1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boring on hard difficulty

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by joacqin, Apr 15, 2002.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is there anyone except me that finds it exceptionally boring to jack up the difficulty level above core? I am playing an overpowered multiplayer party with a friend and as we didnt get any challenge at all from the game we decided to raise the difficulty. The only thing that happens is that the few times the crappy enemies hit you, they do massive damage. I dont find it particularily fun. Give me more monsters or harder monsters to wack instead, dont make a skeleton warrior do 30+ damage on a normal hit, thats bizarre. I do know about the hidden triggers that decide which enemy you fight but we are already fighting the toughest ones possible.
    Well what I am trying to say is that it sucks to play on hard and insane, its not harder it just hurt more if you are unlucky. Why cant I fight two liches instead of one that is doing extreme amounts of damage with a lousy fireball?
    What is your thought of the higher difficulties?

2. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] IF you want a challenge just spawn monsters in every encounter. it takes no time with the console and the codes here from Sorcerer's Place. :)

The Dmg. is rediculous, I agree :)

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Insane dificulty sucks :(

I played parts of IWD on insane with my four char party ... for the challenge and the xp. I weventually stopped that since the damage I took was excessive despite all my victories ... That again forced me to rest excessively and finally I was sooooooooooo sick of it. Since that was the only thing changed. Would the enemies act smarter and differrent on insane I'd have probably found fun going on but just enhancing the damage dealt out for the enemies is kinda stupid.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 15, 2002).]

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Well, if you're looking for a challenge try playing core difficulty with say a solo bard. (hehe almost misspelled it as barf :lol: )

Or a group of bards. Or only thieves. Or something...

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited April 15, 2002).]

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well the thing is that I am playing multi player with a friend, we use only 4 chars to make it a bit challenging. And challenging it was especially in the beginning, TDD holds some nasty surprises in the early parts of the game but that also means more XP. We have just entered the underdark after doing every quest possible in chapter 2 and we are the SoA XP cap, or rather a bit above it. We jacked up the difficulty after killing Bodhi in one round but it is not very fun when your chars die after being hit twice. Heck my kensai/mage died after a few acid arrows from the drow in the underdark! That is not challenging its just annoying. Magic missile does TONS of damage now. Gimme more foes instead!

6. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

A nice way to improve difficulty would be to give the Universal AI Script (you can get it here at SP) to every monster in the game. Sure it requires a powerful computer to run on so many creatures, but it would dramatically raise the intelligence of enemies. An example? I've been told that many kinds of Shadows have a lot of good spells available, but during the game they just foolishly attack you (being killed in a few rounds). With the UScript they would probably cast their best spells before attacking.

7. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Install Ascension Mod (oops ToB stuff :()
    But I cant really think of anything else to make it *more challenging*

Hard/Insane is just stupid imho.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.