1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Flashing the graphical BIOS - any negative consequences if it succeeds?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Nov 14, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've read a couple of guides at respectable sites saying you can flash a GF5900XT with a GF5950U bios. I have that and from the same manufacturer even, so I'm ready. Thing is, I've heard so much about how great it works and even temperatures are lower and the card still overclocks and all this without additional cooling needed.

I know that between 5900 and 5900U, 5950, 5950U there's no real difference and in some cases, we're talking about the same card with a BIOS telling it to run at a slower speed. But 5900XT might be a bit different... Although the MSI version of 5900XT (what I have) is said to be an overclocker's dream, I just keep wondering if you really can get away with suge a huge increase in speed (different voltage makes the temperatures lower and you can OC it even higher) and no risk to your card.

So, question is, if it succeeds and all seems to be right, can something still go wrong?

2. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, basically the warrant CAN go off, if it randomly breaks, you send it back and the tech people randomly decide to really check if the BIOS is the right one - it simply won't be covered and you would have to throw the wallet to your hardware guy again.

Besides that, there can always be the consequence of it awkwardly malfunctioning but from what I've heard, it is relatively easy to flash the BIOS back to the original, if it decides to mess up.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Kiss your GPU goodbye if the flashing fails for any reason... last session in the computer tech class, we flashed BIOSes on many computers, and one of them failed after erasing the old version, for some obscure reason - the comp never ever worked again.

But then again this is worst-case scenario.

[ November 16, 2006, 06:57: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

4. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sounds like the GPU got fried somehow, could be because it got too much voltage or some other unpredictable thing.

When I flashed my old 9600, I was able to boot up in safe mode and flash it back.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.