1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good News for Americans who Value Their Freedoms

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Jun 16, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Gnarf,

Is also free speech.

some funny comments from Pat Morrison on the Huffington Post:

there's more, too :) The Huffington Post

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Toilet paper with a flag on it would be just a little too tasteless...

What this ammendment wants to do is protect one line that should not be crossed. Freedom of speech is important, but if it is abused, then it could (needs to?) be curtailed.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I am sorry, but why is it a line not to be crossed?

The flag in itself isn't holy. The flag stands for an idea, and for an ideal.

When America stands for an idea, for an ideal, but doesn't reflect this idea and ideal in her politics, what then does the flag represent?

If America would turn into a dictatorship over night, would be flagburning then still be 'over the line'? Would that still be an 'abuse' of freedom of speech? Just a point.

Wether flagburning is good taste is indeed another question. Brain dead flag worshipping ain't all that much better, too.

However, from an aestheic point of view I find it quite sensible to outlaw bad taste. My proposal: 6 Months Style Education Camp (SEC) for Birkenstocks + white socks outside your home! Or for other horrors.
    I find the option of jailing in half of Florida on the sound legal basis of having a really really bad taste quite striking.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'd prefer to execute all of florida, but I could settle for imprisonment.

5. Gnarfflinger

Symbolism is very real to the Religious folks out there. To many Christian faiths, the crucifix is a symbol of the sacrifice made by Jesus Christ on our behalf. To deface this symbol is a gross outrage to these people. Likewise, to the patriotic, the Flag is the symbol of the country they love. They would be just as angry if it were defaced in their presence. It is not the cloth and pattern, but what it represents. If you will not outlaw defacing it, then perhaps you ought to turn a blind eye to what mobs do to people that burn one...

6. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Its quite a stretch to go from burning an inamimate object to letting a mob do whatever they want to a person dont ya think.As has already been pointed out I can buy napkins and an arrray of other things with the flag on it,I fail to see how blowing my nose on it or wiping my mouth on it is any better than burning it.
    Also I think the promblem goes deeper than just the flag.Free speech is one of the cornerstone's of the American ideal once you start outlawing any expression of it that does not harm anyone or incite people to be harmed I think it is a very dangerouse road.

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well Finland has very strict regulations and laws about how the flag is to be used correctly. Using the flag incorrectly is a crime and a punishable act. This is one of the many laws which have remained from the WWII and while I do see it as some kind of breach of the freedom of speech I at the same time don't see why anyone should be allowed to burn or misuse the Finnish flag in any way. The problem to some might be though that you are not allowed to flag whenever you want. There are certain special dates when you are allowed to flag such as the day of independence.

Of course I think there is a major difference between keeping such old laws and taking them to use.

8. Gnarfflinger

True, but then again, there's places like Abu Ghraib and Guantanomo...

That, to me, is the line between tasteless and treasonous. I believe that would constitute Sedition to some degree...

I'm not sure about that. Trying to incite negative emotions towards the Nation who's laws you live under is not becoming of any civilian...

9. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

True, but then again, there's places like Abu Ghraib and Guantanomo

Excatly why I think you should still be able to burn the flag.

10. Ragusa

Media:
  11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Where do you find these things Ragusa? They are extremely funny :grin:

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So protest of any sort, in your opinion, is treason.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    Of course, with weakening the home front, you aid the enemy and, thus, become a treasonous backstabber.

The U.S. right has already knitted a 'Dolchstoßlegende' for the Vietnam war (it was them dastardly protesters, without those commie-loving Jane Fonda types we'd have won the war), and will try the same for the current wars ...

See? Underway ... http://www.conservativepetitions.com/petitions.php?id=277

[ June 27, 2005, 15:32: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were sure of it. I suggest you reference the Sedition Acts of 1798. This is Jefferson's (and Madison's) response, as it appears in the Virginia Resolution:

Not withstanding the Bill of Rights to the Constitution:

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/rcah/html/ah_002600_alienandsedi.htm

On free speech:

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/rcah/html/ah_033200_freedomofspe.htm

[ July 01, 2005, 07:08: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

15. Gnarfflinger

Not necessarily. To spur a government to a particular course of action is one thing, but to behave in an unruly manner is another.

Could Burning the Flag, or defacing any Religious symbol for that matter, constitute behaving in an unruly manner, and thus be specifically exempted from that ammendment?

16. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I find it funny that people find it acceptable to throw a whole country into war on basis on unsubstantiated allegations, while on the other hand freely expressing your opinions with regard to that war constitutes treason.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ragusa, LMFAO!

I would bet that most countries have some sort of law prohibiting the public defacement of their flag. I'm not sure I agree with such laws, though. If I had my choice between 1000 man hours / month being spent on arresting and prosecuting flag burners or arresting and prosecuting serial murderers or rapists, guess where I want those man hours allocated?

Just to be on the safe side, I'll spell it out -- I want those hours spent catching and stopping the murderers and rapists.

18. Gnarfflinger

Again, it comes down to demonstrating peacefully or acting as an unruly mob. I would like Flag burning classed as being unruly, and thus allow that as grounds for disbursal of the mob at the least, if not arrests for the perpetrators...

But wouldn't an unruly mob distract police from investigation of more serious crimes? Find a quick and easy way to keep them in line then these officers can be used for more important work...

19. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Define "Unruly". If all they're doing is making a lot of noise and burning a flag, or giving speeches about how the government is evil or corrupt, then IMHO they are not posing any threat to the welfare or safety of their fellow citizens (though they may be annoying, no question). As soon as someone breaks a shop window, halts someone's vehicle as it is exiting a parkade, or assaults someone, then the gloves come off. At that point, the demonstration has ceased to be a peaceful one and the tear gas canisters and Tasers should come out.

The organizers of such protests need to take precautions against their people committing crimes. If they don't, they've got no one to blame but themselves if they end up getting gassed and beaten.

20. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I am sure breaking windows, assault, etc. is already covered by existing laws. No need to have new ones :) .

Gnarfflinger, I may have misunderstood what you say. Is it acceptable for you if one, for example, burns a flag in his own backyard? Or bash the government at a private party, let's say. Are you against just public displays of such acts?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.