1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Playstation II versus Xbox

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Apeman, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

My brother wants to buy a console and he asked me for advice, since I am a PC fan I can't really give an answer. But if I'm right it's between these two (I left out gamecube because it's more kids oriented).

Please explain your choice.

Thanks

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Playstation II versus Xbox (30 votes.)

Graphics. (Choose 1)
    * Playstation II - 7% (2)
    * Xbox - 77% (23)
    * No difference - 17% (5)

Sound. (Choose 1)
    * Playstation II - 20% (6)
    * Xbox - 40% (12)
    * No difference - 40% (12)

Playability (controller) (Choose 1)
    * Playstation II - 70% (21)
    * Xbox - 20% (6)
    * No difference - 10% (3)

Games (Choose 1)
    * Playstation II - 63% (19)
    * Xbox - 27% (8)
    * No difference - 10% (3)

Overall (Choose 1)
    * Playstation II - 60% (18)
    * Xbox - 33% (10)
    * No difference - 7% (2)

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I voted XBOX all the way but I have say that I prefer the PS2 - Now that makes no sense at all to me

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Go the XBox.

Better games, better console.

4. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Xbox, because it has better graphics, the console itself is more powerful, and the games are of better quality, the controller has more uses.

5. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

go PS2, more and better games. if you have a pc, there is no reason in getting a Xbox.

6. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What the Xbox lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. Xbox all the way. Even though I don't have one.........

7. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

XBOX may have the better technology, but PS2 has the games. I'd sacrifice the technology anydays for better games.
    I agree with Equester that if you have a pc there is no reason left to take an XBOX. And even if you don't, then I'd still say to go with the PS2.

8. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I have a PS2 and I am both happy and disappointed with it.
    For example, Vice City is an awesome game, but the graphics on the XBOX version are so much better.
    PS2, in my opinion, is seriously lacking in 2 player games. I'm talking about the ones were you can play together, in the same room, one console and play in co-op mode like in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.
    When I was looking to buy, I got sides; XBOX is good, get it! PS2 is good, get it!
    So here is what I suggest your brother do;
    Make a trip to several stores that sell the games. Take a look at all of the games. Then decide which system has the most games he is interested in playing. That's the system he should buy. Sure there are some crossovers, but there also are a lot that aren't. There's wuite a few games on XBOX that aren't on PS2 that I'd love to play.

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I say PS2 only because they seem to have more games that appeal to me.
    That´s all it´s about really. So just check which console has the most games he´d like and go with that.

[Edit]
    Guess I should´ve read Elios whole post before posting...

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

PS2, just because I am a loner and don't need two player games.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

XBOX all the way BUT, their stupid humongous controllers, that is the point where PS2 gets my vote, and I HATE(!) PS2!!

12. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I say go with Playstation 2. It has so many more, better games than XBOX has. Pretty much every game that is exclusive to a console is on Playstation 2, not XBOX, and the ones that I don't want to play, are on Gamecube or Dreamcast. The controller is a lot better on Playstation (2) as well, very simple, very small. The biggest drawback that I have noticed is the lack of a huge (in comparision to how much room each game needs on it) hard drive. That is really convenient on the XBOX. But, overall, and since there will be an add-on for Playstation 2 that's like a hard drive, go with Playstation 2.

13. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Depending on the gaming style...

Xbox has Morrowind, THPS, Kotor and Halo...

But PS2 is more fun when played random...

I would say go with PC. :p

But between those? Often played it's Xbox (10G HDD for saves), if just randomly go with PS2. (8mb cards for saves. :/)

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

PS2 > Xbox but well it is hard to say ;z I actually like the Game Cube better then either of them ;x

15. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The thing is PS2 is already running at it's full potensial. Hardware wise that is, the game developers know every trick for tweaking and utilizing the hardware, while XBOX is new and the developers is still learning, I expect to see some great new games in the future.

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I sold several Xboxes and there are quite some people who had rather bought a PS2, because there were much more games for the PS2 then for Xbox. The Xbox is cheaper at start, because you get several games included with your console.
    Look for the games that are available. That's what you buy a gameconsole for, right? If you think there are enough games for Xbox, you might better be of with an Xbox, if you think there are too few, buy a PS2.

Btw: Each time there is a defect with a customers Xbox, they have to call a servicenumber. Nice, you think, but they don't speak Dutch, only 'Irish' and French. (the french fellow speaks even better English).

Somebody knows if this has changed/ is gonna change in the near future?

17. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Heres a solution..get em both

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Heres an even better solution...buy neither, you can get alot more entertainment out of a PC! But if I had to choose, I'd definately say X-Box all the way. First of all because they have far better controllers in my opinion, and secondly, they just seem more "computer-ish" than Playstations. I am strongly against the playstation console. Playing Ps2 instead of a computer is a terrible sin!

19. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@Kovalis.
    You seem to have to little time to kill :)
    I have a PC, a GC and a PS2 and I´m going to buy a X-Box this month. And even with that said I spend quite some time here posting because there are not enough good games made... Very sad.

Gaming rules in all forms except when the games require that you use anything but your hands :D

20. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There's only one thing you need to know... Playstation II has the Final Fantasy games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.