1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Install files

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Fhjull Forked-Tongue, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Fhjull Forked-Tongue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Does anyone know of a way to explore or look at an install file?
    maybe even extract the contents of it and make it executable without installing?

2. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

What do you exactly mean with "install file" ?? A .inf-file, a straight binary .exe or a self-extracting .exe ??
    If it's the last one you can always try to open it manually with a good packing program.

Why do you want to execute a program you don't want to install ?

3. Fhjull Forked-Tongue Gems: 2/31

Well, the reasons I am curious, are 1)Just to see if it can be done. 2)To avoid what I call garbage files from being put on my system

Example: Lets say I download some simple utility, but when I download it it's a setup application that will install the executable file and a bunch of garbage files on my computer.
    I would like to know if there is a way to just extract the executable file from the installer rather than install this "package"

When you say I could use a good packing program, what do you mean? What is a good packing program to use?

4. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

aaaaahm, well ... you know, in order to run properly a program needs more files than the actual executable. take for example games - you have an executable but all the data (graphics, areas, whatever) is stored in separate files.
    and for anyone but an absolute crack it's hard to tell whether a file is "garbage" or absolutely necessary

i'd recommend to install any program the way it's meant to be installed ... and if you are not sure what is all included in the program and think it could be unsafe... don't install it

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Separating "garbage" files isn't really that hard.

WinRar should be (FilZip definately is) able to open a self-extracting zip that is in exe form, but unfortunately I don't know a way for install files. Besides, what works for one probably doesn't work for another using a different install system.

6. Fhjull Forked-Tongue Gems: 2/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.