1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Universal National Service Bill

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Nakia, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    See here

I just heard about this.

I understand it is to debated today and possibly voted on. How appropriate imo.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Interesting. Very nice to see that it's truly universal.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Canada will need to close its borders, to avoid the influx of dodgers, or am I being too :skeptic:

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    :lol: DS, maybe you've hit it. Maybe this is actually part of the immigration plan - if people realize that thay'll have two years of mandatory service upon naturalizing, will they be less likely to come? ;)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The thing I find surprising is it covers everyone between the ages of 18-42. The draft was for people 18-27. Regardless, I think I'm safe as a government contractor. As the bill states this counts too:

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I find it interesting that it does not exclude women who are mothers and have young children, unless I missed something. Again, America remains very hostile to "family values." Children are still treated as second class citizens, with little regard for their well-being.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Didn't anyone read who the author of the bill was? It was written by Charles Rangel who is the Democrat from Harlem. The entire purpose of this bill was to attack the President. He basically says so himself.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

This is BS. It won't pass.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    He would probably think it's a good idea. What was that line by Will Rogers? "I can tell a bad joke and no one gets hurt. But if someone in Washington does, it becomes a law."

10. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    cough dictatorship cough

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Come on, people. This is a gimmick bill. Introduced to make a point, there is no way somebody can take this seriously. And is quite old, at that.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Actually, if it is not fully Military, but some civilian opportunities as well, then it may not be that bad. It provides employment for the length of the term, and training that could benefit them in their future.

Military bases still need kitchen staff and the like. And some of these positions would include Community placements, which would help in other areas.

This could work...

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm thinking 'why aren't you people more angry?' Sure, after Snook's post it seems it's not serious - but without that knowledge there this is a whole lot more sinister (well, sinister doesn't describe it well...).

Gnarff: if you're serious - I'm horrified and just a little bit disgusted.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Aik, Gnarff is also Canadian. It won't affect him in the least.

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

But the point is that not every position will be on the front line in battle...

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] My great uncle was a radio officer far from the front in WW2. A bomb found his building nonetheless. ANYONE in the war is in danger.

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think Gnarf has a point.
    I have a cousin who was a conscientious objector. He went to work in a hospital and was trained as a Medical Technician.

By the way being a conscientious objector theoretically has nothing to do with being killed but with believing war is wrong.

18. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

What exactly constitutes "residing in" in US terms? I'm guessing it is related to time, does anyone know how much?

From Wiki, there is apparently is little difference between residency and citizenship.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I think it actually refers to immigrants. In other words, whether you're here legally or illegally, if you're living here, you would be called upon for service. Of course, we don't know the names of everyone who is here illegally, so it would mostly concern legal immigrants.

20. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wasn't that an american cook that became a famous as captured soldier in the Iraq war (no, not the blonde one).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.