1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardest Basic monster

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Leethal, Nov 19, 2001.

1. FoolioBuddumz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

umberhulks, and a whole lot of hobogoblins..they 0wn me haha. basically, anything in mass groups..i mena like 7-10 creatures

2. The DMage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hehe, that's one of my favorites things to do, send a hasted kensai into a group of 7-10 goblins/orcs, and hearing the sound of my swords connecting (for some reason I always thought it sounded more like I was clubbing them to death), and watching them explode. Just curious, is there any trigger that causes them to explode, say, damage twice their remaining hp, or is it just random?

3. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hi Wittynewt
    Thanks for the advice, tried it and especially the use of the brine potions somehow totally eluded me for a long time..

4. zaknafein Guest

illithid illithids ILLITHIDS. oh and anomen when i make him an enemy

5. If you compare dragons and liches, I think you'll have more trouble with liches. Once you get to the godly levels, dragons are easy to kill but liches... they can always kill you, no matter what level you are.

So my vote goes to liches, vamps, and the like.

6. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes, zaknafein, Anomen could indeed be considered a *basic* monster...

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

Mindflayers in my opinion. Ever had one charm you while you were the Slayer? That would be amusing as hell, but only if you saved he he.

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm, the thing about dragons is they can resist spells as well as combat dam. and they do a lot of damage too. Liches can hardly harm me because of all my imunities.

illithids can hardly harm me too. Good AC and chaotic commands always work. High int will also help

9. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Illithids and ulitharids.
    They'll devour your brain before you can't count to 1.

My last time through was with a (very unintelligent) solo kensai (very tough by the way) and the only areas he could'nt clear was the illithid lairs.

[This message has been edited by Tasohan (edited November 21, 2001).]

10. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

Yep, difficult (but not impossible :D) to get a really low AC with a kensai. Take plenty of genius and mind focusing potions to boost the int (and dex for mind focusing) and you will be able to take a few more hits before brain drain sets in :)

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

11. Black Rose Guest

Gauth
    Umber Hulk

12. Leethal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Ive changed my mind from vampires, now i hate greater wolfweres.....everytime my Solo undead hunter is about to end his "Near Death" status, the bastards always heal up just in time.....it once took me 10mins to kill one, i just clicked attack, had some lunch, came back to a dead greater wolfwere....only two more to go....doh!

13. zaknafein Guest

ok i guess anomen isnt realy a basic monster but neither is firkragg or the shodow dragon

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Beholders. Without that cloak of mirroring i mean. Illithids? Phah! 5 Hasted Mordekainen`s Swords will wipe out their entire damn lair. Lich? Turn undead. Anything else is obsolete.

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    First: Dragons and liches (and high level enemy mages ;) ) ... no further comment since all are equally lethal in their own way

Second: Defenitely gauths and beholders when you don't have shield of balduran or the cloak of reflection. You can confuse gauths with chaos but usually beholders will save against that, however, cloudkill works pretty well on them (like on almost everything). Anyway, tough opponents that can easily wreak havoc on our party.

Vampires are pretty tough untill you get the mace of disruption and +2 weapons. Anyway, with the protection from negative plane spell and chaotic commands you can deal with them pretty well. As usual: Concentrate protections on your frontliner and make him melee the enemiews while your party supports him with spells and missiles from a safe distance.

Mindflayers are relatively easy to wipe out when you have high int and a high AC, just keep them away from your stupid party members (minsc comes to my mind ... :D ) that use missile weapons in the meantime. Basic tactic as with vampires.

Umberhulks are a joke, cloudkills and death spells can take tham out quick and easy.

Golems are mainly easy: Tansheron's bow and Gesen's bow, just like a sling with bullets +2 (iirc) can take care of the weaker ones from a safe distance - you don't need (and shouldn't try) to melee them at low level. Again, cloudkill damages golems effectively, just like Melf's minute meteors. Clay golems are immune to any ranged weapons, so melee them once you eliminated adamantite/ Iron and stonegolems ....

Trolls are a wimpy, beat them up till they are near dead and kill them, with a single fire arrow.

Mummies are simple, *very* vulnerable to fire .... (hint, hint, hint) ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 22, 2001).]

16. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

I stil stand by liches as being the hardest (for me :) ) turn undead doesn't chunk liches until lvl 21+

Don't forget using magic to combat these other nasties.
    Spell turning works wonders with gauths and beholders if you don't have the right kit.
    False dawn, repulse undead (gives you time), sunray spells for all undead work fine, two itemsin the game have a sunray ability as well.

You will be lucky to have gesens bow at low level :)

The smaller golems will close with you very fast (typically they haste themselves) and so melee always comes to pass IMHO. Clay golems can only be hit by slings and blunt eapons remember. Make sure you have the right weapons and haste your fighters and enhance strength, a few buffing spells like chant and bless, prot evil and def harmony will help too.
    The gesen and everad(? can't remember the spelling :) ) sling tactics works great for the big golems, iron or greater if you get them stuck in a doorway or narrow passage.

Another tactic that worked well in the planar sphere was summoning an air elemental, there is a staff that does this. If the golems are stuck then the elemental does ranged "wind buffet" damage to them and they just stand there and take it. Takes a while but the golems die eventually.

Mordekainens sword is great but it is a 7th level spell and having 5 of them will be tough unless you have a couple of good mages or a pile of scrolls. Otherwise, I agree its a great tactic.
    Actually, thinking about this some more, I guess if you had edwin and a ring of wizardry this should be possible with just him. I will have to remember this tactic when my undead hunter with edwin, korgan, viccy and Imoen get to chapter 5.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 22, 2001).]

17. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, ok. Basic basic? I never liked basilisks much or anything else that turns you to stone. Even more basic? Hobgoblin elite have some nasty poison arrows that, if they catch you in the right place, can be deadly. Morally, I find it especially difficult to kill beggars and small pestering children in this game. Why can't that be a little easier to stomach? I'm trying though.

18. Lord Sarevok Guest

Bah! Basilisks? All you need is some kind of protection against their gaze.

The scroll Protection for Petrification works wonders, as it lasts for 6 hours(gametime). Other good ones are potion of mirror eyes and the 2nd level mage spell Protection for Petification.

Basilisks do no pysical damage at all so they are harmless with the above protections.

In BG1 if you want to level up fast buy that scroll from the trinket guy at the nashkel carnival, dump everyone out of the party, go to the Basilisk map, cast the scroll on yourself and get some mad experience!

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 23, 2001).]

19. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

My worst nightmare comes in the form of Liches, Dragons and mind flayers, all gits! But then with immnity to abjuration, liches are a walk in the park, and I just found out chaotic commands makes mind flayers easy....and I must admit that Firkraag feel victim to an overactive cloudkill wand (just as did the Demogorgon in Watcher's Keep). I just couldn't kill them any other way.
    Kangaxx managed to wipe my party out with ease until someone in this forum mentioned Spell Immunity....wiped him out in seconds after that, not a scratch on me! D'oh!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.