1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ashcroft & Evans Resign

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Wildfire, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3997987.stm

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Is this good or bad news?

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I think that really depends upon who their replacements will be.

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Any speculation about who the replacements will be?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dont know who Evans was really but Ashcroft resigning must be a good thing. Unless Ashcroft gets promoted or something.

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm pretty suspicious of the timing, seeing as how a position on the Supreme Court is about to open up...

7. Big Tank Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

8. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

"Attorney General Gonzales."

I don't know why, but I really like the sound of that. Also, this might get the Republicans an inroad to the Hispanic crowd for the election of 2008, along with a possible route to the hearts and minds of the other minorities, who, as polls show, tend to vote primarily Democrat.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

And now another bunch of cabinet members have resigned, including Colin Powell.

The others are:

Spencer Abraham, Energy
    Ann Veneman, Agriculture
    Rod Paige, Education

It's a shame that Powell's resigned, he seemed like a good man for the job.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Even though I think Powell sold his integrity for glass beads at the UN presentation I still viewed him as the one sane person in the US regime. I have got the impression though that Powell was more or less bullied into submission by Rice and Rumsfeld and forced to tote the party line. Not surprising that he leaves the ship. Now I wonder if he will go out with all the juicy details of what goes on in the white house.

12. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Has anyone mentioned Colin Powell's resignation yet?

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yoy just did. I was going to, but I thought I'd check here first. I don't think Colin Powell should resign. I thought he did an exelent job! Oh well. :rolling:

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I hope Powell follows O'Neil's( I think that's the name) and Richard Clarke's leads and writes an expose about the goings-on in the White House.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    From what I understand, he only wanted to serve one term. So regardless of the job he did, I think he planned on quitting anyway.

16. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I wish he would run for the presidencey. The man actually has a chance...

17. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Rednik, not a chance, the man has way too much class. Maybe in 4 years he might air out the dirty laundry, but he won't do it to a sitting President.

Takara, you are correct, I remember at the time that the conservative talking heads were crying about how it would be interpreted if Bush were re-elected and Powell followed through with his promise.

Slith, I think he would have better than a chance, but having tasted the drippings from the forbidden fruit, I don't think he found it so sweet, so I will be surprised if he runs. The Presidency is one of the most stressful jobs in the world, and I don't think he has it left in him. His son might someday though.

18. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Bush Taps Rice to Replace Powell

So, apparently Rice is replacing Powell as Secretary of State. I cannot say that this surprises me; she was a natural fit for the position from a political standpoint because she has proven her loyalty to Bush. However, it somehow feels wrong to me. She never really struck me as the traditional diplomat that I envision in the role of the Secretary of State. No, this is not because she is a woman nor because she is not white, but because her personality and experience seem geared towards dealing with threats with force.

This merely reinforces the indications that Bush will advance the neo-con agenda even further.

19. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Is the person that did not know who Al-Quida were before 11th September fit to replace Colin?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.