1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need good DVD/CD Copying Software

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm about to buy a new, very-highly reviewed DVD/CD RW combo drive from NEC. The problem is it's OEM, and I've never bought anything OEM before. So I guess I have 2 questions.

1) Do OEM components usually come with any kind of software?

2) What is a good, affordable DVD/CD copying software? Spending less than $20 would be prefereable; FREE is of course optimal.

Thanks a pantload.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I got software drivers and studff all with mine, and included. I have Nero for the burner side of it, and intervideo win DVD for the player. I've found both of these to be excellent. If your new drive doesnt have any software and drivers with it, then it might be worth checking these two out.

3. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Two shareware programs are Alcohol and Blindwrite. Unfortunatly, they only give a month of free use. They work dandy in that time period though.

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks Rednick - I love Clone CD, and was under the impression that the company that made it had been shut down. Now I can see I was thankfully mistaken. That's what I'll be picking up.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No problem, DR. :)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They HAVE been shut down, I remember trying to find their website a few months ago and there were just a bunch of fake sites, and the proper one with a shut-down notice.

I guess their current address explains it all:

SlySoft Inc.
    Dickenson Bay Street
    John Henry Bldg.
    St. John's
    Antigua (West Indies)

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

They just went underground to avoid problems with tight-hats. ;)

AFAIK, CloneCD/DVD and Alcohol 120% are supposed to be the best disc-image programs out there. Have only used CloneCD and it did the job quite well.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yes, CloneCD is awesome. I've been able to successfully copy several major games with it. I can only assume their DVD software is just as good.

10. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Alcohol 120% and Nero is all I've ever used... I wouldn't bother buying n e thing, just download it...

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Actually, now that I've done a little research, I've found that Alcohol 120% will do everything and more than all 3 of the Clone programs combined (ie, both DVD and CD's), for $30 dollars less. It's also newer technology, and hence can get through the newer copy protections easier. I just ordered my new burner (suh-weeetness) and will download the trial as soon as it arrives.

Has anyone else had any good experiences with Alcohol 120% they'd like to relate? I'm all ears, and would greatly appreciate any advice.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've only ever used Nero, but I've heard good things about Alcohol (stupid name aside).

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have managed to make quite functionable nice images with win-ISO. I am not sure if this programs burns down the image on a CD as well though.

14. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Is win-ISO similar to ISO buster? This is another favourite of mine normally used for decompressing large cd/dvd imgs.

15. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would recomend Nero and Alcohol 120%. CloneCD is a great piece of software, but unfortunatly recent anti-piracy protections have been using the tactic of preventing the game from starting if CloneCD is installed on the machine. It's a bit ironic that this "feature" harms honest customers more than pirates.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Pyro

I have had it installed together with such recent releases as HL2, FarCry, Evil Genius, etc, and no problems. IMO it's only a matter of renaming a certain file that has been black-listed by the "anti-piracy" software. Like in Daemon Tools where it asks you to name that file during install. ;)

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have no idea Slayer, win-ISO is the only one I have used and it worked great for me. I tend to be really impressed with software which actually do what they are supposed to, ie which work. I tend to have quite low expectations and when something works I am blown away.

18. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@ Wirhe

Maybe so :) But still, it's not a good sign that anti-piracy software has started attempting to detect it, because the next generation of protection might detect it even better. That's why I think it's a better idea to go with software that hasn't been deemed "untrustworthy" by the "industry".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.