1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Bush and those Albanians

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Bush went to Albania just recently, where he 'hugged the crowds' in a nice photo op. Foreign policy must be good for something I reckon.

Now Albania is the sort of place where I wouldn't even like to be buried (which in Albania, can be arranged), even though my view is probably unfair and does injustice to some nice mediterranean landscape -- but then, I could go to Croatia, where the people are civilised and, unlike the Albanians, they have abandoned the practice of vendetta.
    To make it short, Albanians have sort of a bad reputation, founded in the perception that primary Albanian exports are the Albanian Mafia, and Albanian pickpockets. Followed by textiles and shoes. That explains a lot about what follows.

I just watched this little clip about Georgies visit to Albania and it appears to me that while he was enjoying the group hugs, some crafty Albanian stole his watch from his arm, under the eyes of the Secret Service. Watch the watch, and take care of all the arms that touch Bush's arm. It really looks like it.

While Tony Snow was quick to comment that Bush put the watch into his pocked, I find that implausible after watching the clip. This article sais that the watch fell off and a bodyguard picked it up. So maybe a failed attempt of theft? I wouldn't discount that.

But all this conrtradicting information confuses me, and probably the truth is already a state secret. I want clear results. To find out the truth, let's POLL!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 8 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Bush and those Albanians (8 votes.)

Was Bush's watch lifted or not? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, it was lifted. - 50% (4)
    * No, it just fell off Bush's arm. - 13% (1)
    * It was tried to lift the watch, but the attempt failed. - 38% (3)

2. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If they'd caught the man, there would probably have been some kind of fuss. Since they're wasn't, I suppose it was lifted and they're trying to sweep it under the carpet...

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Judging by the description of the video the poster claims it has been proven that he took it off and put it in his pocket. I personally would like to think that it was lifted, as that would be a fantastic story. Almost worthy of Ocean's 14

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well atleast somewhere Bush is liked, and to be fair Albania has progressed a lot, considering what it was ten years ago or so. There might still be hope for that country.

5. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

It's gone.

As 0:51 his watch is still on the left wrist, then a group of hands wrap around all over his forearm, and though he lowers his arm for a moment, out of shot behind all the hand-shakers/huggers, it goes nowhere near his pants. By 1:03, his left wrist is bare.

And so what? Somebody got a cool souvenir; good for them. If presented the same opportunity, I'd be hard pressed to say I'd do anything differently. One of the most powerful people in the world, and you get to shake hands with him and grasp his arm - are you NOT going to try to get a keepsake?

An eon ago, when Prince Charles and Princess Di visited, my mother and some of her friends met some of the crew of the Royal Yacht; somehow she managed to persuade/cajole/trick one of them into giving her his uniform cap - she's still got the momento.

If I were Bush, I'd be admitting it and laughing it off - it's a TRIVIAL thing to lose during a 'pressing the flesh' exercise; almost a due expense of it.

To cover this up shows how insecure the Administration is; they cannot show any weakness or foible of their puppet. :(

EDIT: Oh, and Rags? Ya ain't gonna get the TRUTH by asking a poll of people who weren't directly involved in the event - just opinions! :lol:

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    jaded, you sure?

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Saw the video a few days ago and lmao. This video has some better quality though, and now I can see that he still has the watch after those 'critical' frames. It looks like he felt 300+ Albanians trying to make a grab for his watch (which would be genetical ;) ), he quickly pockets it and walks on.

Bush learned something again, when hundreds of Europeans are cheering for you and want to touch you, they just want your valuables.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, I saw it (actually, my boss showed it to me), and it seems that his watch did get stolen. BTW, the Albanian authorities said that it was later found and given to Laura Bush before the couple left.

From what I know, it was a normal Timex, which makes sense in a way - you don't want to carry too much valuables if you are meeting a crowd like that ;) . However, it had an inscription on the back with the date Bush entered into office, so it would be one heck of a souvenir. It's a pity they had to give it back - if they did, that is, and it's not the Albanian government trying to downplay the situation.

Mind you, I am more worried about what Bush was saying while in Albania than what he left there...

9. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I saw the clip on Colbert's show, and it looked to me as if you can clearly see an Albanian hand working the watch off Bush's wrist.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It would be greatly embarrasing for the Albanian government if Bush went public about this. So from a diplomatical point of view it's probably better for everyone to keep this down, if the watch was stolen that is.

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
  12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Now you know where Bush's next presidential candidacy will be. :shake: He'll just need to put on a Swatch the next time... :p

13. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Um....which of the several things I opined about do I need to be sure of again?!? :)

Well, after re-reviewing it, I'm torn between "someone lifted the watch successfully" or "he felt someone start to lift the watch, pulled his hand back, and it fell on the ground on his side of the barrier". I'm sure Bush doesn't have his hand close enough to any pocket nor for enough time to place the watch in one.

And to drift on a tangent like I always do :rolleyes: I'm actually surprised he came back from that 'scrum' with all ten fingers - accomplished pickpockets (of any ethnicity!) can pilfer things in the blink of an eye - a pro would've passed up on the watch and instead made off with Bush's FINGERNAILS! :lol: (c'mon - a fortune on eBay! :D )

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Apparantly it was stolen: some expert commented that you can see the movement on sec. 57. And the best thing is, the newspapers said that it will be sold at E-bay :)

Is this a fad among US politicians now? When McCain went to Iraq, someone from his group bought carpets for 20 dollars, now Bush leaves his watch... Is this some form of undercover development aid or what ;) ?

15. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

"Bush learned something again, when hundreds of Europeans are cheering for you and want to touch you, they just want your valuables."

It could happens in my neighbourhood as well.
    Same thing happens to a famous(local) Argentinian Football trainer in the near Republic of Paraguay.
    It almost a copycat of the Bush incident.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.