1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Al Gore has won an Oscar, an Emmy and now the Nobel Peace Prize:

All the accomplishments of the last year are raising speculation that Gore may run for prez in 2008. That would shake things up a bit, especially for Hillary. Will he or won't he? I don't think he will.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21262661/

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Me neither. BTW, I'm a bit opposed to him getting the Nobel prize at the moment. While I definitely agree that he has done something noteworthy and I support his cause, I perceive the Nobel award as a recognition of an accomplishment, not of progress. Mr. Gore has done an okay job raising awareness of the issue, but I believe that he still has a way to go before receiving such a decoration. "Laying the foundations" for the effort to fight global warming is quite a broad - and vague - term.

I would like to clarify that I am not comparing Gore to other Nobel laureates; I simply voice my opinion on the meaning of the Nobel Prize in general.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The last few years it has been hard to find real "peace" makes to give the prize to so they just hand it out to random do-gooders.

4. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

they lost all credibility the year they awarded it to arafat. a terrorist winning the peace prize. since then it has been just one more comical award after another

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, it's like any other prize or award. People will agree or disagree based upon a personal agenda. Witness the sour grapes from those with a differing agenda from Gore's, or say Carter's, and it becomes evident. Both men have demonstrated an overiding concern for humanity with their endeavors. Some have recoginized this concern regardiing the current state of the "human condition," and have recognized those who are willing to engage in specific issues that affect that condition.

For instance, poor people, or people who have faced hardships, sometimes need homes. This is a specific issue that Carter became a driving force in with Habitat for Humanity, and he has made a positive difference in some people's lives. I'm not saying that that is why he won the Nobel, but Carter has been recognized by other hunanitarian organizations for his ongoing, or progressive, projects dealing with specific issues. It transcends politics - for some.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Arafat was no more a terrorist than Peres, Netanyaho (sp) or Sharon. At the time it looked liked Israeli/Palestinian conflict might be resolved to then award the people behind it is not so bad.

Awarding Carter and Gore is not popular among the proper leftists though who find it abhorrent to reward any high ranking American politician as the US is seen as the number one warmongering trigger for a possible nuclear holocaust. They view that any good they could have done out of office pales in the evils they were part of while in office.

So all you righties, join with your pacifist communist friends and renounce the Gore and Carter awards. ;)

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I am reminded that the term "terrorist" is idiotic. The English would have used the same term to describe the Sons of Liberty just before the Revolution, had such a term existed. Dressing up as indians, boarding royal ships, attacking loyal British citizens in the streets, tar and feathering them, taking them to the Liberty Tree, burning down their houses, vandalizing private property of those who supported the "rightful king," they were often violent and cruel. In other words, "terrorizing" those who held the opposite political opinions than they did.

Today they are thought of as patriots and the Sons of Liberty (and rightly in my opinion). Because the former is only a two-dimensional view, as seen by a loyal supporter of the King of England, who would have thought of it as his moral duty to support the Royal government. But it appears we are stuck with the term "terrorist"; it's become part of the larger discourse. I prefer something more forward, like "Islamofascist." :)

8. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Gore/Obama

(one can dream)

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, if we're dreaming

Jesus/Mohammed

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He-Man / Chewbacca

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Get real, guys. Jesus, Mohammed, He-Man and Chewbacca can't run for President of the United States since they're not natural born citizens of the United States and they haven't resided in the United States for at least 14 years. :p

As religious icons, Jesus and Mohammad would probably run for the Republicans. He-Man would choose Arnold Schwarzenegger as his running mate, and I think Chewbacca would run with Ralph Nader. :grin:

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Come on, everyone knows that He-Man was born in Anaheim. Can't you tell? Look at the hair and the outfit. He only moved to Eternia as a child when his dad got promoted to king and they moved into Greyskull. Greyskull...White House...come on. Besides, since defeating Skelator in the 80's He-Man's taken up residence in West Hollywood.

Shows how much you know.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK now; while quite amusing this is way off-topic and this is the serious discussion forum.

14. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah, this is the serious part of the internet, people! :mad:
    :)

I think that the media is downplaying the fact that Gore shares his prize with the IPCC. Ask the average person and they probably have no idea about that fact. (Actually, ask the average person, and they probably have NO IDEA about current events at all, but that is a different matter.) I imagine that some of that is coming from people that want to see him run.

I don't think Gore will run for president. If he couldn't beat Bush, what with all the ill-will toward W. out there at the time AND all of the money that people like Soros were giving to the Democratic effort, I really don't think that the Nobel Peace Prize is going to do any more to help him. The climate change issue is his passion now and he can focus on that better if he is not president.

Bauer/ Fudd for president!

15. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I'm completely underwhelmed by his "achievement." If he becomes president by some fluke I suppose I'd better stock up on incandescent light bulbs. Of course if I do that I suppose I can expect the jack-booted enviropolice to come and confiscate my arsenal of death dealing light bulbs. I guess I could buy an indulgence, er I mean a carbon offset from Pope Al so I could reduce my time in purgatory.

I think there's a possibility that he'll run. He might try ride this to the White House. I think he'd lose to Hillary, though.

GB - Do you mean Elmer Fudd? Right On! He's as good as any.

[ October 15, 2007, 20:15: Message edited by: Dinsdale ]

16. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Elmer Fudd, indeed. His "anti-wabbit" stance appeals to me. I also think that him saying "nucwear" would be more endearing than Bush's nook-u-lear.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think this is an utter joke. Gore is an idiot -- it's not like he single-handedly made that movie, and he's sure as hell not the first guy to tell the world about global warming.

To be honest, though, the Peace Prize is a nice idea, but it's too easy to give it to anyone who happens to be being politically correct at the time. I think it's useless. I'm more interested in the Nobel science awards. Don't get me started on the literature ones.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure I agree with the Nobel Prize on this issue -- yet. But then again, I really had no idea of who should have recieved it this year. In years past there were a few obvious choices. I generally agree with the choices, although the absolute best in recent history was Jody Williams.

I disagree with Martaug. The prize has been given to several individuals in the past who have made efforts to mend the rifts caused by violence. I can remember a lecture in a terrorism intelligence class beginning with the question, 'what is the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter.' Answer: it depends on which side you're for.

Gore might run, but I don't think he would carry the nomination. It is rare to have a candidate lose once and come back to win another year (Nixon did it, I'm sure Gore would like to be in that peer group). Giles: There was no ill will against Bush when Gore ran against him -- that was his first term. Well, only the usual Left vs. Right ill will.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Al Gore ran against GWB in 2000. There was no ill will back then towards GWB, at least nationally, that I'm aware of. In Texas, where he had been governor, there was a few of us who felt a hint of what was to come, and what would befall the nation during the last seven years. In 2000 it was widely publcized that GWB had tons of money in contributions, even before he came out of the gate, so I'm not sure if Gore really had an advantage there either. You may also have forgotten that Gore won the popular vote, but not the right mix of states. And it was the Supreme Court that ruled against Al Gore, stopping the recount in Florida.

Of course, :)

Almost every article I've read on the Nobel, included the UN Climate panel. The link I posted even included it in the headline. But I'm not sure what your point is regarding the panel and Gore.

I suppose. At least they would have a reason, unlike the current crop of minions of GWB's, who can put you anywhere they choose without a reason. They may even take you off to Gitmo, Dins. :eek: If they take you, I will write a blistering tirade against them here on SP, as I have against the current "Blackwater" jack booters now serving - and getting quite rich at it - the current regime. You know how effective that has been.... :p

20. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    think that the media is downplaying the fact that Gore shares his prize with the IPCC.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost every article I've read on the Nobel, included the UN Climate panel. The link I posted even included it in the headline. But I'm not sure what your point is regarding the panel and Gore. :from chandos
    well, the biggest one for me is the fact that the prize can be awarded to no more than 3 people at a time according to their own rules. in the past this had lead to some big exclusions from teams whose leaders won & they received no acknowledgement of their contributions.

i have always thought the peace prize was a popularity contest for the politically correct,especially after they never awarded it to ghandi. if anyone ever deserved it, he did.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.