDY!! (28 mins later) Argh, the Americans have taken Falkirk, okay I'll get it back - then quit. Right, muster an army, hmm, they'll be ages getting there - my roads could use a bit of work. (20 mins later) We have liberated Falkirk! Hooray. Now -for some closure on this conflict - sue for peace....rejected? Argh, that's it - I'm marching on Boston - ooh, gunpowder right around the corner...."
    Actually, just typing this has made me want to go and play now.... *NO! RESIST!! MUST....RESIST....*

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited December 12, 2001).]

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

/me casts Resistance from Civilization-addiction on Ironbeard :):):)

9. Turambar Gems: 13/31

One more addict here. Haven't even bought the game yet cause of all the exams and test in december, but when christmas holliday comes I'll be playing till my brain flows out through my ears.....:D

Played all the other games, didn't like call to power that much actually, don't know why, something about the look and feel of it....

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

CtP isn't a bad game, though the wonders are horribly unbalanced. Civ3 has a much better trade system than CtP or CtP2, IMHO. The goods you trade actually matter, other than as gold and you can trade resources for other diplomatic stuff as well.

I actually prefer the Civ style of building improvements to CtP's public works. While PW are easier to manage, I feel they are a bit colorless. Sending a work gang out to the site just makes it more cool than "click, put this there". Its also more flexible. In CtP, adding a given improvement always costs the same amount of time and PW. In Civ3, you can effectively manipulate the cost: the more workers you assign to the project, the faster it gets done. Is clearing that pollution off your best farm tile *really* important? Send a dozen workers! I also think that constantly having to upgrade your tile improvements is annoying.

CtP2, while a better balanced game, is even worse in the 'player management' sense. You don't even get to control which tiles in your city your workers develop. Blechh!

Aloha
    Vormaerin

11. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I got Civ2 gold. I used to play it a lot, almost as much as I played BG2. Then I got bored of it. Now I usualy don't play it because I'm either playing BG2 or Black and White.

12. Turambar Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] DAMN THE POWER OF CIV, DAMN IT I SAY

I got my paycheck today and just happened to walk by the gamestore and looked in. Next minute I am walking out of there with a fresh copy of CIV3.

Well there goes school and social life for the next three to nine months

13. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

am I the only one who's civ3 keeps crashing?

14. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Damn I loved Civ 1 on the Amiga. I dont know why exactly but the sequel never seemed as much fun. It was still good though. Count me in as a dedicated Civ Junkie.

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Me and my dad are civ addicts! We've played Civ, Civ 2, Civ 2 Test of time and Alpha Centuri (i think its called) and we are thinking seriously about getting Civ 3 ... could someone please give me a quick summary of the new things that civ 3 brings with it?

16. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Haven't played Civilization 3, but it looks impressive. The box was ten times heavier than anything else in the store - it almost seems like commercial design. Describe some features of it for me, as I may spend some money.

17. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sorry, can't describe any details as I am also in conflict with myself wether to buy or not to buy the game....Since I am becoming a dad in a couple of months somehow it doesn't seem wise picking up the box, looking at it or even talk about.
    Hell, I shouldn't even be replying this topic at all.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    Abraham Maslow

18. gollum Banned

[​IMG] So should I get it?

19. Namuras Gems: 13/31

Another Civ Addict here. I've only played Civ II and Test of Time so far (and a couple of clones, like Master of Magic and Colonization), but they kept me busy for months!

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited December 15, 2001).]

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The biggest change in Civ3 compared to the previous games is the introduction of culture and resoruces. You now have borders that grow with your culture. You get culture from temples, libararies and stuff like that. It works really well and your citizens now have a nationality wich makes it much harder to concquer your enemies because persian citizens in your towns are mad at you when you are at war with Persia.
    The resources are superfun. You now have a reason to go war excepts the basic reason "I hate that guy". For example if you dont have rubber you cant build tanks, no iron and horses no knights. No salpeter no gunpowderbased units. So I think its a worthy follower of no 1 and 2. But there are som things that are less good. Among them the invincible phalanx from Civ1 is back and that can be pretty annoying.
    Go read some reviews or check out this page www.civfanatics.com for more info.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.