1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is resting cheesy?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ishmael, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Would you consider resting cheesy? It is realistic to rest at an Inn, or holed up in a dark corner of a dungeon; But is it realistic to rest 16 hours after every other battle? Real life adventurers would probably see the party in BG2 as the laziest group of people ever.

Would you promote restrictions to resting? Ie no more than a few gours in a dungeon, or at least disallow slamming the door on a massive horde then resting 16 hours on the other side, only to open the door the the 10 trolls who only say "It's about time" before rejoining battle.

Speaking of which, why in the seven hells can creatures (even human creatures) not open doors? It's ridiculous.

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

No, resting isn't cheating even Drizzt, Bruenor, Wulfgar and Regis rest after battleing out of the Troll Shaws.

I only rest when I need to, like after fighting Firkaag or something not a group of Goblins.

I've never done the close the door thing and rest. That seems like a waste of time.

3. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I would say that it depends... If you play as a Fighter class character, i'd say you needn't rest too often. Just a wee bit of healing and you are as good as new.

A Mage or Sorcerer however, casting a spell in every battle, need to rest as soon as their spells run out, since they aren't much use in melee combat without Tenser's Transformation or the like...

Btw, in Neverwinter nights, the enemy-not-being-able-to-open-doors bug has been fixed. Not that you would need such a cheat anyway... :rolleyes:

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Resting can be *cheap*, but it's not - and never will - be cheesy.
    Unless of course you've put your opponent under a curse that will kill him in a few hours time and decide to rest out the wait.

5. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31

Yes, then it could probably be worth resting...

Hmm, so i need to contribute to SP in some way to be rid of my gem thingy under my name...

Maybee i will write my own version of an Nwn walktrough, BUT, with the addition of exact positions of every NPC in the game... :p

I may return in a year or two... Or not...

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If I have to rest more than once per dungeon I consider myself to have failed that dungeon so I reload.

Despite the fact that time has no real affect on the game (major plot wise) I can't stand the idea of leaving Imoen all holed up with Jon and a bunch of horny wizards doing gods knows what to her.

I do find resting to be cheesy and it makes the game far too easy if you do it after every battle.

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't consider resting cheating/cheesy as it is a neccessary part of the game. It's a simple fact that Mages and Clerics need to rest to rememorise their spells.

However, for clerics especially, this is pushing the realms of believability. Most clerics in Faerun pray to a particular God for their spells, but most have dedicated times of the day when they have to pray for these spells. So how does that work is you can rest 3-4 times a day???

I tend to play my parties the other way and probably don't rest often enough. I am very frugal with the spells that I use, and I suppose I let some fights drag out longer than they need. But, I do always insists on casting the lowest level possible spell to get the job done. This makes sense to me as you can have more lower level spells available, so pick from them first and use the wands/scrolls as well.

Maybe you just need more spellcasters/healers to share the burden and do use all your spells in one go.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Given how much a heavy duty fight would literally take out of a person, I don't find resting as a whole to be a cheesy maneuver. Resting in a hostile dungeon CAN be cheesy, but not always -- for instance, in Firkraag's dungeon, I find an out-of-the-way spot to hole up, I don't sleep right out in the open hallways.

I think there should be some more time constraints to the game, though, to force you to harbour your spells a little more judiciously. I've never seen what happens in the Drow City when you don't meet her time restrictions, but more of that sort of thing would be cool.

9. Drust the good Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

The most exciting time I had playing the game was one time when I was in the drow city. I did some quests and did not have time to rest, they keep telling me to go to the next spot soon, so I thought I could not rest.
    Spoiler
    Went and killed the demon, then killed the linch, then had to kill all of the drow in the city, this is right after coming from the beholders lair all without resting, after I was done all scrolls potions, and spells gone. It is fun using spells that you do not use very often.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As long as games are planned the way they are, resting can't be cheesy. Though someone avoiding rest certainly receives some amount of respect from me, I still wouldn't berate someone for resting almost every chance they got.

