1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Great News: Portions of Unpatriotic Act Fail!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is good news for those who value liberty and the right to privacy. While there are some good things in the Act, there are those portions that allow for the government to spy on Americans. George II loves this kind of secret, covert manipulation of the American people and their rights to information and their rights to privacy.

Even some Repulicans stood up for liberty, which is surprising, since many of them have sold their souls to this administration for a little security (and power):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10485860/

Here's more on the administration's vile attempts to undermine the American process and its liberities:

This man cares nothing for the basic principles on which this nation is founded, the due process of law, and the right to privacy and the freedom of information. The truth scares the hell out of this person and his minions. He is the worst president since Nixon regarding individual rights. The proof is in "the puddng" and it is quite sour for anyone who stands for American principles and basic fairness.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10488458/

2. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I hope they continue to refine the patriot act.To many of the rights we are supposed to be fighting for are slipping away under legislation like this.

3. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I am happy to see that at least several republicans found enough spine to stand up to this. And that the Democrats thought that it matters enough to filibuster it. I mean, really; does the government lacks enough power to monitor suspect's activities as it is? And how much more new intelligence do they need? After all, they failed to prevent 9/11 not because there was not enough intelligence, but because of screwups in interpreting the available information, and in communicating between agencies. I can understand that screwing with people's rights is easier than getting your act together (see the pitiful state the Dept. of Homeland Security is in), but come on.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hurray!
    /jumping up and down for joy and passing out Liberty drinks for everyone.

Is congress finally waking up to fact that a lot of us think the way things have headed sucks and badly?

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Regarding the consequences of the Patriot Act:

from the Wash. Post

So the bottom line is that they can investigate you when they like, and the data gathered stays forever in some government database. No reason to worry, sure; after all we are all law abiding citizens.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't do drugs. I don't break traffic laws. I don't have any dealing financially that could even be interpreted as unethical (let alone illegal).

Personally, I don't have anything to hide from the government. I would rather give the police greater freedom to stop violent crime before it happens.

If you have something to hide, changes to the patriot act are good. For everyone else it's either bad or so-so.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry, T2Bruno, but innocent people do get swept up in things like this. Even if they don't go to jail they get stigmatized. The old 'where there is smoke there is fire' syndrome. The more power the Federal government has the less power the individual has. There has to be a balance between the rights of the individual and society.

I have more chance of being killed by a car than a terrorist.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Too bad we can't say the same about those in government. And these are the guys who are supposed to be watching us? And we know they would never use any of this against their political enemies...right?

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Chandos, you must be slipping. You never miss an opportunity to give proper credit for a quote. But this is a paraphrase of a Benjamin Franklin quote of over 200 years ago.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Aldeth - Not to worry - I saw that also. I reposted it on the companion thread to this topic, "Bush Spies on Americans" (same context, different thread). :)

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm as right wing as they come, but that doesn't mean I want the government sticking their honkers into my life. If I were a U.S. Citizen, I'd be happy the bill, as it stood, was scrapped.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Great.

Champagne, I guess? :beer:

You guys on the other side of the pond pay for the round, though. It's your congress and your president. :p

14. Nakia

Media:
    Chev, I'll gladly pay for a round or two but please don't rub it in about him being my president. :o At least congress seems to be waking up to its responsibilities.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You're right on that one. /me pays for the round ;)

Normally, one would think about congress babble preventing the president from doing his job, but it looks like the current congress is putting the president in line when he flips out. Good job.

16. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Well, the Patriot act was temporarily extended by the Senate (for 6 months), in order to allow for more discussion. This extension is contingent on the approval of the House, and on GWB's signature.

Now, what I'd like would be for the House and GWB to stand by their previous statements:
    Then the Patriot act would truly expire.

You think that's going to happen ? Nah. Bush is already declaring victory
    You gotta love this spin :) (The quotes are from this WP article )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.