1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What video game(s) got you hooked on video games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Slackertoast, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy!! Specifically, FF7, on my first-ever Playstation, not much over two years ago (yes, PSX had already been available for a long time, but....) Then I got into BG, much later, as I became better at videogames.... My first days, I barely survived Final Fantasy, I'd have been flattened in CRPGs.

2. jesper898 Guest

i first got an amiga with superfrog:)
    then i got a playstation with ff7(and now ff8 and ff9)
    then i got a pc with civilization, when i bought diablo i played it for months :) then one day a couple of months ago i borrowed bg1 from my cousin and thought :man who wanna play bg when you got diablo2: i was bored so i decided to give the game a chance and in about 30 days i bought bg2,TOB,TOTSC,IWD,IWD HOW, and PST:D

[This message has been edited by jesper898 (edited November 18, 2001).]

3. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] black and white and shenume (B&W Pc, Shenume Dreamcast)
    wait, those are my current fave games!
    It was fury of the furries and lemmings (both p.cs)

[This message has been edited by The Grim Ripper (edited November 18, 2001).]

4. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The game that got me hooked was the greatest beat-em-up of all time...
    Yie ar Kung Fu!
    All my pocket money went into that machine down at the local arcade...I couldn't stop until I'd beaten it.

5. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Frogger, Dig Dug, Uncle Henry's Nuclear Waste Dump(pre-Tetris block dropping game), and Ms. Pacman on the 2600. On my dad's TRS-80, Eliza, and on the crappy school 'puters I played Lake Okechobee, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, and Oregon Trail. Then since I wasn't allowed to get a Nintendo, I got a Gameboy then it was all over. Tetris, Super Marioland, Qix, Pinball, and Final Fantasy Legend.

6. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Bring back some memories with Adventure...
    How about some other Atari Games like Bazerk (the one where the stick-figure guy runs around shooting robots, oh and you couldn't touch anything including the walls and especially that evil smiley-face guy...I tell ya he scared the sh!t out of me whenever he popped up and started comin' after me when I was a kid.)
    I also remember the Empire Strikes Back Atari game which put you in the snowspeeders (I loved it when you got the force).

7. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well i have to agree with joacqin. I got hooked because of nintendo. I killed at super mario all of them. And zelda was really my first rpg. I was of course young then :grin:

8. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] All these games mentioned have triggered some of my long forgotten favorites. I had a C64 also. Anyone remember the dungeon crawl game on tape(not disk or cartridge) called 'Dungeons of Magdarr'? That also reminded me of 'Loderunner'. Another favorite in coin up was Decathalon. Swipe that quarter in your hand faster and faster over the button until you approach the line, hit jump hold for a fraction of second, let go and watch him jump into the sand pit. 'Yie ar kung fu' kicked ass too. Their was that D&D game on Intellivision wasn't there? Archon I and II were sweet. That Apshai Trilogy rang a bell.Damn I just rambled on there. Bringing back so many gaming memories....

9. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

All this talk about old video game also reminds me of an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, with the mooninites, which are definately from an atari game but I can't remember which one though.

10. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Of course PONG, and then Atari in general, mainly Activision titles like "Chopper Command" and of course "Adventure". I never had Com.64 or Intellivision, but some friends did and a lot of time was wasted there. Arcade favorites were Tempest, Battle Zone, Joust and later the Gauntlet, i.e "Valkyrie is about to die...". I got into Desert Storm and Jungle Strike in college, preferring SEGA. Then there was a great era of gaming silence, broken by Descent I at work. Then I saw Metal Gear: Solid and wound up getting a PC later, bringing me to BG et al. Just the other night I wound up discussing this issue with a fellow "nerd" at school. After discussing the merits of "Snake Eater II" (a movie no one should see)and watching "Cyborg 2" with Angelina Jolie over some cold ones, it was time for some one on one "Goldeneye" on the N64. Time well spent...Now, why can't I get a date?

11. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Mariokart, man. You canna live without Mariokart.

12. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31

Wow, I had forgotten all about Decathlon. I used to love that game. I spent way too much time as a child playing Pac-Man and Space Invaders. I suppose the game that got me re-addicted was Age of Empires II.

13. herf Guest

The memories of sitting with my brother while he played "Thundercats" on his Amstrad, whenever he left the room I used to play it and beat all the bosses he could'nt, then he would come back and be really annoyed, but I didn't care.
    Then he got bored of it and gave it to me, and I figured out how to use it, and I got better than he ever was on it, back then I was like 4 or 5.
    Then I got a commodore 64, loved that thing, my brother still didn't have a clue how to use it.
    Then I got a nes and was hooked on mario and this rollerbladeing game.
    Then came the Snes and the megadrive, hated the megadrive, loved the Snes. I was hooked on Supermario 3, Super Metroid, Zelda.
    Then came the all mighty playstation with games like ff7, ff8, this is what really sparked me off.
    Then came the dreamcast and N64 at the same time, N64 sucked big time, Dreamcast ruled with Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online etc.
    Then came the biggest bitch of all bitches, my PC, with it came baldur's gate, diablo. That was me hooked properly.
    Then came PS2, twas shit, gave it away, it was so shit I gave a £350 console away to a friend, that was a new level of shittiness for me.

14. Majjin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The memories I can remember that got me into being a game addict, is the fact that I'm (like a few others here..lo0l) wasn't and still isn't a popular one in school, so when I was a kid I basically sat around at my house with other kids playing on my NES doing the Olympic game, that wierds Burger Making Game...and DUCK HUNT!!!!! (quack quack *flys* BOOM *falls*)

I think from there on, it was a matter of begging my parents for every new system that came out, and yes I played the Game Gear, and still love playing Slider on it..but since the tech is in these games nowadays, I seem to play them more and more finding games like Metal Gear SOlid 2, and the greatly face lifted Grand Theft Auto 3 (which has to be the best sequal in a game I've seen yet...going from pixelated sprites to full poly graphics).

I Think I'll always be a gamer in my life, and even be one when I'm a adult with a family. Hey, it keeps ya young when your old right?... :spin:

15. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

C 64 and then, dungeonbusting with Wizardry and chivalry with Defender of the Crown.
    I clearly remember my most wanted foe in the dungeons of Wizardy, the Creeping Coins, bach then, just great...
    I ran a C64 emulator on my PC a couple of months ago and tried replaying both games, I laughed my ass off...

16. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

well, i used to own a CPC Amstrad 64... damn those tapes that used to take 10 mins to load Ghostbusters... *sigh*

but the first game that really got me addicted, was good ol' Wolfenstein3D.

"schstuffel!"
    "mein leben!"

hehe stupid, but fun nevertheless! :D

17. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I grew up in Myrtle Beach, so there were SEVERAL huge arcades all over the place.

I was given an Intellivision for christmas one year, and remember playing D&D on it, as well as Sea Battle, Utopia, B-17 Bomber.

When I finially got an Apple II I played countless hours of ZORK and Wizardry! Those two games are what really got me hooked! Then the Gold Box games came out and that was all she wrote!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.