1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Speakers crackling

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Duffin, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have sort of solved this problem but not entirely and it's still bugging me which is why I thought I'd ask you guys for some help. I changed my PC at Christmas but kept my old speakers as I had never had any trouble with them. However when playing music with loud bass and games that where loud noises will occur, like cannon fire that sort of thing, my speakers would crackle loudly. After checking all the connections and making sure the graphics card was plugged in correctly I still had the same problem. So I moved windows volume down to 50% (via the toolbar) and have all my games and music software set to 50% volume also. This has made things much better but I still get the occasional crackle with loud sounds. Oh and I also used my headphones and still had the same crackling so I dont think its a problem with the speakers.

This isnt so bad but it annoys me for two reasons. Because all my volumes are down I have to have my speakers turned up and when looking at something on the net that you cannot control the volume of the speaker volume has to be constantly adjusted depending on what I'm viewing. Secondly I never had any problems like this with my old PC and used to run everything on 100% volume.

Have any of you guys had similar problems or is it just usual to have master volume on 50%? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Have you updated you audio drivers?

A little more info would be nice too. (Mobo, sound card, audio controller if it's built-in, and other stuff like that.) :rolling:

3. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Erm yeh I have downloaded the latest drivers (I think they were the right ones) but it didn't seem to have any affect. Looking at my computer properties I have SoundMAX Integrated HD audio and my motherboard is the PSN32 -SLI- Premium. I'm not sure whether my sound card is built in how would I find out? I have a Nvidia 7950GT if that helps. :confused:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Integrated is built-in. You'd probably know if you bought a SoundBlaster separately. If you're not plugging your cables into a separate card, but directly into the panel on the back, which also has all the other basic ports, you're using an integrated sound card. Example.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

What's the wattage on those speakers and what brand are they?

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Between 230-240V / 50Hz / 0.3A and the make is Altec Lansing.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31

That doesn't help. What is the rated (continuous and peak) wattage and how far up do you have them cranked when the cracking happens?

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I haven't a clue about speakers, these are the specs. Hope that is more clear.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31

You've got 20 watts... which pretty much solves the problem.

The speakers are too weak to play loud sounds. That's your problem right there. If you want to listen to loud bass sounds, get a more powerful set of speakers (Klipsch Promedia or Altec Lansing THX).

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Ah I see, thanks for your help Rastor. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.