1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. bans Sinn Fein from fundraising - about F***ing time

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Cúchulainn, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It has taken long enough but who would have thought Dubya would be the one to do this? My faith in the US might be restored yet!

I do not however understand why peaceful parties such as SDLP(Catholic) and DUP(Protestant) are also banned because the IRA robbed a bank and killed an (not so entirely) innocent man.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050314/325/fe7nr.html

It still amazes me that the IRA are ignored - a real threat to democracy when the US and Britian would rather fight 'the unknown'

I was also sickened that 30% of CNN voters on this topic think the IRA should not disband. To me, that is like wishing a 11th of September on Ireland.

If you create a similar poll in Ireland on should al Quida disband, I can guarentee that 98% or greater would say YES.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/03/09/ireland.sinnfein.reut/index.html

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Unfortunately, most Americans have no clue who the IRA is -- those that do are usually of Irish decent. Even fewer know that Sinn Fein is associated with the IRA.

I do know the US Navy blacklisted many Irish pubs over the past decade or so for having collection bowls for 'the boys in the band.'

Blacklisted = no sailors can drink themselves to a stupor in the establishment.

3. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I thought the IRA raised their money via drug sales.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That is unfortunate for Sinn Fein

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Explain this.

The IRA is an affront to everything the English have been trying push in the N.I. peace process for years and years. How is it 'unfortunate' that they have been blocked from using another source to gain access to money, to kill yet more innocent civilians?

The Americans make me laugh sometimes. Their 'big war' with Al Quaeda (or whatever it is) is such a big thing over there. The English have been beset by these stupid Irish terrorist monkeys, blowing stuff up and killing innocent people for years and years and years...

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Barmy you don't know what you are talking about

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Indeed?

Please explain mate.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

:toofar: I am just winding you up, I just knew the first person to answer me would be you. I thought I would get you fired up a bit more though :wave:

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Remember which forum this is. More seriousness and less chain yanking please.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Yes but also don't forget bank robbing, protection rackets, assassinations, intimidation, punishment beatings, training foreign terrorists, bomb making and kidnapping.

Still sound like a lovely bunch of people?

Well I can also include animal cruelty i.e. cock fighting, dog fighting and who can forget Shergar?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/9/newsid_2538000/2538595.stm

Barmyarmy - its not all the US's fault, Britain has been too soft with Irish terrorists also. Under British law, suspected Irish terrorists can be locked up for only a certain number of days but if a person is from the Middle East, then it can be indefinately. Over here you can get 2 years in prison for killing someone as you become a 'Prisoner of war'. I think the English have more to worry about the IRA and INLA rather than al Qiada.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had read somewhere that 'sympathetic donations' to Senn Fein and the IRA from the US were a MAJOR source of income. It's one of the reasons the IRA has not targeted one of Britain's top allies.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Let me echo Cesard: 'bout time.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Here is the story from the McCartney killing:

Full story from here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/In-the-name-of-the-father/2005/03/11/1110417694232.html?oneclick=true

An opposing view from Newerk NJ:

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Funnily enough, over here there is a fair assumption in the UK that Both Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness are on the IRA high command and that the link is that close between the IRA and Sinn Fein.

Until the IRA disband and get rid of their weapons, Sinn Fein is part of (at least until they distance themselves completely) the IRA and all the things still being done by the IRA. Thus they should not be allowed to raise funds which may be used in part at least to fund criminal activity and potentially terrorism.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Support dies out in places, yet rises in others

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4352035.stm

But with this newfound support for people that hate terrorism here, we are now waiting for Bush to include IRA into his Axis of Evil and for Rice to put together a Coalition to invade Northern Ireland and restore freedom and democracy!

[ March 21, 2005, 13:00: Message edited by: Cesard ]

16. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Talking about IRA funding, and no-one has mentioned McDonalds? (rumour or not, its still surprising)

Anyway, this is about time.

@Cesard
    No! No caoaition invasion of NI! WHen did you last see an oil derrick around Ulster?

17. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Its ok, it'll all be over in a few more years. For the last decade or two we (Great Britain) have stated that we have no economical or Strategic interests in NI and will remain in control of it only for as long as its population wish so.

And currently the Catholics are 'out breeding' the protestants (Paple consipracy? :p ) so if they hold a refarendum in another 10 or 20 years they would probably get what they wanted.

On Sinn Fein, notice how when the leader says "disband your weapons" the IRA suddenly starts to hand them in? Notice how when they say "It is time for peace" the IRA begin peace talks?

Coincidence given they are totaly unconnected no?

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Actually I think that Catholics officiall outnumber the Protestants these days.

I don't think the Catholics mind being in 'British' N.Ireland so much because if you go to any hardcore Nationalist estate you will see bars dedicated to English football teams along with 'Brits Out' murals! Also in one Estate a Nationalist couple changed their names by deedpoll to David and Victoria Beckham! Hows that for hypocricy?

I think its just Sinn Fein intimidating the Catholics into voting for them.

If we do get a united Ireland, then what are all those unemployed terrorists going to do with their time? Maybe play bingo!

19. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think that The catholics have always outnumbered the protestants but the "jerrymandering" (I think is the word) of voting constabularies ment they the protestants had more voting power, inversely with their numbers.

However now the Catholics are begining to catch them up so to speak, in traditionaly Protestant areas.

We'll see, we'll see.

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

In the past this was true, but it hardly applies anymore.

Its unfair to blame and wish death on every protestant just because Ireland was invaded by John de Courcy.

If anyone here seriously hate all things British, then boycotting products, businesses etc would be a great start. As we already have several languages, how about not using English anymore? I only speak Engish at work so why cannot anyone else do the same?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.