1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

dammit, I'm a Barca boy :sad:

anyway that inter v valencia fight was pretty interesting :D

waiting up for the real v bayern game now, its 1:15am now, it SHOULD be showing 2am

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Good, I don't like Barca! If Man Utd and Arsenal win tonight, that's 4 English teams in the Champions League quarter finals.. You really do have to laugh when people say that the EPL isn't the best league in the world, for both quality and entertainment.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Barça era is ending. Ronaldinho hangs out too much time in pubs; and makes me laugh the way newspapers "forgive" Barça for being kicked out of the championship because, acording to them that I guess they watched another game, Barça played well and they deserved to win by 2 or more goals. :lol:

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well Barmy, it really would be a waste of all those millions they spent on foreign players if it wasn't the most spectacular league in the world, wouldn't you agree ? Even Spanish and Italian players are making the move to England nowadays, which was unthinkable a few years back. If it's a blessing for English football in general is another story, Arsenal for instance is not doing English football a favour by most of the time fielding a completely foreign squad, which, in my humble opinion, is a friggin shame and should be outlawed by the UEFA. Foreigners on your squad...fine, but there have to be limits. Liverpool is another example of an English team with hardly any English players, and let's not forget Chelsea. It's getting a little ridiculous with all those foreigners in the Premiership, 10 years from now England won't even be able to field a half decent national squad anymore, because British talents are completely ignored. Scouts from Arsenal and Chelsea are spotted on a regular basis attending matches from Ajax and Feyenoord youth teams, i mean come on....aren't there any homegrown talents anymore, or is it that foreigners are more interesting for whatever reason ?

Anyway, Arsenal can start looking for a handful of new foreigners this summer, this particular group failed miserably. All that money, and they still suck. :shake:

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Bah, Barca had a crap year true, hope they bounce back though. All the damn injuries and internal conflicts :mad:

As for Arsenal, they're playing with mostly youngsters so I think they'll probably be much better next season.

Anyway, Roy Makaay totally pwned Real, an 11second goal, chee.. :rolleyes:

I didn't watch the ManU v Lille or Arsenal v PSV games but I heard that they weren't anything great.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Took my son to the Laker game tonight. Amazing. Kobe scored 65 points on some of the toughest looking shots. Lakers in OT, well worth the price of admission.

7. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Ugh, baseball season is starting. Can I stand it? I'll have to, but it is absolutely last on my list of televised sports.

Oh, well. This, too, shall pass.

8. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Ah, baseball season is starting. Sweet deliverance is at hand. Time for fantasy baseball! STATS!!!! :roll: ;)

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I heard on TV one of the most impressive stats in college basketball. Tennessee under Pat Summit has a 100% graduation rate for her players. 100% -- wow.

10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Ah, to each his (or her) own. Best to you, Dinsdale; enjoy the season.

T2Bruno, Pat Summit (known here in East Tennessee as Pat Head Summit, since they remember her coaching before she got married) does have a great graduation rate for her players, but IIRC there have been those who left the program and either didn't graduate at all or went elsewhere. So the statistic is indeed impressive but I would guess it only includes the athletes who stayed on the team.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

For the moment, yes. But, that's only because Spain have been in decline and Italy is still recovering from the bribing scandal. Was the EPL the best league last year, no, and probably not next year either.

12. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well Santana started out the spring in his typical fashion... that being trying to get through the innings by issuing doubles and homers. Thank god for the A.L. MVP and Mr. Hunter delivering some much needed power hitting.

Rondel White gets a tip of the hat for his impressive diving catch in, I believe, the 5th inning.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Blue Jays start on the right foot beating the Detroit Tigers 5-3 in 10 innings. I like the way the Jays Lineup can string hits together when they get on their game. I think we can expect some big innings from them from time to time...

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, the Jays and Leafs managed to win tonight - too bad Toronto FC couldn't win in their first game to make it a perfect night for Toronto.

Then again I don't imagine more than five people in Toronto actually bothered to watch any of the Toronto FC game. I was flipping over to it during the commercials of a lousy B vampire movie that was named "Red Blooded American Girl" despite the fact that it was blatantly obvious that it was filmed in Toronto. You would think that they would do something to hide the TTC logos.

It was a truly boring film and yet I was never tempted to just switch over to watching the rest of the Toronto FC game. I think that will hold true for most people and except for games against Beckham's team there will be very little interest.

Oh and what is with their uniforms? The team logo isn't on the chest but instead there is a giant BMO logo! I know that BMO is the team's main sponsor but that is taking it way too far. It completely takes away from the dignity of the sport.

15. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well the Yankees are up 2-0 in the middle of the first. I can almost say with certainty that the Twins are done for the night.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hrm, good UEFA season for the English this year. I'm still backing AC Milan though. I'd love to see another AC Milan v Liverpool final. And see Milan NOT fux0r it up like they did a few years ago :rolleyes:

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    We've got the best league in the world mate. Everyone wants to play here. I think I'd back Chelsea for the CL this year.

Of course there's a logo on the chest. BMO are their main sponsor so they have their name on the team shirt. What is wrong with that? Have you actually ever seen a football game at all before? Why do Americans and Canadians feel the need to try and get stuck into the worlds most popular sport at every turn, just because they happen not to like it? It riles me something chronic. And it's not a 'uniform' it's a 'kit', or a 'strip'. If you don't like the sport, leave it alone.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Maybe they do it that way elsewhere but I can't think of another professional North American sports team that has a corporate logo and no team logo on their jersey. There will almost always be a large team logo in the middle of the chest and one or more smaller sponsors' logos elsewhere on the jersey. Furthermore, I just checked the websites and looked at pictures of some of the other teams in the Toronto FC's league and all of their jerseys had a large team logo.

As far as leaving the sport alone - the fact that we are doing so was the main point of my post. Looking at the main sports websites and listening to the sports news here there is next to no coverage of the Toronto FC. No one has been talking about them and I don't know anyone else who has watched any of their games. It looks to me that this will end up like every other attempt to start up a North American football/soccer league.

On a completely seperate note it was truly amusing to see the much hyped Dice K come into town and lose a pitching duel to Gustavo Chacin of all people. Chacin has only put up the win totals that he has due to some freakish luck that has resulted in the Jays giving him an obscenely large amount of run support. This time though he certainly earned his win.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Toronto FC have a team logo on their shirt! On the upper left chest probably, over the heart, like most other teams.

Riley!

Oh no, big surprise that nobody cares about some half-baked league where very few teams actually have their own ground. The Premiership, Serie A and Primera Liga are where it's at in the world of football.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Maybe they do, I can't find a picture anywhere that would let me tell. The only shot I could find is here. .

The Toronto player is mostly obscured but you can clearly see the large BMO logo while the opposition has the large team logo and a number of small sponsors logos.

Edit: I managed to find a shot on the team website. They do have a small team crest right where you said it would be.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.