1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does freedom of speech really exist.

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You can insult somebody all you want provided what you say about them is true. You can even shout somebody down if they're making a statement if you want. However when asked to leave the premises (provided you're on public property) because of shouting down somebody you must do it or you can be arrested for tresspassing.

Freedom of speech does work and you are entitled to it whenever you want however just because you're exercising your right to freedom of speech doesn't make you immune to other laws. You have freedom of speech but everyone else has freedom to ignore.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Wait - how is killing the neighbours cat 'speech'? That would be freedom of action - a totally different thingy.

But you should be able to talk about killing the neighbour's cat all you like :)

3. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

As George Gordon Battle Liddy once said,"Walking up to Ted Kennedy and relieving my self on his leg would be the perfect expression of how I feel about him." So I would imagine that you must draw the line somewhere. I think the answer to the question is, freedom of any kind is not free and it comes with great responsibility. I think that Michelle Malkin, like the Dixie Chicks, found out that exercising freedom of speech has a cost attached to it. Most freedoms do. Michelle Malkin is free to produce her own outlett to express her views. No media company is obligted to provide her with a platform to express her views from. She is free to express herself all day long. If youTube will not help her bring her message to the masses she is free to form her own company and compete with them in the open market. This has nothin to do with her being denied her freedom. If anything it highlights her options in a free society.

4. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If you are free to hurt my personality then I am free to hurt your body. But it is not a good idea. However, it is forbidden by laws. Insulting is not different from beating. One is the psychological and the other one is the physical way of doing the same thing.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Not here, you're not, at least legally. One is words, the other is assault. If I deliberately say something that I know will upset you to the point of making you want to commit a crime, you just might be able to get off in court, but other than thatyou have no protection. The law is based on the idea that mature people should have grasped the kindergarten lesson of "sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS CAN NEVER HURT ME" (emphasis mine). If you haven't, you'll be the one to end up in jail, not the person who does not more than say something.

Actually, it is. A repeated pattern of extreme insults can turn into psychological assault over time, but if you're talking about flying into a rage over one offhand remark, I think it's time to grow a thicker skin.

[ October 19, 2006, 19:57: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Actually no. If I offend you verbaly and your response is physical harm, you will go to jail and I will go free.
    unless in extreme cases where I deliberately mock you into a fight.

the only option you have legaly to my offence is, if its in public, to accuse me of slander and proof it, or return the verbal offence, or simply ignore it.

Freedom of speech, is limited to speech, it dosn't cover physical actions like hitting me or killing neighbors cats.

7. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Freedom of speech ends where it becomes to be insult and this is the last thing I will say about that topic.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

You can't claim rights for yourself without accepting that everyone else has the same rights. And you can't deny rights to others without denying them to yourself.

Thus, be very careful what you deny or force upon others.

Freedom of speech does not exist in any absolute way. For example, if I visit a friends home, it is understood that I don't have the right to insult him, his wife or their children. These are the rules of the house, as set down by the owners, and I am free to stay away if I don't like it.

The same can be said for the old question of whether you can shout "Fire" in a crowded theater. You have been admitted to watch a show, not to make a nuisance of yourself, and the proprietor has the right to evict you if you don't behave. It comes down to property rights, and I don't see the need for politicians to tell us what we can or cannot say.

In fact I don't trust any kind of politician - be they elected, "elected" or downright non-elected - to define what I should or should not be allowed to say! Because any politician would have an interest in limiting my right so that I can only freely speak his or her mind - all in the nation's best interest, of course!!

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I think one of the biggest problems we face regarding free speech anymore is that many people seem to think that others should feel honored and privileged to have bestowed upon them the speaker’s wisdom. Whatever happened to the phrases “I think”and “ In my opinion”? Witness a case right here – Argohir obviously has very strong feelings about what “freedom of speech” SHOULD mean, and refuses to accept that something else has been implemented in the law.

I am very glad that I don’t yet live in a country where a single stubborn, ignorant, loudmouth can impose his opinions on the the populace at large but, to judge from the article that TGS posted at the beginning of this thread, that day might be uncomfortably close.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

But you do live in a country where the Pres will ban a song to look like he is actuall doing something useful during a time of crisis. In case anyone is wondering the song is 'Mississippi's Burning' shortly after Katrina hit.

Also US media is very restrictive and will not show/play anything that may upset certain certain influencial groups. How many radio stations refused to play that Eminem song about 11 September or HBO refusing to show a documentry on Fidel Castro, or how many foreign movies are shown in the US in general?

Terms like "commie" "leftie" "anti-American" "liberal" and countless others are used to censor peoples opinions.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Hence the word "yet".

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

We do have similar things here and some unique violations of freedom of speech, for example the discussion of N.Irish politics is banned in most work places because a few people are not mature enough to have a mature discussion without resorting to violence, and most pubs/clubs will not allow anyone access if they are wearing football shirts as this promotes 'sectarian violence'

13. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Freedom of expression is a privilege that also comes with a great responsibility.
    One must be able to accept the consequences of his expressions.

In our days more and more people seem to easy and fond to express their opinions (publicly or privately) but when the time comes to accept responsibility they look shocked that they could not get away with it.

So i think that in the end we (that is as a society) are traumatizing this privilege, by proving ourselves (not all but even one is enough to do this for all) unworthy of this concept.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Mithrandir: What exactly are you talking about when you say that people need to accept the consequences? Because I don't see why anyone should accept the consequence of - say - speaking against Muhammed.

If using your free speech is punished - it's not very free, is it?

15. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Everything you say and/or do comes with consequences. Freedom is never free, it must be fought for every time you exercise your freedom. If you sayor do something that causees trouble, whether you intended to or not, be prepared to fight for your freedom. That is why One must be able to accept the consequences of thier expressions. Freedom of any kind is not free and it comes with great responsibility. A freed faced with the responsibility of freedom may prefer his bondage. Today, people throw around thier opinion and express themselves in a vulgar manner and then act shocked when this behavior results in negative consequences. As I said, Freedom is never free, be prepared to fight every time you exercise your freedom.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Thank you for that beautiful example of doublethink, Bassil. 'Freedom is never free' - sounds like something straight out of Oceania...

Maybe you could clarify what it is that your trying to say. Who is it that hands out the consequences? Who *should* hand out the consequences? What should these consequences be?

If the 'negative consequences' of free speech is vocal criticism - something very good has just happened; an exchange of ideas. If the concequences are suppression/oppression - things are ****ed up. I don't see how this is a desirable state of affairs.

On the other hand - I have no idea what it is that you're trying to say due to some pretty hefty contradictions in your post...

17. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Way I see it, folks just say what they like whether they're allowed to or not. The only people who care about these restrictions are the ones who would put a price on freedom.

18. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Since when did YouTube.com become the US government or a public space? It's a private company and it can set whatever rules and limits on the videos it hosts that it wants.

The same is true of sorcerers.net. I'm sure I could type a few words right now that would quickly get this post deleted. I'm certainly not going to call up the ACLU about it.

If you are an American and you have something to say, go to a public area and hold up a big sign all day long if you want and the rest of us will be more than happy to walk right on by and ignore you. ;)

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

lol - I'd quite forgotten the original topic and was just speaking in general. The company is well within their rights to take these things down, but it still isn't the best way to fight the ideas behind the videos.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

No one here is saying what YouTube must do (at least I hope they are), but what they ought to do, Sir Fink. Of course, the YouTube folks are in their full power to ignore us completely, or even post here that since we're not the ones who made several hundred millions in a few years, they don't give a damn about what we think.

Well, I didn't make millions. If someone here did, good for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.