1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What video game(s) got you hooked on video games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Slackertoast, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

For me it was Combat,Warlords,Asteroids, and Kaboom.I did own that ugly orange and black console called 'Pong' back in the day.Of course the coin-ups at the time where I dumped all my allowance were Pacman,Centipede, Robotron. I probably just dated myself but hey once a gamer always a gamer.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If you can call the ancient Amiga 500 a console, the football manager games "The Manager" and "Championship Manager" definitely got me hooked on that machine.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

championship manager rules supreme - but goalkeepers are still way too overpowered

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What got me really hooked was the nintendo entertainment system and Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Zelda and other great games. But before that i had an black box of some kind with a huge joystick and plastic screens you put on the box screen if you wanted colour to games like asteroids and pacman.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Phoenix

6. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Aztec Challenge on the good old breadbox C64.
    My first D&D obsession was "Warriors of the eternal sun" on the Sega Megadrive.

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited November 16, 2001).]

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, Atari 2600 reveled in it's time.

Then Apple/Commodore/Amiga took over.

Nintendo upped the ante.

And PC's did a hostile takover of the company.

And to top it all off, everyone is coding emulators that return you to start.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It all began when my Dad's Amoco (now BP) charge card sent him "PONG" as a gift.

From there we got Atari, and I loved "Adventrue" ... does anyone remember having a little smily face, carrying a sword to kill one of the 3 dragons, and then ... *spoiler* finding the little multicolored "DOT" and dragging it to the castle so you can get the cool hidden graphics???

I jumped from Atari to Commador 64 and got Zork, Bards Tale & Ultima.

9. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Adventure was awsome!!! Venture for coleco, was another fun game. Winkey, the Hall monsters, those cheesey skeletons, WOW!!! What an upgrade we have now!

Sword of Aragon for Amiga was a classic for me!!

"Can I play with yer Ameeger? I don't really want to play with it, I just like saying Ameeger!"

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

First computer game - Hopper(frogger clone) on BBC Micro
    First CRPG - Zelda on Gameboy
    First PC games - Theme Park and C&C Red Alert

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Arcade:
    Space Invaders
    Asteroids
    Galaga

Trash 80:
    Zork
    Taipei

My buddy Chris had a Magnavox TV with Pong built in.

12. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] BBC Micro:
    -Skirmish
    -Temple of Evil
    -Repton (in all his various incarnations)

Amiga 500:
    -Civilisation
    -Street Fighter II
    -Mortal Kombat
    -Monkey Island I & II
    -Robocop ( :s )

[This message has been edited by Will (edited November 17, 2001).]

13. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I first started with C64 I got somewhere in '88 but managed to make it work after whole 5 years, that is in '93. Some of the best games were Giana Sisters, 1942, Battle Trough Time. There was also a game called Druid, which I really liked because it had elements of fantasy, spellcasting and such.
    Later I got the Gameboy, after my brother sold the C64. The best game was Zelda, definately.
    Then, in '96, I got the computer and I mostly played Mortal Kombat and similar stuff. But then I got Daggerfall, in April of '97, the game that really got me hooked to CRPGs.
    One of the best games ever. After that game I became an RPG fan and started my Wasted Years...

14. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ahh, nostalgia ;)

I first started with alkabeth back in 1990, sure it was fairly old by then, but it played great, and I still love that little game :D Then I went on to play all the classic gold/silver box dnd games.

15. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, I never owned a console, and my first PC game was some boulderdash clone, Rockford or something. So that's the game that got me into computers. How I miss that game...

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well the first stuff I ever played was on the old Atari system. Mostly pac man and ET. But what honestly got me hooked was my first experience at an arcade. It was for some birthday party, and at first I didn't like it. But for whatever reason I started playing Gauntlet. And I think that was the first game that hooked me. There were lots later of course, both arcade game and console game. Then years later came coputer game, and I think you all can figure out the rest of the story.

17. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

superfrog..ribbit..ha! gotcha mr bee!

18. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My parents had an Apple IIe that had some fantasy game on it -- maybe it was "Adventure". This is circa 1978. But no computer game ever interested me much until Age of Empires I. So I'm a Janie-come-lately.

19. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] CBM64 (1984)
    Temple of Apshai Trilogy. My 1st cRPG. *g*
    Oh and China Miner.

20. Paddy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] mine was the mega drive and the sonic series but i got into RPGs with BG

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.