1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Xirev, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I would disagree that Nintendo is only for kids. Sure the N64 had some kid games and the GC has Pikimin, but there are plenty of good games too. Games like Smash Brothers may seem childish, but once you get playing they are quite good. On top of things, the Game Cube has games like Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, and the upcoming Eternal Darkness, made by my hometown boys :D , Silicon Knights. Eternal Darkness is definitively not only for people under the age of 13. :evil: And on the subject of controlers, I'd have to say that the GC controlers are by far the best. The buttons are right where I want them, and the controller fits the shape of my hands very well.

On the other hand, I was just at ps2.ign.com and the LotR game there is a quite a good point for the PS2. Though one has to be careful about LotR games... :hmm:

[This message has been edited by Gunthar (edited June 10, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    *smacks each and every console loving fool who has posted so far*

get neither the PS2 nor the Gamecube. Instead, spend the $200 on a nice and shiny new GeForce 4 Ti 4200. PC > any console :)

3. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What kind of CONSOLEis that?

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Think he tried to say that PCs are better than consoles :rolleyes:.

And you should stop saying that GameCube is childish. There will be games for older peeps (though those for younger ones are quite fun to ;)), like Tony Hawk 4, BioHazard (Resident Evil) and so on.

5. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No thanks. I'd buy the geforce-whatever, but I like it when my games actually work without having to fiddle for hours until it starts, then several more to hear the sounds etc. And when it finally works, the game crashes. And I wouldn't want to buy anything that you can't use after half a year, as game requirements have gone so high your precious new geforce is useless. Then you can waste some more money to upgrade your system. What fun.

7. total Guest

Don't be offended but:

Blah blah, days of DOS and CD-RIPS are long gone! Today, games run on the PCs without problem (original :) ), and about that:

"And I wouldn't want to buy anything that you can't use after half a year, as game requirements have gone so high your precious new geforce is useless. Then you can waste some more money to upgrade your system. What fun."

Consoles are cheaper in the beginning (new console is cheaper than new PC) but i think that PCs advanced faster than PS and that is the reason you CAN buy much better graphic board six months after you bought new one, but you will still be able to play new games on the old ones (new > better)! Ok not in 1600x1200 but hey, PS2 cant too! And lets stick to topic:

I don't like Microsoft (:eek:) so X-box is my last choice, so my vote goes to Game Cube, but only because i think it is better "console for games", but PS2 is also very good and you wont be bored with any of them!

8. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31

I think we went a little :yot: with the computer thing. Computers are nice, but lets stay on the console topic eh?

9. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] zelda. mario. (soul calibur). 'nuff said.

10. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Gamecubes are cool. Has anyone got one? you lucky sods.

11. Jerlark386 Gems: 5/31

Surely there is no question here?

For those of you who feel consoles are not complete waste of time and money. And if you are serious about gaming, then clearly Playstation 2 is the only answer. Unless you like your cup of tea small and unvarying.

If X-box or Gamecube comes out with a plethora of simply wonderful games then go buy it! No argumuents here!

12. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would say get the Gamecube. On the whole the PS2 is not all that good.
    I have a dreamcast too and i still think the graphics easily rival those of the PS2, and so do all my friends. plus the Dreamcast games have been made for gameplay, while PS2 games seem to have nice pretty graphics and nothing else. I sold my PS2 a few weeks after i got it, but i still have my dreamcast.
    Oh and if you don't believe me get Shenmue and tell me which PS2 game beats it.

13. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Dreamcast doesn't even make games anymore...you can buy the system for like 50 bucks.

I can't see a decent reason to shell out even that for a system with no future. I've played both PS2 and Dreamcast, I'll stand by PS2 as having better graphics (actually, check out the graphics on PS2's Headhunter...it was originally made for the Dreamcast, they never upgraded the graphics. It has noticably poorer graphics than other PS2 games.)

14. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] PS2 Rules!

About the gamecube:It isn't even a real cube!

15. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

PS2 would my first choice. Music, Games, and DVDs.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Games: PS2

Feel of the controller: PS2

Graphics: a new computer

Mobility: a laptop, or a PS1 with a LCD screen, or a GameBoy Advanced

My recomendation: Buy a new laptop AND a PS2 w/wo a LCD screen built in. :rolling:

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

PS2 deffinatley.

Better games, better controller, DvD, Looks better, better graphics (in my opinion), when the gamecube fails the PS2 will still be going strong long after, can play all the wonderful old PS1 games too.

18. Mariana Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't own any of the consoles but I have played both the GameCube and PS2. The Cube seems to have better graphics, but the PS2 has better titles, and, like others mentioned, you can play PS1 and 2 games on it. The PS2 is more expensive, but in my opinion it's the better system.

19. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Ps2 is my choice. Just so you know, I did have a Gamecube, but a lack of good games forced me to sell it off. Any way, X-Box sucks, someone could hurt themselves trying to carry that huge waste-o-space. Plus, in its money pinching ways, it forces you to buy their DVD remote just to play DVD's, what a rip. Down with Microsoft.

20. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Gamecube has the best controller hands down. It grips to yer hands. You start playing you hardle notice its there. Each botton is a different size and shape depending on it's importants.

The PS2 controller has too many bottoms of the same size and shape and I often had to look down at the controller to know what buttons I was pressing.

Just my personal take on controllers

X-box, I'm not even going there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.