1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nvidia Quad SLI 7800 GT Video Card

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Abdel - Bhaal Spawn, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It was only a matter of time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/14/sneak_preview_of_the_nvidia_quad_gpu_setup/

I actually thought about this the other day when I read the forum on dual CPUs. I thought why didn't the graphic card companies start making their GPUs dual. Than it hit me, why not SLI a dual GPU which would give your roughly 4 GPU. To my surprise it only a matter of days.

It is a pitty thought they don't have the cards working like they should. If they did I imagine they would blow the Nvidia GTX SLi setup out of the water or at least get 5-10 FPS more.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Damn... now I need to upgrade my SLI!

3. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Yes, Read this a couple of days back - similar to the Gigabyte GT1 that was based on two 6600gt chips on one card. Its a good solution for extreme performance - if you've got money to burn that is.
    I'd still like to see more performance from SLI given that you normally get only about a 30% increase in framerate for a large outlay.

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

TDO, it's still a lot better than Crossfire, and it can get up to 80% in some situations.

The problem with this is that it's just not profitable to bother building things that almost everyone's going to salivate over - and noone's going to be able to afford. Plus, they can be bottlenecked really very badly.

5. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think the SLI setup can achieve great results but of course this is all based on other system components such as CPU, RAM, PSU, Motherboard, etc... I believe all of these and a few others actually will either increase or decrease the true performance from a SLI system.

6. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Crossfires still in its infancy - and from what I've heard trying to get a master card, it like finding a piece of rocking horse s**t.
    The problem with multiple cards is with how the drivers are set up and how the games programmers use them. Ie. there are all used slighly differently. Not only that but each GPU has to take on a seperate job rather than truely working together to process a frame. Once the programmers and drivers are set to a more close standard there will be a distinct improvement.

ATM SLIs not really worth it and crossfire definately isn't worth investing in.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.