1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby World Cup '07

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Rotku, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about it yet from Harbourboy or Barmy Army.

So, French going down to Argentina was certainly quite a surprise for someone who knows very little about the sport. Although New Zealand beating Italy by 62 was kind of predictable. I admit I was cheering for Italy when they scored their first goal - it's always nice seeing the under-dogs scoring - was the only person in the entire pub!

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know where the Kiwi crackpot is to be fair. At his age, he's probably still stood in line for his pension.

South Africa will win this WC if you ask me. They have the best finisher since Jonah and New Zealand are perennial chokers.

England are pretty shyte and I don't expect them to reach the quarters.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good work, Rotku. That's the sort of proactivity I expect from a young New Zealander like you.

I'm off to the UK for 4 weeks. Flying out this afternoon.

The World Cup has been fascinating so far. I agree with Barmy that South Africa do look pretty sharp and they are certainly not afraid of the All Blacks. They will need to watch their discipline though (and so will the All Blacks) as the Samoans managed to rattle them pretty easily.

I'm looking forward to the England v Samoa game. Samoa gave the Boks a hurry up in those first 20 minutes and England are not in the same class as South Africa so it will be interesting.

I don't think the Argentina v France game was that much of an upset. Argentina have been beating all the major teams (except the All Blacks) for thelast few years and France have been almost as bad as England since 2003.

Exciting stuff. Can't wait for some more games (how come there are none on today!)

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A year for surprises. I still cannot believe france lost.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

England v South Africa in a few hours time. We can watch Andy Farrle tear those Springboks apart. I'm in Singapore at the moment so that means a 3am kickoff for me. Hope it's worth it.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Why is Andy Farrell at fly? He's never been a fly. He's too slow and his distribution is dire.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sheesh what a hiding by the Boks! Thought Andy Farrell was good at 2nd five, making good tackles, passing well - but guilty of not running it straight enough and using his size. Catt should've been more creative. Robinson had a huge game.

Boks were just superb, best I've seen a South African side play for quite some time. Fourie du Preez has got to be the best halfback in the world right now.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Robinson was the only player to turn up, the rest were rubbish. There was a total lack of pace and creativity in the play. Garbage really, start to finish. Why play Josh Lewsey and Paul Sackey if you're not going to play it out wide? Our kicks were garbage too, I can't even remember one time when we found good touch, yet Montgomery was killing us with the returns.

I knew we were rubbish but that really brought it home!

9. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

As a proud South African living in the UK, all I can say is "Ouch".

10. Harbourboy

At least Portugal managed to score a try! That's more than England could do. They really are the worst world champions there have ever been in any sport. Diabolical! South Africa are hot. They must be close to favourites for this tournament now......

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Now, now, play fair Harbs.. New Zealand are still favourites, you just don't want to say it and build yourself up for a fall.

New Zealand have the best players, but they have for other world cups and choked. Chokers r us. I'm sticking with SA to win it. Their backs are fookin' wicked. All really quick and strong. On top of that, we picked a pack deliberately for size and weight, and they were still heavier than us!! Huge athletes.

12. Harbourboy

If everyone is convinced that NZ are chokers, then surely that DOES make South Africa closer to being favourites, as they have all the players hitting form at the moment, PLUS no history of falling apart on the big stage. Think of all the positions on the field and there aren't many that South Africa look deficient compared to NZ. They have easily the best locks and halfback. Their loose forwards have been on fire and they have arguably the two best wings as well. Percy Montgomery is also in the best form of his life and isn't missing much.

Compare that to the All Blacks, who have 6 of their top 7 locks injured, a genetic inability to throw to lineouts properly anyway, nobody to play centre, a loose cannon at number 12, and no decent replacements for the 3 main loose forwards. They do probably have the best players in the number 1, 7,and 10 jerseys, but that is not enough to place them much ahead od the Boks.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wilkinson typically kicking 24 points in his 1st game back after injury, seeing England to victory over a spirited Samoa. We are far too reliant on him.

14. Harbourboy

Well, what a shocker from Australia. Well played to England, but really really terrible stuff from Australia. That was a clueless performance. Did they really miss Larkham that much?

Only one hour until kickoff against France. Time to start biting nails.

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ha! This is great! Australia AND New Zealand out at the 1/4s! Now if only we can see a Fiji win tomorrow!

France vs England semi should be a good watch!

And now I just have to put up with a nation in mourning for the next year...

16. Harbourboy

I'm so gutted. How can England and France be so hopeless for the last four years and then suddenly be through to the semi-finals? I am just so shattered right now. What a nightmare.

17. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The favourites are sure dropping away. Next it'll be South Africa losing to Fiji.

18. Rotku

We're such poor losers! Already been told to shut up (not quite worded in such nice terms) a few times after saying how well France played.

19. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Suid-Afrika for the cup then :D

I'm still in shock that BOTH England and France won

20. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Way to go Argentina! Can they handle RSA though, that's the question. Personally, I doubt it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.