1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you like Dell?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, besides haveing the worst possible catch phrase, "Dude! You're getting a Dell!", what is your opinion on Dell...whether it be their desktops, laptops, TVs, printers, PDAa, or anything else Dell makes. You can still voice your opinion even if you don't own any of thier products...you can go by how they look, if you are so inclined. :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 10 question(s). 11 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you Dell... (11 votes.)

Do you like Dell's Desktop Computer Systems? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 18% (2)
    * No! - 82% (9)
    * N/A - Just the results for me... - 0% (0)

Do you like Dell's Laptop Systems? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 45% (5)
    * No! - 55% (6)

Do you like Dell's LCD/Plasma TVs? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 27% (3)
    * No! - 64% (7)
    * N/A - Just the results for me... - 9% (1)

Do you like Dell's Pocket PCs (PDA)? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 9% (1)
    * No! - 73% (8)
    * N/A - Just the results for me... - 18% (2)

Do you like Dell's Jukebox (Mp3 player)? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 18% (2)
    * No! - 73% (8)

Do you like Dell's printers? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 18% (2)
    * No! - 73% (8)

Do you like Dell's Speakers? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 0% (0)
    * No! - 100% (11)

Do you like Dell's Wireless networking products? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 9% (1)
    * No! - 73% (8)

Do you like Dell's projectors? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 18% (2)
    * No! - 64% (7)

Do you like Dell at all? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 45% (5)
    * No! - 55% (6)

2. avengerofholiness Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I purchased a Dell about a year and a half ago and it has served me very well. I am currently looking at getting a new one and as far as I have looked they have the best value anywhere for a pre-built pc system. As for the other products I have not purchased any yet.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am not going to actually vote due to my opinion belonging to a dual yes/no for most categories. In terms of buying computers for myself I would have to say no - I prefer to build my own with the exact parts that I want/like and I generally do so a piece or two at a time.

However, when just about anyone else comes to me saying they want advise about getting a home computer I generally point them directly to the Dell website. Oh, and yes this is a regular enough event that is a real issue for me.

Dell's prices are reasonably cheap, the components work and are properly installed, the tech support/warrenty is good enough that I don't have to go over and help solve problems all the time, etc. All of which means less work for me while the buyer is happy.

One thing that I don't like is how they have recently made it very difficult to order a desktop on-line without having an included monitor. I have found that someone who wants to upgrade his/her computer will usually be satisfied with the current monitor. If Dell went back to the old way of having no monitor as a selectable choice for all models that would please me greatly.

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I just dont like them. Their customer support is awful, and I guess I just hate big computer companies. I like to build mine from components bought through a small wholesale outlet.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The customer support I got through Dell was awesome. Their website was really user friendly and helped me pick the right bits that I wanted to have on my computer and their special offers were enough to get me the computer I wanted at a price that was not too much more than some of the smaller places I looked into. Plus nothing has gone wrong with the computer in the two years I've had it (well, nothing that wasn't my own fault anyway).

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Trust me, if the people that I have constantly asking me questions can have their problems solved/explained by Dell's tech support then the tech support people must be decent. ;)

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Really? Do you speak Hindi? I have contacted Dell's customer support for a replacement modem...even though I knew that was not the problem with my computer...but I let them waste money on me anyway, since the "tech" assured me that I had a malfunctioning modem (actually, I had disabled the TelNet service and forgot about it, but they never even considered software as the problem). I have also called Dell's financial services and had to deal with a tech in India who I could barely understand. I usually get my problems solved, but only after I have them repeat themselves a couple of times so I can understand what they are trying to say. :bang:

Why couldn't Dell move their Tech support to Mexico? That way I can actually understand them...as I have developed a keen ear for understanding the thickest Mexican accent...and can now fully (and accurately) impersonate it! :thumb: :rolling:

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, all I can say is that my experience with Dell has been reasonably pain-free compared with my experiences with other corporates, like say, Vodafone for example.

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Being a do it yourself guy I really can't comment on my own personal computers, but my high school uses dells and they are fairly boring...

10. Harbourboy

Boring? How can a PC itself be boring? Isn't it what you do on the computer that makes it boring or exciting?

If you only do school work on the school computer then of course it is going to be boring.

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I can see why a PC can be boring by itself. I would call the average PC, without state-of-the-art parts in it pretty boring. It gets the job done for most people, but it doesn't have anything extra for the person who wants really cool graphics or a sound cart with lots of options. Dells are excelent for the average guy, who mainly uses the computer for accesing e-mail, the internet and the standard Office applications.

Another reason why I would never buy a Dell is that you don't really know what you're getting. If you buy a 16 speed DVD drive, you don't know what kind of brand you will get. There is a big difference in parts from one developer and another, and the only thing you can be sure of is that Dell put the cheapest one in your pc.

12. Harbourboy

Well, I can't afford to have "state of the art parts" (well, not until they become a couple of years old at least) so I'll have to make do with being Mr Average. Not sure how state of the art parts could make much difference to the enjoyment of Baldur's Gate II anyway.

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Trust me, a GX-1 is pretty boring... The beige case, the pentium 2 inside.... The complete lack of a graphics card...

14. Harbourboy

Lucky I don't even know what a GX-1 is.......

15. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well seeing as I can fix most of the problems on my computer my self I havent had to deal with Dell's cusomer service since the first few days I had it, and all the problems were my fault so I havent had any trouble with the actual computer, in my opinion they are an okay coperation. :eek: :evil:

16. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH(sorry for the over-exclamation...)!! Dell would be my LAST choice of a computer. They build their own motherboards for goodness sake. Their hardware is crap! I'd say the customer service is their ONLY redeeming factor. Well, there is also the low cost in most cases. But, like they say, you get what you pay for!

17. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I would say I do actually like the new Dells, our school just got some GX270's with 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM and GeForce 4's. We love them. But still, do it yourself is the way to go.

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I sold computers for many years at the retail level. I started back when there were i386 computers, and Dell was always a tough competitor. In fact, I hated selling against them. I've sold Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, AST, NEC, Sony, e-Machine, Toshiba Packard-Bell, and even Digital Equipment, to name a few.

Some of these companies don't even sell computers at the retail level any longer and some of them are no longer around. In the old days I had a lot of respect for Michael Dell. In those days Packard-Bell was a hot-selling computer (believe it or not). Most of the stuff they made was really not very good, but in the mid-nineties they captured an amazing share of the retail market. At that time Michael came out and said that he would "never" model his company after Packard-Bell, regardless of how successful they were at selling cheap computers for 499.99. I thought he was very cool for saying that he would always build high quality machines.

But by the end of the nineties Packard was in trouble and they sold out to NEC. The nameplate disappeared shortly after. But now guess who sells those cheap computers for 499.99? If you guessed Dell, then you win the grand prize: A Packard-Dell. Never say "never."

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I generally dislike pre-configured computers, as they usually contain a lot of bad components and useless garbage (like WinXP -would never pay 200 extra bucks of that :rolleyes: ). They also tend to be a lot more expensive than the ones you can tailor for your own tastes, although -and IIRC- Dell seems to have rather reasonable prices if still higher than normal. Their cases seem to stand out from the mass too, so when compared to others they might be a bit better choise for those who do not know a jack about computers and hardware reviews.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.