1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eriksson caught in tabloid sting

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Sydax, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] News today make it look very bad, like if Eriksson made some terrible thing.
    From what I read here, looks like he was agreeing to make a contract with some Sheikh to coach Aston Villa.

Doesn't many people make new contracts when the money he could win is bigger?

I know many of you will know what this is all about, perhaps you can give some light on this, because, as I said before, the news here make him looks very bad, and of course, they show just some edited parts of the tape.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sven's a tool, always has been, always will be. He should have his full concentration on bringing the world cup to it's rightful home.
    This story has probably been blown up a bit, but it's still another boobie dropped by that idiot we have managing our national team.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Still, those tabloid rats tricked him into this. Who wouldn't want to negotiate business with an oilsheik ? No matter how much i like my job, i would at least like to know how much i can improve my pay, and so would anyone else. The British tabloid people are the lowest lifeform on the planet, they don't report news, they CREATE it themselves. Maggots, that's what they are.

4. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

From an England perspective the worst thing about this is the effect it will have on our world cup chances. He's being caught publically critising his players and the nation's clubs. Not only will it effect the morale of the team, but it also futher Alienates him from the England supporters. Sven isn't a bad manager and I cannot really see any English manager doing a better job at this point especially with only a few months preparation before the world cup. OK we have Curbs and Allardyce - who have'nt got the experience of working with the big name players, nor have they won anything domestically. Paul Jewel and Pearce are bright prospects but are too inexperienced at high level. Mention Mclaren or Bruce and I'll laugh in your face.

At the end of day Sven hasn't really said anything much thats untrue, he has shown a lack of loyalty, in some respects this is understandable he is Swedish after all and his primary motivation is his own back pocket. Strictly speaking he shouldn't have his job, but what options do the FA have? sweet FA in my book.

What really riles me about all this is the slimey underhand p***k that got the scoop. Who got his story and paycheck at the possible cost of the nations world cup chances. The press will be the first to complain if we go out of the world cup - but they'll never admit to giving England a helping hand on the way out.

Oh and if Sven ever does make it through the door at Aston Villa - I'll be cheering him all the way in - he's a better bet than David "Excuses" O'Leary.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Why oh why are people always saying things like "he isn't an experienced coach yet" ? What is an experienced coach anyway ? One with 200 games as a coach behind his name ? One who won a championship once ?

Experienced coaches are the least important thing in football. The only thing a coach needs is the gift to motivate his players. That's why it wouldn't hurt if the coach was a topclass player in his own days. Take Marco van Basten for example. Without any experience whatsoever as a coach, he took on the job of leading the Dutch national squad to the worldcup, and he lead us through the qualifying rounds undefeated. He gave the players the feeling they can beat any opponent, no "experienced" coach could have done a better job than Marco did.

So what's wisdom eh ?

If Sven can't motivate the England players to perform at their best, than perhaps England should start looking for one who can, before time runs out. And what coach could be better for the job than an ex international, a man who the players look up to ?

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

All I want to know is who the News of the World are working for ? It's too late to get a new coach for the World Cup let him do his job, bring it home and then get rid of him. All this can do is unsettle the team and that is not the job of the english press.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Allardyce would be perfect for it IMO. He's a no-nonsense Northern bloke. Those 'big name' prima-donna's would soon know who's boss and not to mess. He'd sort the dressing room out and get the most out of the players. At any club he's been at, he's got the most out of his players and picked a system that works.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm starting to lean towards Stuart Pearce and/or Bryan Robson as players their experience is greater than any other current English managers, but if not Sam's the Man.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Bryan Robson!!! You've got to be having a bubble. He's easily the worst manager in the Premiership. And psycho has only been in management for half a season, leave that one out as well.
    This would be my shortlist:

Sam Allardyce
    Martin O'Neill
    Gus Hiddink

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

:lol:
    Ask Luxenburgo, he took over Real Madrid, he has a very nice background, won almost everything back in Brazil and with even less than the half of stars he had on Real Madrid but he couldn't achieve anything with them.

Ask Bianchi, he took over Atletico de Madrid, he has an excellent backgroud, won everything with Velez Sarfield and Boca Juniors, but he couldn achieve anything in Spain.

Ask Bilardo, he was just an ex player who became coach just to coach Argentina in 1986, he won the World Cup and got Argentina second in 1990. He didn't won anything since then, he just got some very low table teams to the middle-top table.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Perhaps they were overexperienced. :D

13. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

The English FA would never take on an unproven or inexperienced manager. The press would have a field day. The England job is possibly the most pressurised position in World football trust me it just won't happen. The Holland job is a different proposition - I take your point with Van Basten - but that guy was a legend in his own right, he commands respect because of what he has won while playing the game - European cup at club and international level and European player of the year etc etc. But Van Basten hasn't really acheived anything beyond what he should have done though - any half decent coach should be able to get Holland to the world cup - they have a great squad of players.
    England don't have a Van Basten at the moment, the top spots for clubs with English managers in the premier league at this point is 6th and 7th - and not one of our regular internationals plays for either of these teams. This is a big problem in English football at the moment.
    Allardyce (who is originally from Dudley nr. Birmingham - in the southern half of the country) is possibly the best choice - I think he can adapt his tactics, he's an intelligent bloke. Some of the technology he uses is ahead of its time. But I doubt he's not going to be any better than Erikson, he's general tactics are strong arm - which is understandable considering the budgets he's had to work with, what he does when he has 11 quality players to pick is anybodies guess but Graham Taylor springs to mind.
    With Curbs we'd probably win 6 games and loose the next 6 bit like his Charlton form ;)
    Jewel might be interesting - hes done an amazing job with Wigan.
    Pearce again could be interesting - he typified the classic English player - strong, passionate (missed crucial penalties) but he aint the sharpest knife in the drawer either.
    Don't know much about Pardew - hes not done too badly, but hes not got the strongest credentials here.
    Bruce, Redknap, Robson and McLaren are not good enough, that covers the English. The rest are foreign - so they immediatly start off about with 50% of the country against them :) but there are a few I'd love to see managing the England Squad - Mourinho would be one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.