1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crazy damage and THAC0 numbers

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Aerie's Number One Fan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    [​IMG] I've just arrived in Brynnlaw and I noticed something very strange. Out of nowhere, three of my party are now dealing out 7,000HP worth of damage with each hit. I checked their THAC0, and they've all got a THAC0 of around 11,000. I've never had this happen before, and I don't know what could have caused it. Any ideas what's causing it?

Thanks.

[ March 11, 2006, 09:35: Message edited by: Aerie's Number One Fan ]

2. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

I have no idea what could cause that, but it made me laugh :D

3. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Made me laugh too...out loud.

Sorry no idea...

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Weird that they actually hit something. A THACO of 11k isn't actually a good thing...

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A Thac0 of 11,000 Is that where you have to roll 20 like 15 times in a row to score an actual hit.

Silly question but did you install any kind of mod recently?

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

:lol: That's hilarious! Sorry!

Umm, yes I would like to know how they are able to hit ANYTHING with 11k thac0 and HOW they're able to do 7000 damage each hit!

Seriously, what type of bug could cause that???

7. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    Well, whatever it was has corrected itself now, and things are back to normal. It was very strange, because those with the 11k THAC0 were missing a lot, but when they hit they did the 8k HP of damage. I've never heard of this kind of quirk happening before.

@starwalker: No, I've installed no mods recently. Which makes this even stranger, because at least a mod would give a possible cause, and I have none.

I took these screenshots of the damage coming up:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/ANOF/307eaa51.jpg
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/ANOF/d9d0990d.jpg

8. Fly2tHeSkY

Well you say no mods, which is fair enough, but it looked like you had some pretty interesting weapons there from those screen shots. Can cheating ruin the game, CluaConsoling items in?

9. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I thought that a minus THAC0 was better than a positive one. Maybe the characters had THAC0 of -11,000? I tried SK'ing my characters' THAC0 down but it won't go any lower than something like -50.

10. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I didn't CluaConsole any items in. Those items are from a mod I've had in for a while, and this is the first time I've ever seen this quirk, or even heard of anything like it.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Oh, well maybe it was one of your old mods? What did you have installed? And umm, did the problem revert after you reloaded?

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Sounds kind of like a decimal shift. If your character's THAC0 would normally be 11, a three-place decimal shift could get it to 11,000. The same would work for the damage (if it was supposed to be 7, the same shift would put it to 7,000). Can't imagine what would cause it, though.

P.S. I see you've got Yasraena. How is she?

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oh this looks so wrong, I feel sorry. I can not understand how people manage to find such obscene bugsi whilst I, with my 30+ various mods installed, do not...Strange...

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31

That's ok Silverstar. Your bugs are twisted enough as is.

and who is Yasreana?

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

16. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    Yasraena is decent enough, but I gave her up for Imoen when I got in Bodhi's dungeon in Spellhold. She's a good NPC to have if you want something new to try, and she has some nice banters with Aerie and Keldorn, and I would assume with other Bioware NPC's too. You get one sidequest with her, which is pretty easy to be honest, but you get nice XP out of it. I might have kept her, but when I wanted to keep her and let Imoen go, she offered to give up her spot in the group so I did that. I saved in a new slot after that because she stil had some items I wanted to keep, like the Flail of Ages, and I'm going to use SK to get back anything I really want. I might even just resume from my last save with Yasraena, which is just before entering The Asylum, because I don't think Imoen adds anything and Yasraena is now up to 5* in Short Sword and 3* in Two Weapon Style, while Imoen doesn't bring a lot as a theif and I've got Aerie for spell casting.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

If it's something like Fel described, a decimal, which to be honest makes alot of sence, exactly HOW does this occur? What type of bug is this?

18. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

A decimal shift directly affecting the damage does not explain 7940 damage, as damage is calculated with dices.

7 damage could be a hit with a 1d10 sword. While 7940 damage would have to be like 100d10. If that was the problem, it was probably something wrong with the item files...

19. starwalker Gems: 16/31

However it would if perhaps the number generator is not necessarily working in whole numbers but instead rounds off in some way for us....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.