1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying a new computer, opinions?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Register, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Intel cel 2.8 prescott 256 cache
    Mothercard asrock fsb800 HT, Sata
    LAN costumized
    6 channel sound
    DVD-Player, CDRW
    256mb pc3200 400mhz RAM
    80gb Harddrive, will attach another 40 GB.
    Powercolour 9250 graphics 128mb dvi tv-out
    Chassi Raidmax cobra neonfans sidewindows
    Price: $555USD or 4200 Svenska Kronor.

Buying it from an auction site, so it is used but very new, he won a computer in a lottery right after he bought this, so it is easily customized and have free spots for 6 extra HDs.

The computer on the Right
    Opinions please?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You need at least 512MB RAM, and I don't know what that graphic card is. The rest is decent enough, but nothing special.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Still a little pricey for the system imo.

4. Register Gems: 29/31

I don't play any "huge" games, the toughest I will play are ToEE, NWN with expansions, CoD:AO, maybe some Mafia, and in the end, WCIII.

I also get an original Windows XP copy on the buy, so that may highten the price from what it should cost.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... 9250 sounds like Radeon model. Not so bad then. But you do need at least 512 MB RAM and having it 400 Mhz, as this computer does, is a good idea. Don't save any bucks on the hard drive, the difference in price between 80 and 120 GB is usually a couple of beers worth. If I may suggest something, get a fast disk, like those 8 MB Cache ones or the SATA ones. As for the graphics card (again), get a product of a reliable manufacturer rather than something with big stats but no big name. It pays off to have your card made by a major power on the market. Also, DVD RW drives aren't much more expensive that simple DVD readers right now. You could consider getting one, although I would still use a separate drive for reading and for writing if I needed to write lots.

Well, better than nothing and not really an extortion, but I would keep seeking a better bargain.

6. Register Gems: 29/31

Consider 2 things when reading this:
    1. My monthly income is about 125 bucks, so I don't have too much to go on.
    2. I am buying everything in a package, so the excanging of things will have to come as time goes by.

I don't see the big difference in 256 and 512. It's really fast and a it faster to me. What needs so high RAM that it's unplayable with 256?

Well, as I said, I already have a 40GB HD to use, and since I am used to using this 233Mhz CPU I am used to have really low memory to use.

Hmm, I thought the "256 cache" filled that position. Oh well.

I am planning this one. One of the first things on my to do list, right after buying WCIII, WCIII:FT, ToEE, NWN, NWN:SoU, and NWN:HotU.

Well, I don't watch DVD's very often, and if I do, I don't think I will copy too many of them. I am not a rental movie person, I am a buy movie person.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

It's not very good and I'm certain that it will be obsolete in about 3 years. For one, Celeron is about 30% less powerful than Pentium or Athlon series. Also, 512 MB of DDR RAM is the standard of today. (C'mon, it doesn't even cost much.) Games need it.

As to WinXP, try Win2k instead. It's cheaper, does not require any annoying "activations", and performs faster too. Of course, there is a totally free option too, if you are willing to give it 25% of your HDD-space. ;)

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You definitely want 512 meg of ram. These days, 256 is the bare minimum; older games don't matter much, but newer games benefit substantially from the extra 256.

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Friggin' Windows will benefit from 512MB of RAM. 256 won't get it done at all. If you buy this computer, which is quite decent BTW, buy a stick of DDR 400 RAM in 512MB. However, if that computer has just 1 256 DIMM, get another one to match it and run it dual channel. The difference between 512 and 256 is recognizable instanly. :yum:

10. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Since you use WinXP you surely need 512MB of memory. Preferably two sticks of 256, running in dual channel mode. It may be a good idea to save money from the case for it. It makes great difference not only in how games run but also in how often your computer gets stuck.

The 9250 is a good base graphics card, nothing special but good for it's money. I also think win2k are better, they need no activation, and are faster (except you optimize XP for gaming, that is).

11. Register Gems: 29/31

I will use Xp for a time but once I am ****ing tired of it(hate xp with a passion) I will switch back to 98SE or ME.

And you all have convinced me, 512 is the next thing for me to get.

But what games in my list in my second post requires so ****ing much RAM?

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Windows XP does. If you don't like it, go for 2000 Pro.

13. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I second that.

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's a pretty computer. I don't like plexiglass because it doesn't shield EMF. Fluorescent bulbs play havoc with plain old modems, not to mention the printer. Not bad for $555, though. Lemme see if I can dig up something around that price...

A Walmart .38 special.

A desktop Walmart .38 ACP with longslide.

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Ugh, my Win98 Laptop has more RAM that that clunker.
    Walmart should provide Linux with that thing instead.

16. Register Gems: 29/31

We don't have Walmart in Sweden, and no offence, but even if we did, I wouldn't buy that laptop for that cash if my life depended on it.

17. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Good call. That thing is a piece of crap.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, there's lots of difference. Easily visible in ToEE, for instance. XP had better have at least 512, as well. Plus, buying a 256 MB memory chip is a bad deal. When you need more RAM in the future, you'll be able to get another 512 MB chip and you'll be set for some time. With 256 MB chips, it will be much less fun.

Disks are dirt cheap right now. Sometimes the difference between the same size disks from different companies is bigger than one step size difference within one company. If, let's say, 80 GB costs $100 and 120 GB costs $110, the choice is quite simple, really. And that's how prices look over here. Where you live, it's probably slightly different, though I doubt the proportions vary a lot.

19. Register Gems: 29/31

I need a comparision.

Imagine some looser sitting on a 233Mhz and playing BGII:ToB with 32MB RAM and a full install. Would it lag more for a guy who is playing ToEE on a 2.8Ghz with 256MB RAM than the looser with the 233Mhz-er?
    If the difference is large, in a good way for the 2.8Ghz, I will, and I repeat, WILL enjoy the computer.

:D

20. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Running ToEE on WinXP... with 256 RAM, i think it would lag more.

I personally wouldn't touch that machine for that price seeing it got a Celeron processor and 256mb of RAM.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.