1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LapTop - $750-1250

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Munchkin Blender, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

What can I expect from a laptop in the price range of $750 to $1250? I don't pay much attention to the lab top market.

[ October 01, 2007, 19:42: Message edited by: Munchkin Blender ]

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

If you mean laboratory tops or workbenches, you could try getting some info from these guys:
    http://www.rdm-ind.com/x-tops-lab.htm

If the title is correct, but the typo is in the message, you could try to customize a DELL model and see what you get for that price. :p
    www.dell.com

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'd say you'd have a very good machine for that price. Just not necessarily one capable of running the latest games, but still a very solid comp.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    About 5 years ago, I bought my Dell laptop for about $1800 and it's worked for everything I've needed...up till now.

For $1200, You could get a very capable laptop that will last you for several years. :rolling:

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I found a company named cyberpowerpc.com and through them I can get a laptop with the following specs for around $1206...

CyberPower Xplorer X5-7900 Notebook
    15.4" WXGA TFT LCD Display Max: 1280x800 Pixels
    Intel Core2 Duo Mobile T7300 Processor
    2GB of RAM
    100 GB 7,200 RPM hard drive
    NVIDIA Mobile 8600GT 512MB Video
    Built in Sound

Included in this package is a free T-shirt and briefcase

For additional $230 I can increase the harddrive to 200GB and increase the CPU from the T7300 to the T7700; I am not sure, but if PowerPC has a higher end display I would rather spend the additional $230 on that.

[ October 01, 2007, 21:27: Message edited by: Munchkin Blender ]

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Hmmm...that's a dilemma. $230 for an additional 100GB, and a faster CPU is a steal. The T7700 is the ideal CPU to get right now.

But then again...a better display is always nice too. If I were you, I'd take the better HDD and CPU. :rolling:

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Cyberpowerpc SUCKS. That's the first thing. If a company offers a t-shirt or other such "additions", the chances are their main product isn't that good - watch out.
    A simple google search would have told you that.

Now, judging from the expertise you show in the thread - I'd suggest the $1300 MacBook.

However, if you have to have a gaming computer, get an Acer Aspire, HP Pavilion or a Dell notebook - big, reliable manufacturers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123409-page,9-c,pcreliabilityservice/article.html#

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Acer is notorious for making shoddy laptops, actually. When I was looking at buying a laptop, I consistently read bad reports about Acers from people who have bought them. I wound up with an MSI (I'm not sure if they're sold in the US), and I can heartily recommend it.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm also in the market for a laptop within this price range. But before I start looking at specific models, should I stick to a windows laptop or get a mac? can someone help me out with the pros and cons?

10. Kitrax

Media:
    Well, if you get a Mac with Intel guts, you can run Windows via Bootcamp. But IIRC, you'll take a performance hit.

If you're in to PC gamming, stick with a Windows based laptop. If you're into the whole iTunes thing, you might want a mac so you can envelope yourself in the entire "iLife" garbage. You might need to change your nick to iEnagonios however. :p

Right now, the HP HDX and the Mac Book Pro are the two top rated laptops...both are way over your price range however. For "all-purpose" laptops, the Gateway E-475M is rated as #1 for about $1300. The HP Pavilion dv6500t is #2 for around $1100. Those are PCW ratings by the way. :rolling:

[ October 07, 2007, 17:01: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

MSI is notorious for making crappy laptops as well. And never heard anything that bad about Acers. :p

I've, however, worked with Pavilions and the only bad thing is that they get dirty easily.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hmm, I'll be using the laptop primarily for watching videos, downloading and surfing the net as well as communicating with friends and family via yahoo messenger or some other chat client and doing papers and presentations for class and eventually work. I doubt I'll be playing game much while I'm in Spain (it sucks that I wont be able to play my BG games and PS:T though!) so, I think maybe the Mac is the way to go considering viruses are less of a concern?

For the purposes I've mentioned, do you guys think this laptop will be good?

http://www.pcworld.com/product/pricing/prtprdid,37676200/pricing.html

please bear in mind that I don't plan to get a laptop anytime soon after buying this one :/

13. Kitrax

Media:
    Ha! Too true. Every HP Pavilion I've worked on was like a dirt and grease magnent.

I read in PCW that the HP Pavilion HDX and one of Acer's laptops won't be allowed to be taken on planes because they are so big. I'm checking in to that right now. If I were to buy another laptop anytime soon, it would be the HDX. :rolling:

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Uh, no, not really... I know a few people who have bought MSIs around here and they're all happy with them. On the other hand, I don't know anyone who'd want to buy an Acer, and pretty much everyone who has one has one problem or another with them.

15. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

My current laptop is an Acer TravelMate, the laptop before this one was an Acer TravelMate too. There have been no problems with them. My next laptop is going to be an Acer TravelMate too. People will always have their favourite brands and their least favourite brands, for whatever reason, so just pick one you like.

16. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have had great experiences with two cyber power desktops. Can't speak for the laptops though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.