1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USD 200ish graphic card

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by teekc, Jan 27, 2006.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

yes, this is yet another graphic card topic.

i tried FEAR, i tried call of duty 2, and obviously radeon 9800 can't do anything at all. It was the TEH card when i bought it.

i did some search, i am considering
    radeon x800
    radeon x850
    radeon x1600

the problem is, what is the story with x850 and x1600? They are of similiar price range (pricewatch.com). And following BTA's link to tom's hardware, they did x1300, they did x1800, they did x800, x850 and where is x1600? Where does it stands?

2. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you have the cash try getting a X1800XL series card. If you can't go for the X1600 series card. The X1600 card will allow you play games that require pixel shader 3 and it has additional features not offed in the x800 series. If I am not mistaken though I believe the x800 provides you with a faster frame rate than the x1600 but you do loose the additional features offered by the 1000 series cards.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The X1800, X1600 and X1300 are all the new R520 architecture, respectively the top-of-the-line, mainstream and budget models. So, I would expect the X1600 to fall somewhere in between the X1800 and X1300 models.

The X850 and X800 are the older R420 architecture, the X850 being a somewhat tweaked R420 apparently to get higher clock speeds.

4. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Actually the top of the line is now the ATI X1900XT. Which was just released.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I was going to link you to ATI's product comparison chart for the X1300, x1600, and the x1800, but it seems that the x1600 isn't listed on their chart... :confused:

But like BTA said, it falls between the x1300 and the x1800 to be ATI new "mainstream - midrange" card.

The new x1900 doesn't adjust the x1600's position on the list, it just adds a new tier to the current lineup, that being the 'Faster than your computer and wallet can handle" tier. :lol: :hahaerr: :rolling:

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is nVidia not being considered? The 6600GT is quite nice, and can be had for about $180 right now. I personally prefer nVidia to ATI by leaps and bounds.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Benchmark-wise, considering achievement and price, 6600GT is a great card. I've never talked about it with an owner, though.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

geforce 6600 is below there, somewhere, below x800, x700. i would rather have a simple 6800 agp 256mb if i am considering nvdia (and that is usd 215). It seems to me now, taking my price range into consideration, 200-ish, ati is a better choice. below usd 200 nvida cards as the ones that are going to be outdated in months and better cards cost significantly more, 300 and above.

9. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Anandtechs price guide for Jan...

eVGA GeForce 7800GT 256MB XtremeGear 285.00
    eVGA GeForce 6800GS 256MB ZipZoomFly 189.99
    Sapphire Radeon X800XL 256MB AllStarShop 219.00
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 256MB NewEgg 146.99

If you can afford 250 you'll probably find a 7800gt - it outperforms all the ati cards apart from the new x1900 series and is much cheaper. Yes Fear and COD2 run well on it. The X1600 is no great shakes. You'll probably find the x850xt drop to almost 200 - now the x1900s out - but no sm3 or hdr.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.