1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black & White!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Gormenghast, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Anybody here play black & white and if so do you play online?

I am curently on the 3rd land are there any suprises on the 4th & 5th?

Do you get to fight Nemesis, is he tough?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] If I'm right the only one beside you who was deceived with that copycat is Septic.

3. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

Copycat?

Huh!
    What are you talking about Extermist!

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have Black & White but I never got much past the prologue- I find the interface really, really hard to use. Did anyone else find this? In particular I found it nearly impossible to interact with my avatar in any way- and I kept suddenly spinning around or soaring into the sky when I tried to look to the left or right. How long did it take you to learn how to move around in three dimensions (+ zoom!)?

... and no jokes about women drivers!!!

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm talking about cult game POPULOUS.

Never heard? Just as I thought...

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    POPULOUS! Great game... Haven't played in ages. I used to raise my land up several levels and then flood the infidels to death! My opposition could only save a few; after that it was quick work! :)

7. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

Yes i found the controls very hard to use but i changed them. Just change the controls of how you most feel comfortable and then the game is much more enjoyable to play.

No i haven't heard of that game before, i presume it is like black and white.

8. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Populous was a great game but B&W is a much better version. Molyneux - the creator of BOTH games - has done it again. I can't say the storyline is that original but the A.I. is amazing and the graphics are just fabulous. What I love most of all is training my creature to be a vicious, villager-eating monster - I'm a black godess, what can I do ;)? It's a great game all in all, except maybe for the interface. And it's pretty relaxing too.

9. I think it is a pretty cool game, haven't played it in a while though. You get pretty fed up after a while when things are not going your way. And then you might wanna start over again, but you still have to go through that o so long tutorial....

Anyone know if there's a patch out for it yet?

10. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I got notice of a patch emailed to me about 3 days ago- if you didn't, and want it, let me know and I'll post or send you the link.

The AI *is* really amazing- that was why I was interested in Black & White actually. I did a research project in the winter on AI software development for business applications, and found to my amazement that most academic experts agreed Lionhead's work on Black & White (which had not yet been released) was the furthest along at putting the latest AI research into a release-ready application, universities and big software developers included. I'm not sure if it's terrific or depressing that our state-of-the-art software development skills are being used primarily for entertainment. But I knew I HAD to see this game! So far it's more fun to boggle at than actually play, though.

11. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

12. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I do have to agree with that one thing at least... The AI is really pretty good. I mean, a monster that you can teach what to do and not to do and that learns from past experiences... pretty neat.

13. Sander Scamper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I perssonally have Black and White and it is Awesome,heehee i taught me ceature to play fetch the fireball and villager stomp.
    i got through it great until i got to the 4th island,that sucked,fireballs rain from the skuys and anything you build is blown to pieces,its impossible to build a town, im told you teach your creature to catch and throw away the firballs but it doesnt work.
    I really need villager immunity or town shield.The Creature AI is incredible,my creatureruns from one side of the continent to poop on Lethys's temple hehe.The tutorial should be skippable,and i think you should choose what to do with the child whos gonna get eaten.I say let him get eaten then beat the children to death with the mangled corpse. :) overall? and Awesome game and infinitely enjoyable.
    Just my two cents.

Going back to bed :D

14. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BLCK N WHITE RULES, but i cant do level 5 with nemesis, my creature gets smaller than a villager, any help would be nice...

15. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

You could do this!

But it would be called cheating!

I can give you a site where you can download a creature editor, this little nifty tool can make your creature bigger, stronger, eviler and better!

Just say you want it and i 'll give you the site!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.