1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Runtime Error "429"

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Clixby, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I recently got a laptop, and I'm having trouble running a certain game. At first, it couldn't find a .dll file related to DirectX, which I managed to remedy. However, trying to run it now gives me the message that I've encountered a runtime error 429. I've looked around, but I haven't found any clear solutions, and I was hoping someone could help me.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    A little more info would be helpful.

What game is it. Does the error occur at a specific point in the game? Some system specks might help too. :rolling:

3. Clixby Gems: 13/31

Right, sorry.

The error occurs when I try to run the application, and the game in question is a freeware game called Survival Crisis Z (which works fine on my older computer).

The OS is Windows Vista, and my specs are:

Processor: Genuine Intel CPU, 1.74 Ghz
    RAM: 1015 MB
    System type: 32-bit Operating System

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the problem lies within Vista. If the game ran fine on your old computer (I'm guessing it was running Windows XP), then I can't but help put Vista at fault.

I tried googling "Survival Crisis Z" +429 and I got over 50 hits. Try reading through them, as many seemed to be having the same problem. :rolling:

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31

No joy, I'm afraid. Vista users seem to be having similiar problems, but I couldn't find a solution.

It may be a shot in the dark, but I believe the game may run with Visual Basic. Does that help at all?

The full error is:

Run-time error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Clixby, is your game installed in the Program Files folder, or within the User Documents (old "My Documents" in XP) folder?

7. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Clixby: try running the program in compatibility mode. For that, go to the properties of the program to the tab compatibility. There, activate it and select the windows you know it runs on.

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31

Colthrun: Installing in either directory gives the same error.

Meatdog: Compatability mode doesn't help, especially as the game is supposed to be compatible with Windows Vista anyway.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Is that the exact error message that you get? If not, can you copy it here.

10. Colthrun

@Clixby: Have you tried installing the game in a folder that is not a system folder (i.e. one you created somewhere in the C: drive).

Also, where did you put the missing .dll file the game required?

Finally, are you using User Control, or whatever that annoying feature of Vista that continuously ask you for permission before doing anything is called?

11. Clixby Gems: 13/31

Erod: that is the exact message I get in the post above.

Colthrun: I have tried putting it in it's own folder on C drive and E drive, and I get the same error.

My user account is set as administrator, and I do get those messages quite frequently.

I put the .dll in the System32 folder; it seems to be the right place, as before I put it in I was getting an error message telling me it couldn't find it.

12. Colthrun

Try disabling User Account Control (Start, click on the User's picture, Turn User Account Control On/Off).

Then, rather than using the Shortcut to the game, go to the game's folder, right click on the launcher and select "Run as Administrator". See if that makes a difference.

[ August 28, 2007, 10:03: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Clixby: where did you get the dll? It might be that it is the dll that is not vista compatible. If you took it from somewhere on your vista install, it might suffice to add the original location to your PATH environment variable. That way, everything can find the dll without you having to move it.

14. twist3y Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ok i know this is a very old thread... but i figure there will be people looking for an answer about error: 429 like i was... i found how to fix it...atleast i think i did lol... after doing this, i tried to run the game and it gave me an some other error with a very long identification code... but then i tried to run it again right after and it worked fine...

1) go to this site, http://survivalcrisisz.wikia.com/wiki/Survival_Crisis_Z
    2) scroll down to the vista fix (note im using windows 7 and this still worked)
    3) download all the .dll files listed (there are 3)
    4) toss them into your system32 folder (im assuming you know where this is)
    5) under the vista fix on the site it gives instructions about the command prompt, follow them... if actually using vista and not windows 7 ide assume you would want to follow the one that applies to your vista

6) (optional if did everything else but still giving an error) after i did all the previous steps it gave me that really long error i mentioned before... so i also did regsrv32 d3drm.dll (if your reading this step before doing all the command prompt steps, it will make sense when you do all the previous steps)

this worked for me... i just figured ide share... what this does (atleast i think this does) is actually load the new dll files rather than just placing them in a folder

note: while writing this i tried playing a couple more times... the game works however sometimes it will give that error that i mentioned, just try to reload the game untill it works

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.