1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Fantasy Sports

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    What fantasy sports do you play? For the uninitiated: Fantasy sports are a game played by a group of people (usually friends) in which they pick players from various real teams to complete on their fantasy teams. Based upon the players performance in real life sports, he scores points for your fantasy team.

Example: I play fantasy football (NFL). My starting quarterback is Trent Green of the Kansas City Chiefs. If Trent Green throws a touchdown pass on Sunday, his team will score 6 points. Since he is on my fantasy team, my fantasy team will also score 6 points. Get it?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 13 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Fantasy Sports (13 votes.)

Fantasy Sports (Choose 9)
    * Football (American, Gridiron, etc.) - 31% (4)
    * Football (Soccer) - 23% (3)
    * Baseball - 15% (2)
    * Basketball - 8% (1)
    * Hockey - 23% (3)
    * Rugby - 15% (2)
    * Golf - 0% (0)
    * Auto racing (most notably NASCAR) - 0% (0)
    * Other (specify below) - 15% (2)
    * I am not interested in participating in any fantasy sport. - 23% (3)

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm interested in playing a Football game, but the only one that I've heard of is Hattrick, and it blows.

3. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hockey pools, as we call them, are very popular around here. Almost every office has one.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm involved in three fantasyleagues over on another board, NFL, NHL, and NBA. All leagues are customleagues on Yahoo.

It's the second year in a row that we're playing with the same group of people, and so far i haven't won much, but i guess that's because i don't check out my rosters often enough. I should be doing that at least twice a week, but i probably check once or twice every three weeks. :shake:

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

None. The closest I come is playing out a franchise in Madden NFL.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    If by 'Fantasy sports' you mean the same thing I do, then I have several fantasy football sides on different sites and in papers. It's great fun.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I'm big into fantasy baseball.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Barmy Army - I probably do mean the same thing as you. Like I described, basically a game amoungst friends where you pick real athletes for your "team", and there performance in real life is translated into points for your "team".

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Football and hockey

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't play any fantasy sports, I have tried hockey and football but found them both awfully boring after a while.

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Every year one of the major newspapers here holds a manager game, where you play as the manager of a custom made football (soccer) team in the danish league. I usually make such a team (though I never get far), regardles, it is much fun :)

12. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I play NFL, Baseball, football and cricket. All of which are fun though only on the football did I win anything, when I was runner-up in the FA Cup.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Cricket. Now there's one I never even thought of. I suppose you can translate pretty much any given sport into a fantasy sport, but it never occured to me taht cricket was a possibility. Does anyone besides the English play cricket with any regularity? It would be interesting to know if other people know of other "niche" sports that have fantasy leagues.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Cricket a niche sport? Tssh, Americans! :lol:

English, pretty much Asian countries (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc.), New Zealand, West Indies, Australia etc. all play it. Plus many others.

Cricket is a fantastic sport. Anyone who doesn't know it should really takle time out to take an interest. Great game.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, but i'd like to go home after an hour or two, cricket can go on for days. :D

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

This idea is new to me. So I don't play fantasy sports :p

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ah but you see, that's part of why it's such a quality sport mate. You take your mates along and make a whole day of it. You sit around all day chanting songs, getting drunk and watching a relaxing game of cricket :) . You can't beat it, really can't.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Sorry - but I've been away from this thread too long. I will defend to the death that cricket is very much a niche sport. While I am sure that many people are quite fanatical about it, it doesn't have anywhere near the world-wide appeal of other sports. Just to wit:

Football (European version) has to be the #1 sport in the world. That having been said, the NFL (American football) is extremely popular as well. Basketball is also more popular, as is baseball (practically everyone in North America, South America and the Far East plays it), golf, and hockey (when speaking of any nation in the northern hemisphere anyway).

Sorry on the world list, I think cricket would have a hard time cracking the top 10 list. That's a niche sport.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Excuse me. I would suggest that there are significantly more cricket players in the world than NFL players. Actually, there are probably more cricket players in India alone than there are people in the USA. And there are certainly more cricket fans in India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh than there are people in the whole of North America. That's without even including England, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, South Africa, and the West Indies which are the other main cricketing countries. And cricket is far and away the #1 sport in many of those countries (as opposed to just being one of many).

Just because a sport is not popular in USA, does not make it niche. In fact, it would be much easier to argue that NFL is a niche sport because it is only played properly in one country.

Anyway, back on topic, I play fantasy rugby union and fantasy cricket, but I'm rubbish and never win anything. Cricket is a perfect fantasy sport because, like baseball, it has almost unlimited statistical potential and each player has an easily measurable contribution to the team result (unlike, say soccer, where it might be difficult to measure the contribution of hard working midfielder who doesn't score or directly assist in the scoring of goals).

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm sorry, I didn't qualify my response properly. I was not basing this strictly on the number of people who compete in a particular sport. It is undoubtedly true that there are more cricket players than NFL players as the NFL consists of 32 teams with 53 players on each team.

My assessment was based upon was the number of people who are interested in, and follow a particular sport. The NFL has TV contracts with so many different countries, I wouldn't even want to guess at the number. The NFL is extremely popular in Mexico, and the majority of South America. You can get the NFL Sunday Ticket in Japan, South Korea, and a host of other Asian countries. It's also popular in the Middle East, with both Iran and Israel having TV contracts. It is also my understanding that while the NFL doesn't compare to soccer in most European countries, in is still very popular.

I don't think I have to defend a sport like basketball, as that is clearly played all over the world. Maybe I was harsh in stating that cricket wouldn't make the top 10 in most popular world sports, but I do not think it ranks among the elite in terms of popularity.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.