1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for a quiet PC cooling solution

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, May 8, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

[​IMG] Hey.

I have a Prescott P4, which makes so much noise it's driving me on the borders of insanity. I'm looking for a more efficient, and most of all *QUIET!!!* way to keep this damn processor running cool.

Before I am tempted to caress that damn PC with my baseball bat, do any of you got an effective way to solve my problem? I'm on a tight budget, so water cooling is out of the picture.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Not sure if these will help... they claim to be quiet and are cheap:

http://www.directron.com/quietfans.html

Tomorrow, I'll get you information on the fan I have. It is very quiet, I think (not silent, but it is not too bad), but I'm not sure of the cost - I'll ask my friend who made my computer.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    DotW, my boy, you're in luck. I just so happen to know a lot of how to silence noisy computers.

You basically have 4 choices.
    If your budget allows, I would do the above, and get two fans (1 for the intake, 1 for exhaust), and hook them up to a multi-function panel that has software to control the fan speed according to inside temperatures. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I really like Papst fans for keeping my computer cool and quiet. They're a "bit" expensive though.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Great, interesting solutions here, Kitrax. That damn Prescott is driving me on the verges of insanity. While sniffing aruond the web looking for cooling solutions, I stumbled upon Zalman cooling solutions. They offer big, pure copper cooling fans. Is it really worth it?

Never heard of those.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Pure copper heatsinks are fantastic. Pure copper fans are overkill IMO, unless you're overclocking your system like crazy (something I definitely do NOT recommend doing with a Prescott).

Really the best solution would be water-cooling. Failing that, a good copper heatsink with a low-noise fan is as good as it gets. You've got to be ready to pay for it though - both copper sinks and quiet fans are significantly more expensive than the "normal" stuff.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I tore out the chipset fan and replaced it with some large cooling ribs (think is was Zalman). That alone helped a lot on my computer, but do some research on it before you do it (your chipset might be better and more power consuming than mine :p ).

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Zalman is good if you like the look of a "blooming flower" for a heatsink. :p Seriously though, Zalman makes the fan-less water cooling system I linked to above, and they are renowned for producing quiet cooling products.

I'd suggest you take a look at Mod the Box. They have a lot of good reviews on heatsinks, fans, and water cooling systems. :thumb: :rolling:

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Disciple,

I use Zalman heat sincs almost exclusively (I've even converted a few nay-sayers). I put my old one on my mom's computer when I built it for her, and you literally can't tell the computer's on unless you put your head down next to it to listen. The ceiling fan in the room actually drowns it out, in fact. They look goofy, but they work like a charm. They're very reasobaly priced, too.

Her processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1.6ghz, which runs much hotter than the average P4 chip, and it cools it just fine. You shouldn't have any issues.

Edit: This is the P4 version on the same heat sinc I have on my rig right now, and it's $10 cheaper than the one I bought a year ago. Check your motherboard's socket model to be sure, but this should do the trick. The only downside is it takes up about 2.5 times as much space inside as a regular heat sinc, but at least it's vertical (so it doesn't block any PCI slots).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118103

10. Disciple of The Watch

My own P4 is a Prescott 2.8, I think it's a socket 478.

I did a quick check of my case, and I'm kinda tight on space... are the Zalman heatsinks much bigger than your stock Intel ones? I have a couple inches of clearance for all sides, except the upper side, which is like an inch under the PSU, and the underside, for which I don't have even an inch of clearance because of the heatsink of the north bridge... it's looking bad...

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's the thing: If your processor is laying paralell to the ground, the heatsinc takes space UPWARD. How this particular model works is, you attach the copper fan-looking thing to the actual processor. That distributes the heat from the processor. Then you attach the actual motorised fan, which hovers about a half inch over the copper. The motorised fan is attached by screws in the same screw holes where you fasten in your PCI cards (soundcard, modem, etc.). So the only thing that should get in the way here are the large power cables.

My mother's case is one of the smaller ones, too - and it fits in there just fine. I think you'll be fine.

12. Disciple of The Watch

That sounds like a pretty good choice. I was, however, more looking into something like that, because a guy at my school had one of those fans on his Athlon X2, and if I didn't seen the fan move, I wouldn't have guesses it was running. What about this one? Is it better than the other one you suggested me, DR? Or would it be simply overkill?

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I've tried that model - I returned it about a week later, not sure why - it's been a while. I've heard that model is a little more fragile than the one I suggested. Makes sense, since the coils and the fan are attached to each other. It was a little noisier than the one I recommended, but it's a small difference. You could always get both, and send one back (but that's a pain). Provided your specs match up, I personally would go with the one recommended above. But I think you'd be fine with either one.

That's just my experience, though. You've seen one in action on your friend's machine...if that's quiet enough for you, then go for it.

Edit: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it - I think I remember now. I think the reason I returned that model was because it wouldn't fit in my case. As a one-piece unit, it was considerably wider on all sides, IIRC, so it didn't fit as well and the coils were touching something. It had more to do with where the chip was on the motherboard than anything (and I wasn't willing to get a new motherboard).

14. Disciple of The Watch

[​IMG] Well, I got the Zalman pure copper fan (the big round one), and I installed it today. Bloody hell, it makes one hell of a difference! It's still a bit noisy, but it's FAR less worst than it was with my stock Intel heatsink, the very same heatsink I nearly thrown out by the window.

Thank you, Zalman, for your high-quality and most of all, quiet cooling solution. I can finally endure my P4 until I scrape enough dough to switch to an Athlon X2.

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Happy computing. :borg:

16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

oh man, i see the post late.

Zalman is good. i have been using zalman reserator for 8 months. That thing is fanlessm thus no noise, at all.

the good,
    no noise. No need to use special made coolet, just ordinary distilled water + anti corrosion liquid.

the bad,
    damn big, damn heavy. If environment (room temperature) gets hot, the performance goes down, because it is a passive system.

Also,
    i connect cpu fan to replace one of power unit fan so that i can control the fan speed thus reducing some noise too.

17. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah, I've had an all copper Zalman for a bit over a year now, the case fans and my HDD and optical drives make a huge amount of noise in comparison to the Zalman (even when on max power).

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Time for revival, especially if Kitrax is around. Now the proud owner of a "new" Prescott is yours truly. My box is a solid iron one from Codegen with no holes and a 350 Watt stock power supply. My mobo (Abit IS7E) supports Prescott but wasn't designed with its heavy sweating in mind so far as neighbouring components go.

I'm open to some expenses, but I just don't want to spend too much on it, to the point where just swapping mobo+proc+RAM+GFX for some dual core ddr2 PCI-e combo would have been more profitable. Basically, what's the best choice, within reason. Shelling the cash out and buying a new box with a side fan and tube and a back fan next to the proc and a front fan to help it all circulate well, plus an expensive cooler? Or just the cover? Or just the expensive new cooler (no matter how you look at it, Scythe Ninja or Thermaltake Big Typhoon is cheaper than any CPU cooler AND new box)? Or can I actually survive with my stock Celeron 2.4 GHz box cooler (just aluminium, no copper), perhaps with some case mod, like drilling a hole and putting am improvised tube through it?

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're going to use it at stock speed, then I believe the stock cooler should be fine. Typically those fancy coolers and "thermally-advantaged" cases are good to give you margin for the excess heat from overclocking.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't get a stock cooler because it's an OEM version... I have a box cooler but from a weaker Celeron 2.4 on the Northwood core... I'm sure it won't die from surfing around, but I'm not so sure it can handle 5 hours of NWN2 or something like that...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.