1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen's a liar!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sorvo, Sep 11, 2001.

1. zantetsuken Guest

What? He doesn't get struck by lightning the moment he holds something sharp and pointy, you know. And Remember. Flails have SPIKES... that accounts for like small little pointy spears poking out - and their god doesn't descend from the heavens and slay them on the spot when they wield one.

2. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sure, Anomen always gets more beaten around than Viconia in my games too. That's because I keep Viconia further back casting spells, so with her high AC, people rarely bother her. Anomen, being a much better fighter, always has front line duty when I have him in my team, so he naturally gets pounded on more.

Personally, I tend to mentally categorize people into front-line combat fighters and behind-the-line missile/casters. At that point Vicky and Anomen aren't even competing for the same spot. Anomen is competing with Jaheira, Keldorn, Valygar, and Minsc; Viconia is competing with Aerie, Cernd, and the mages. It's unfair to expect Viconia to be as good a fighter as the warrior-types; no matter how much you hype her up, she won't be. But she's as good at spell support as anyone, and she's a better backup fighter than any of the other casters.*

[edit]

*Oh, except for Haerdalis. I always forget him in these discussions because he defies my neat categorization. (-: But he kicks an amazing amount of butt for a non-warrior; I just need to keep a couple of the beefier warriors in front of him because he's made of tissue paper and the second his stoneskins fail it's "At last... oblivion!" (-:

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited September 13, 2001).]

3. Jon Irenicus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think Anomen is not only a bad liar, but also a pretty idiotic bastard, that's for sure! I don't like the man! Especially when he attacks Aerie (when she's trying to calm him after his failure). Man, I have ate his heart after this!!!! I love Aerie!

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Revenge=Aerie in flame.

It is not Anomen's fault - but yours.

----------------------------------------

I can't understand why this thread turned into Viccy vs Anomen?
    Both of them are kickass. Why don't you try them both in the same party like I did?

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I see your points Tjekanefir and zantetsuken. With magic resistance and all. And I see why we dissagree, or choose diferently.

I have no second line. I drive the old charge and destroy tactic. (F/M/T, Mazzy, Keldorn, Minsc, Valygar, Anomen). So my battles are up close and personal. Viccy isnt really that fond of this strategy. I loose a 6 spells but not any major casualty. And Evil doesnt fit in that party.

PS: Jon Irenicus loves Airie, I guess Ellisime will be sad to hear that :p

6. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Ellisime is a moron.

In a real fighter-based party where you're expecting everyone to tank, I'd recommend taking both Jaheira and Anomen. Both good fighters, and together they should handle your cleric needs. Viconia and Aerie really aren't up to that kind of role, for the most part.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

anomen turns undead like you wouldn't believe

viccy just doesn't have quite the same effect

but viccy is the better cleric, and anomen is the better all rounder

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Bah!
    Anomen can't get them on your side pal!

Besides, no way he can turn stronger (high level) undead like Viccy. If you got her experienced, of course.

And one thing more - in my SoA I spotted that Viccy's turn has visual effect on Keldorn!?

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Really? I know that they're supposed to have added the AD&Dv.3 thing about evil clerics being able to turn paladins in ToB, but I know you don't have that installed nor any patches either, so I'm surprised... I never saw this effect myself, but then I don't usually turn undead for some reason (probably because I usually have the cleric wielding the mace of disruption, come to think).

It would be pretty funny if when Keldorn tried to kill Vicky, she turned him! *laugh*

10. zaknafein Guest

[​IMG] come off it anomen couldnt kill a wyveren at that level on his own. in bg1 my whole party of high level fighters and mages got utterly destroyed at least 5 times in the cloakwood by wyveren

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

A wywern has a thac0 of 13
    an AC of 3.
    2 attacks per round doing 2d8 points of dmg.
    and 7d8+7 HP

An Anomen (unique creature :p) has at Level 7
    Thac0 13 (strength) perhaps lower if magic weapon
    AC of around 0 Vs. piercing (shield, armor)
    1 attack with spear, doing minimum 1d6+3 (strenght)
    and 7d10+14 HP

If his spear was magic and he had potions against the special attacks of the wywern, I dont see why there isn't a possibility. But he might be bending the truth. But the deed is not impossible.

12. Namuras Gems: 13/31

Did he say anything about killing the wyvern alone or that the spear was non-magical?
    The lvl 7 Anomen in question may have been assisted by his comrades or, for instance, a staff-spear.
    I think it's more unlikely that he, as he claims, slew twenty giants by himself in the same battle.

13. Big B Gems: 27/31

Ahhhh.....the things we debate about....

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

And the circles we get into...

Anomen's quite a character. But 20 giants by himself, that has to be a tall tale.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can see it now, Anomen with a big warhammer and a shield, with a barrel marked Super Healing Potion strapped to his back and connected to his mouth via a plastic tube. :lol:

15. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Taluntain, is that what "Helm's Beer Hat of Merriment and Healing" is for? ;)

16. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I think that is a baby wyvern!:grin:

17. Dixie Flatline Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Anomen is a good fighter, and a bit of bragging is not a crime - I mean, listen to some real life people who play Quake or go fishing - after that killing a wyvern with a spear doesn't look like a big deal... the guy is just talking!

18. sorvo Guest

bragging and lying are two different things!

19. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

But he's *not* lying. You're being silly, sorvo. There's no reason Anomen couldn't have killed that wyvern. It's more likely he was embellishing the part about killing all the giants, as someone already pointed out.

20. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Still spinning I see.

:spin: :spin: :spin:

There's only one way to solve this debate...where's Elhan and his mages when you need them... :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.