1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Windows Vista - Will You Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Chandos the Red, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    There are some changes in the in the air regarding operating systems: Microsoft plans its new version of Windows for next year, and Apple is moving towards the dreaded (for Mac fans) PC world owned jointly owned by Intel and AMD. IMO, MS XP has been a pretty good OS, especially compared to 95, 98 and ME. While the new Vista version looks interesting, I may hold off to see what happens with the Apple X Tiger operating system for PC if I move off of XP. If it becomes available for PC and it is everything it's supposed to be.

:doh: I forgot to include a box for those who are running multiple operating systems...sorry.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8667522/

[ July 22, 2005, 18:32: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Windows Vista - Will You Upgrade? (19 votes.)

Windows Vista - Will You Upgrade? (Choose 1)
    * Yeah, Vista Seems to be Just "Fab!" - 32% (6)
    * Apple! I've been Waiting for the Rest of World to Catch Up. - 0% (0)
    * MS? Apple? Give me my Linux! Or Give Me Death. - 21% (4)
    * I never upgrade. DOS anyone? - 42% (8)
    * Other, OS - Be a REAL Geek. Run Unix, etc. - 5% (1)

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Can't see what the fuss is here. Will upgrade my PC in 9th month and to (haxx0red) WinXP 64, perhaps giving Linux a share too. By all probability, this new M$ OS will add even more strick "anti-piracy" measures to make your life difficult. On-boot Internet validation, anyone?

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I will sick with my current version of WinXP Pro untill the 64 bit and dual core technoloy is fully taken advantage of...then I'll upgrade to a newer OS...but there's a 99.999% chance of it being a M$ OS.

I was reluctant to upgrade from Win2k Pro, but WinXP has been good to me. :rolling:

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    They've been delaying Lonhorn for more than 2 years, and now they're announcing a new OS? :confused:

Bah, I'll stick to Linux, thank you very much. And when I absolutely need Windows, I've still got my trusty ol' Win95 OSR/2 :lol:

I'll think about trying WinXP the day they release a patch that strips it to the bare minimum required to run on a Pentium 2 with 64 Megs of RAM. Otherwise, no need to bother :)

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Ziad - It's not a new OS; Vista is the official name for Longhorn (read Chandos's link).

Anyway, I can't see myself upgrading for a coupler of years.

6. Ziad

Media:
    Aha! So they ARE releasing the thing after all! Thanks for the correction.

And I am STILL not going to install it on my Pentium II....

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    What was WinXP's code name? I can't think of it offhand.

@Ziad: You *really* need to upgrade your computer. :p :rolling:

8. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I will upgrade, but I'll wait a few months before doing so. Might aswell let other people do the unvoluntarily bugtesting :p

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Whatever is not from M$, less buggy and runs programs and games properly without bothering me with emulators, is going to be my system.

10. Ziad

Media:
    @Chev: Sorry, does not exist :)
    Actually, Linux or MacOS would fit that bill if you SERIOUSLY limit the number of games you want to play (IIRC, the only Windows game that runs on Linux with no emulation is NWN)

@Kitrax: I know, but I'm moving out most probably in less than a month, for 3 years, so I'll wait until then. And I'm leaving my parents to suffer with the Pentium II. Not that my mother cares, the only thing she does on it is play Spider Solitaire :)

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Only if I have to, I had to upgrade from time to time, I remember started with Win 3.1 then 95, then 98 and then XP but everytime because hardware and software (call them games) forced me to do it.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

@Ziad: Unreal Tournament 2k3+ also does. There was another FPS as well. More and more games - a few anyway - are giving you the option.

13. Ziad

Media:
    Hear that Chev? You've found your future favorite system! ;)

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm happy with Windows XP at the moment...I'll only upgrade the day my games are no longer supported by Windows XP! :D

@Gopher: I think you are talking about Quake III Arena.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I wouldn't even know how to upgrade my operating system therefore I would not be upgrading.

16. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'll probably upgrade ... only if I don't spend all my money on the hardware ... could always run 64bit linux on it

17. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

meh... XP is good enough. Theyll probly charge 300$ for vista for the full install, which will make people get bootleg copies...

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Some of my favourit games will not play on XP, so I sure as hell will not 'upgrading' to Vista.

I am currently learning Linux, and having a duel bootup, for when I must use windows.

19. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I'll stay with XP for now.

20. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

"300$ for vista for the full install"

Yea, they don't need WPA to prevent piracy. Just lower the dm price!

"Some of my favourit games will not play on XP"

What games? I've got games meant for DOS to work. In fact I have a game that specifically says on the box "Will not work with XP" and works perfectly well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.