1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LEAST Favorite NPC

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Probably, such a shame you cant kill him, steal it, and then raise him to take the piss... aah well, ill find a way. Probably involving an army of kobolds.

2. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31

If you talk to the dragon in sulldeneselar you can get all your stuff taken including boo + the necklace + all the annoying things that block you from using slots; just take everything else off and then talk to the dragon and bye bye blocked slots!

3. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31

sounds like a bit of a painful way in my opinion... I think ill just let him keep it, and concentrate on trying to annoy minsc

4. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31

hmm... you know maybe boo is an evil archmage who took control of minsc who was once a powerful sorcerer and if you remove boo minsc's int jumps up to 18... :hmm:

5. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31

nah, that cant be right, minsc doesnt have:
    a) a dodgy beard
    b) a dodgy english accent
    c) a dodgy cloak

6. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31

yeah but think about it: boo as a familiar... and doesn't the cheesy accent come with the intellegence?

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm actually a pretty understanding person who can overlook most faults, so I can tolerate a lot of character flaws so long as they're useful. In that respect, I do include party members that get bashed a lot and I'll justify my choices.

Anomen - haven't we all gone through a phase, younger or older, where we've tried to make ourselves out as more than we actually are? The bottom line is that he is well-meaning, packs an awesome Crom Faeyr, and he matures as the game progresses. Much like real life.

Jaheira - Though her alignment is deemed neutral, her personality blurs the line between that and goodness. Despite the flaws of being rather sometimes critical and overbearing, she is a strong-willed, resolute, and well meaning person. She's also a very beautiful woman, and one that I enjoy romancing time and time again in the game.

Imoen - A relatively innocent girl, and you don't expect her to get spooked now and again? Easily outdoes Nalie for usefulness as a thief and mage.

Now back on topic. My least favorite NPC is far and away Jan Jansen. Most people in real life could take a hint about not constantly spinning out stupid stories about the turnip business of all subjects. Yet in BG2, Korgan of all people threatens to gut him with his axe, and he's still yakking away. AND he's a totally useless NPC when it comes to a fight.

Fact is, in IWD2 I almost cried when I realized that they were using the same voice actor for Oswald Fiddlebender.

8. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31

quote:
    "I can tolerate a lot of character flaws so long as they're useful"

What's wrong with the stories once in a while? Sounds like you're kind of taking the game too seriously and your beggining to sound like that arrogant ****** Anomen. Jan was my favorite character and I found him quite a useful thief and also, who else is there before chapter 4? Yoshimo? He can't even pick pocket! You don't by any chance play a cleric or paladin? It might explain...The game feel is greatly improved by the lack of complete seriousness through the game and the little things that are amusing. Jan happens to be one of them and i'm damn glad he's in it. The three most hated characters of mine happen to be Imoen, Anomen and Jaheira for their super "seriousness".

9. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

[​IMG] Well, I basically just meant anyone you associate with, including, but not limited to, Neeber (that guy is such a @%&*$&^$%&@^%$@*#!@#*%@$%&^@$(*&@%$&%&^(@$%!!!!!!!!!!!)

[ December 10, 2002, 00:14: Message edited by: Tarol'azh ]

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Who's taking the game to seriously?

on topic: Haer D

11. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

[​IMG] Virne: since this thread is the 1st time I've become aware of your existence, is your title Latin? What does it say? :hmm:

[Do not post off-topic questions to a particular person. PM or email them instead. - BTA]

[ November 15, 2002, 23:20: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now that its been brought up,

My protagonist is a fighter/mage for the good party. I also play a fighter/thief when I'm in the mood for the evil side of the game, and I romance Viconia in that instance. For the sake of including a not so serious NPC, I also bring along Minsc in my good party. Nor is Imoen so super serious. She does after all hit on Keldorn in TOB even knowing that he's a married man. My point about Jan is too much of anything can at best be annoying, and at worst downright aggravating. All the more so when he can't take a hint from another NPC.

Anomen is included for his usefulness, and while I don't altogether like everything about his personality, he's not that bad a guy come a certain point in the game. In truth, it is Keldorn who brings a certain pillar of dignity into the party.

Incidentally, Jaheira occassionally does have a sense of humour. And all this is spite of the very serious circumstances of Khalid's death and the Harper betrayal. Being a beautiful woman in such circumstunces, who wouldn't love her?

Finally, yes, it's just a game. But our opinions on NPCs was solicited by this thread, which by its very nature involves opinions on aspects of the various personalities. For my part, the language with which I've expressed my distaste for Jan Jansen is tame compared to the above posts on Imoen (disintegrate her!) and Anomen (i regretted chunking him because i wanted to kill him some more). Not that I mind it of course.

[ November 15, 2002, 23:55: Message edited by: Beren ]

13. Gholam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd have to say Minsc. I really hate that guy. He aint good for nothing. Okay, he might be kind of good at high levels, but then the rest of your party are far superior to him. I really hate that guy, can't understand what people like about him. He aint even cool. I just think he's too darn stupid to not say those funny things all the time.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hated Jaheira right from the get go. Cernd is a close second.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There was a poll somewhere here..."Your favorite NPC." Check it out and see who has least of votes.

It seems Imoen is quite popular, according to the poll, and was in the third place when I voted, so don´t mock her. She´s a great mage and always in my party. (With Aerie and Viconia, if you take my point ;) )

Tarol´azh, yes; it´s latin. "Every man makes his own fortune."

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My least favorite is Aerie. She just is.

17. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Anomen, Saemon Haverian and Salvanas. AFter all, you didnt say playable NPC's.

18. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have never played a game with Minsc, he sux. Aerie is far too annoying and lame. I agree with Korgan and Viconia about her. Once I took her with me in the party so that I could take her to the Underdark. In Ust Natha I found the bracers of lameness and the Ring of Folly, put them on her and walked out. She deserves it, weak loser...

19. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Mazzy was the most annoying for me :p not because of dialog just becuase i got her killed before going 3 screens away from where she joined.. then ofcourse i didn't have a res spell so i just through her out of my party end of mazzy :p

20. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Lets see, their was Jaheira, Nalia, Anomen, Imoen, and that is pretty much it.

[ November 30, 2002, 04:06: Message edited by: reepnorp ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.