1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Internet Explorer 7 Out

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

I can't see any reason why anyone using IE wouldn't want to upgrade to the latest new version, so - just do it. ;)

Edit: You need Windows XP SP2 to be able to install it. I guess this will narrow down the pool of people who'll be able to upgrade to it considerably.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

3. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Interesting. For kicks i went to the site Tal posted (I used Fireferret not IE) and AVAST went bananas. It apparently stopped some virus\worm named VBS:Zulu from loading onto my computer. If this isnt some kind of glitch, i'd find it rather amusing (darkly so) as it means those pesky internet-evil-doers snuck one up Microsofts skirt yet again.

4. Misery Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

there are apparently some issues that arise when trying to download ie7 with fireferret
    I'd advise not even bothering with ie7 and using a decent standards compliant browser instead

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    /me drops his head

Yes master. :p

The new interface should be interesting to see. :rolling:

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Makes no difference unless it is a recommended update for Windows (in which case EU also might have something to say about it). Otherwise Average John goes with whatever is there by default: IE6. And even if is in Windows Update, would Mr. John know anything about it?

[ October 21, 2006, 18:21: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I'm using firefox, so I shouldn't be interested, but I'm updating it anyway
    - just in case-

[ October 20, 2006, 22:47: Message edited by: Trellheim ]

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have it and it's not that bad. It does look like something you can make in Visual Basic, but it's refreshingly different from all the menus and buttons of its predecessors. The easy to read feature is much appreciated by my eyes.

What's also nice is that links opened by programs no longer load in your primary window, replacing what you've been browsing. Instead, they open in a new tab, which is much, much better. I've noticed this while playing Warcraft III and viewing the online player profile.

[ October 21, 2006, 16:43: Message edited by: chevalier ]

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Is there a good time to install SP2?? :shake:
    Even if I did have SP2, I would sit here and wait for the stream of security fixes before thinking of upgrading to 7. If MS's track record is any indication, there's going to be loads of these in the next weeks.

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have been using it for several weeks now, and I have no problems. I find it to be quite user friendly, although it is not as customizable as firefox.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

YARGH! I HATE VB! VB.Net is even worst!

Anyway, back on topic, being a Kubuntu user, IE7 is of no use (much less interest) to me... but I'll be sure to tell my bro, which I haven't yet corrupted to Firefox or Opera.

I downloaded IE7 on my buddy's CPU, and AntiVir went completly boinkers too. Hehe. :evil:

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Bah I.E 7 is just like firefox, only firefox is better while I.E came from hell programmed by evil goblin.

13. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I use Firefox myself - I avoid IE like the plague. I am doing some freelance IT support for home users. In every instance where the computer has problems, caused by viruses and spyware, the users use IE (and MSN Messenger).
    My computer has had only had one nasty problem in the year since my last install - the sasser virus (I had to reinstall everything once I got it). I was using IE to dowload Firefox!
    When you have to fix a PC with 180 viruses and 160 spyware, you soon realize that 1) the user is stupid - they should have to have a licence to use a PC (like a driving licence), and 2) DON'T USE IE!

Also a note to web designers - IE 7 will NOT support CSS 3, so when it comes out, all those new fangled fancy things that this will provide won't work!
    Not a big thing in itself, but I can guess that Microshaft will do a u-turn (like it did in 95, during Netscape's success), when in 5 years time, most web designers will use some of the tricks that CSS 3 will bring.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I'm concerned, Firefox's biggest advantages over IE were the tabs and security, to an extent. Both of these are now in IE as well. And while I do primarily use Firefox, I still use IE a lot as well - for proper bookmarks, if nothing else. The stupid way that Firefox lumps all bookmarks into one file is simply useless for anyone who has to deal with several hundred bookmarks in an organized fashion (i.e. as separate files). Not to mention Firefox's inability to save the url of the saved page as a comment in the html itself, which is of crucial importance for good organization.

There are probably some hacks to make Firefox do all of this as well, but IE has always had it by default, and with FF I'd have to bother with setting it up for every new version.

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    This was actually the reason I stopped using IE 4 (those were the days :lol: ) and moved to Netscape, too many years ago to remember. I had a rather large number of bookmarks (over 100), and being able to move them around as one file and use any character I wanted (without the stupid limitations on file naming) was a boon.

I agree that, in this respect, IE's bookmarking wins. It's a sacrifice I don't regret making, but I sometimes sorely miss this feature in FF (and in Netscape before it)

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IE 7 is now part of Windows Update. I downloaded it and, after a little bit of customization, I'm quite liking it. :)

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Will this work only with SP2?

18. Taluntain

Media:
    As per the first post, yes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.