1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Max Payne

Discussion in 'Playground' started by DragonSlayer21, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Any one else been in the shoes of Max Payne yet. Damn, I love this game, the whole slowmotion effect when you dive in and the old detective movie setting. And the graphics, I'm blown away.... :D :D :D

Just thought I'd share this with you so that any other FPS fans out there actually buy this great game

2. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] That game looks awesome. Its a little high right now for me, and I don't have enough time, and my PC probably isn't good enough anyway, but I hear its incredible. Cool.

3. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Extremely cool game. It's almost more like reading a novel than playing a game. I'm still in part one and so far I'm impressed.

4. I am actually thinking of upgrading everything on my computer to get the best possible graphics.... :rolleyes:

5. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

takes a 64 meg 3d card for that... who can afford it?

Anyway, I love max payne, apart from the extremely lousy, cliche story.. obviously, it's 3d realms, creators of duke nukem and all, but personally I can't help but think what a game with this engine, these controls and all could be like if it was a bit more realistic, and had a more interesting plot. It's really like being the star of some awful action movie, like Death Wish 14 or something, but still it's strangely addictive.

6. That's what I like about it, haven't you ever seen one of those old detective movies from the 50's or something(Sam Spade and all that)

I don't think they ment the story to be taken that seriosly, I think they were laughing alot when they made that game and all his comments

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ok I haven't played the game yet so can't say if it is any good or not. I have been following its development over the last few years though and have been gettng pretty excited at its release. So much so that I nearly bought it this weekend especially after seeing the 95% review it recieved.

Still I held back as I have had a few concerns about the third person mode, which I have never liked for combat. Then on Sunday I saw another review that really slagged the game complaining that it was ameteurish, too short and lacking in any real innovation. it gave it 1.5 out of 5 (30%)

Based on thast my advice is to wait for the demo (you might also wonder why they have held back a demo until after release). One other things that worries me with it is that there is no multi-player. They claim that it would be too difficult to use bullet time in multi-player but why not just disable it for multi-player games? At least they should have given us the choice.

Anyway if you want to find out more and chase some links, go here:
    http://www.maturegamer.net/News/NewsPages/MaxPayne.html

8. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I played it and really liked it. As for the shortness, I'm guessing it's about 20 hours so it's no BG2. But, I loved every minute of this game and I know I will be going back to play it again. Personally I'd rather play a good short game than a bad long game so the length isn't an issue for me. The game looks great and the bullet time isn't just a gimick, it's a needed survival skill in this game.

9. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Really cool game. Only real problem is that it's pretty linear and fairly short. Otherwise it rocks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.