1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mp3 encoders...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so it turns out that almost all of my Mp3s were ripped at 128kbps...which sounds fine on my computer, but sucks big time when listening to them on my Mp3 player. So I need to get all my Mp3s encoded at 192kbps or higher for them to sound good...problem is, I don't have access to a lot of the original CDs.

So, does anyone know if there is a program that can re-encode Mp3 files at a higher bit-rate? A free one would help too... :rolling:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm afraid that upconverting the bit rate will do you no good; you've already lost the fidelity, and you can't recover it unless you go back to the source.

Bit rate converters are good for downconverting the bit rate so that you can save space at the expense of sound quality.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What BTA says, the mp3 encoding process is lossy, so the extra data is thrown away and only the leftovers are compressed.

4. Kitrax

Media:
    Crap. :bang:

Well, it looks like I'll be making several visits to the local libraries...

Thanks guys. :rolling:

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Your MP3 player won't play MP3 PRO or WMA? Both of those will give you CD-quality sound out of 64 kbps.

6. Kitrax

Media:
    I don't use WMA files. And I've never heard of MP3 Pro.

Anyway, I've already deleted and re-ripped about 130 songs from my CD collection, and I have 10 CDs on hold for me at the local library... In a week or so, I'll have all the songs I once had re-ripped at 192kbps. :rolling:

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Fine, but with either of those formats you could cram about three times the number of songs onto your MP3.

8. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is no way to archieve CD-quality with bitrate that low. You might not have a player/headphones that will make any difference between a 64kbps WMA and a CD, but I assure you, the difference is there.

In order to get CD-Quality audio you need a lossless codec, such as WAW, or FLAC. Microsoft has claimed that they offer CD-Quality audio with 64kbps WMA, but this is simply not true when it comes to high-end equipment. WMA might however often prove to be a better choice than MP3.

WMA does however offer lossless compression, which is what true CD-Quality would be. However, the file size for this type of use of the codec is a lot higher than 64kbps, usually over 640kbps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.