The reason for this is that a normal adventuring party, unlike an average BG2 party, will not battle 50 orcs, 20 wolves, 5 werewolves, 5 vampires, 1 other adventuring party with top-notch weapons, around 5 different golems, 1 big ogre, 1 beholder, 1 fire elemental and a red dragon with a powerful mage as a helper, all in one single dungeon... While average level of a character in the party would be no more than around 10-14. Obviously if the average adventure in the game only had a few encounters per day, then there wouldn't be a need to rest all the time.

Still, mistakes such as with NWN are unforgivable. Mages should've been more powerful, and all classes should've been able to rest in town areas only. No game is so screwed that you *need* to rest after every single room so you can blast 5 fireballs with a few cloudkills at every single enemy that comes along.

11. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sometimes when you rest you get attatcked by wandering monsters causing you to be in a worse situation than if you didnt rest, rest is not cheesy, though I try to rest only when the sun is down at begginning levels to avoid Vampires

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Resting is fine with me. How else is a non-healing class able to restore HP? Especially if you solo.

I'm accustomed to sleeping a lot from the old 2E games... the ones where you fight hordes of monsters, not like in BG2. I mean, dragons were common and came in groups of 3, human fighter and mage groups came in packs of 20, Iron golems attack in groups of up to 12. And in these combats, I get hit a lot and use up all the important spells quickly, so I often rest after every battle.

But what this game needs is MORE monsters interrupting your sleep. In the old 2E games, despite having to rest so much, it was RISKY to sleep unless at a known safe point. By risky I mean you might get attacked up that same group of 20 humans that you've just expended your spells on... so you risk having to fight them all over again WITHOUT your spells (interrupted from sleep means spells not restored).

Right now, the BG2 dungeons seem a bit too safe, as in you can hole and heal anytime you want. The worst thing that can happen is two skeleton warriors interrupt you. Maybe if you get interrupted from sleep more often, then the dungeons would appear more dangerous, and resting won't seem as cheap either.

13. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

They way I play, I try to go through areas and never rest unless it is in an inn. I have only rested once outside of an inn in my latest trek and that was just to progress in my romance. I find that unless I am completely wiped of all spells, potions and items, it is more enjoyable to keep going.

@Foradasthar
    I guess that makes me above average. No rest for the skilled. :coffee:

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't find resting cheesy. I do find it unrealistic however when you are a non-healing character and rest for 5 weeks just to recover hit points. Quite hilarious when you rescue Imoen by the 2000th day.

15. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i dont think resting is cheesdom at all
    it could just as well be considererd wisdom
    everybody has to rest to heal and to regain energy
    so no
    resting is definitly cheating

16. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually some characters CAN open doors. The first time I went into that pretty room in Irenicus' dungeon and set off the alarm I tried closing a door on the Golems. They opened it. Not fun.

And I don't find I need to rest after every battle, just usually the bosses. When leaving the drow city I didn't even strategise, I just let my characters hack away. In face in most cases I don't use the spells I have available, I just let the characters go to it and occassionally direct them as needed. Just your basic attack enemies script and it's all good. most of my resting was for identifying purposes this last time around, because I don't have a lot of high lore characters.

17. Muskstick Gems: 2/31

Resting isn't cheesy all the time, if your trying to work out what is cheesy just think, what would i do if i was in the characters position (apart from running away screaming)

18. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

I hate resting. I know there isn't any time limit, but still it's not my thing. I rest about once per chapter outside, and not so often at inns either. Many times I find myself sneaking through Bridge district with Valen blinded by sunlight and my protagonist all out of spells and party of cowled enforcers and amnish soldiers come after me.

19. Symm Gems: 2/31

The problem I have with resting is that it takes 8 hours at a time.

It would be nice to be able to rest for 1 hour (a lunch break maybe) and regain some spells of your own choosing.

I think an 8 hour rest (i.e a sleep) should be restricted to once per day, unless a character is fatigued by a spell.

I also think a 1 hour rest should be restricted to 3 times per day, sort of elevenses, lunch and dinner.

20. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hello and Welcome to the boards :wave:

I think that a 1 hour rest is a good idea but only for regaining HP and not spells, it would be unrealistic to think that a mage or cleric could memorise an entire scroll/ book in one hour.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.