1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What should residents of the USA be called?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Nakia, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, a person from the Netherlands is "Dutch", but he isn't "a Dutch". What do you call the person?

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Dutchman.

I'm using "Yankee" when I can't use "American". Really, not much alternatives.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Well, actually, we refer to ourselves as 'Netherlanders' in our own tongue. I think 'Dutch' comes from an old word meaning 'the people', but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

And I actually prefer 'a Dutchie' over 'a Dutchman'.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

USAnese?

:D

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I just call them a "Yank" or "Yanks". No negative connotation here, we called them that during World War II so I can't see how it can possibly be inflamatory, unless they believe that their men in World War II were bad people...

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I like Tassadar's :) but I would shorten in to USAn that were there is no confusion to our Latin American, Canadian or Brazilian brethren.

If others want to call me a Yank fine. However it is psychologically impossible for me to use the term.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The word Yankee comes from the Civil War AFAIK, which was yankees (north) vs. confederates (south). As such, I could understand if some from the south do not wish to be called by such a name.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The term Yankee dates back to our revolution and was originally used by the British as an insult in, I think, Vermont. It was adopted as a positive term.

Fel is correct in its usage during our Civil War. I was told by my grandmother that the term 'damnyank' spoken as one word was acceptable usage even by Southern ladies.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

But that begs a question, during the Second World War British and Commonwealth troops would call the USA soldiers Yanks to their faces as a method of identification, not an insult, and the American forces took no offence as far as I know.

10. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It comes from an old germanic term for "people" that was vulgar-latinized into offical "theodisca lingua" from where it became Deutsch/Duits/Dytsch/Teutsch/Tedesco and .... Dutch.

"Thedodisca lingua" means language of the common people that do not speak Welsch and dewll in central Europe. Welsch being the generic term for celts, who do not speak "Thedosica lingua".

Language problems really only came up 1871 with the birth of "Greater Alemannia", land of many names. And it's birth-problem -> Swallowing everyone with a slight language ressemblence.

Simple.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The term Yankee absolutely dates to the Revolutionary period. The British called the colonial forces Yankees, and it was derogatory. To call someone a Yankee meant that they were kind of like a country bumpkin, hick, redneck - take your pick really. It also usually meant that they were not of noble birth and low class.

I'm sure every American knows the first few lines of "Yankee Doodle" - the Revolutionary War song:

Yankee Doodle went to town
    Riding on a pony
    Stuck a feather in his cap
    and called it Macaroni

To understand what was meant, you'll need a little background history. At the time, there was a very exclusive club in England called the Macaroni club. It was sort of a who's who of England at the time, made up of all upper class individuals. It was very fashionable at the time for men to wear feathered caps as a sign of their wealth.

So the song is basically says this country hick comes riding in to town on a pony (because he was too poor to afford a horse), and just because he happened to find a feather and attach it to his hat, suddenly he thinks he's upper class.

Despite the negative connotations to the term originally, most people in the US would not consider the term negative today.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I know a different version of the origin of Yankees. It goes all the way back to when the British and Dutch were the most represented groups of Euros on the east coast, and NY in particular. It was supposedly some kind of cursename for the Dutch and here's how it saw it's first daylight... A lot of the Dutch males go by the name of Jan (even today) and they ate (and still do) quite a lot of cheese. Put Jan and Cheese together, and it spells Jancheese, which later evolved into Yankees.

Got that bit of info from the Discovery channel, so excuse me for not adding a link to a source.

13. Nakia

Media:
    Interesting, Pac Man.

@Abomination, the term Yankee or Yank is not considered negative except to a white southerner and I have no idea how much that still holds true.

After WW II I do remember jokes being told about southerners taken prisoner, called Yanks and going berserk and wiping out the prison camp. Jokes, mind you.

It doesn't bother me if someone from another country calls me a Yankee or a Yank but what should we call ourselves?

As Liriodelagua pointed out the term American refers to anyone born in North, South or Central America. The fact that no other country has appropriated the term simply means that they are aware of that fact.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Unless you are a Red Sox fan :D

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you could still get shot calling someone from a southern state a Yankee (or least earn a serious beating).

Them southern boys ain't too keen on the term Yank. Down there they're Rebs and wear the confederate flag on their hats and paste it on their windshields to prove it.

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Frank Lloyd Wright suggested the word 'Usonian' (along with other ideas as to how US culture and cities should organize themselves) and designed a set of relatively low-cost houses he called Usonian Houses. But the term didn't catch on because it was sh!te...

'American' seems to be the global consensus (when Bowie sings "I'm afraid of Americans" he's not refering to Guatamala), but I suppose 'Yanqui,' 'Seppo,' etc will do at a pinch...

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I guess the rest of the world would gladly call people from the United States of America whatever they want us to call them if only they could all agree on what they want to be called...

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't think anyone would misunderstand if you use "American" to denote "Of or pertaining to the United States of America". :)

"Yankee" is someone from the Northern states, and I think many Southeners would still resent being called that. Imagine New Englanders being called "Dixies". :p

19. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    wouldnt the term unitedstatesman or statesperson or something along the lines of "states" be appropreate since thats technically what the US is called its the united states

20. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

This thread reminds me of a conversation at Uni.
    A lass didn't want to be labelled by her nationality, so insisted on being called a "World Citizen". (Anyone want a bucket?)

We could call you "doodle dandy's" if you prefer...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.