1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Possible virus? Plus advice please

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Gehn, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ok, recently my laptop has been having trouble connecting to the internet. When I boot up and log in, normally my msn messenger will boot up too. It doesn't. So I try to activate int explorer and go online, I cant do that either. I find that if I do the whole unplug cable modem/router, then plug back in again thing, I can go back online (this is how I managed to be typing this post now).
    I also have zone alarm, and sometimes when I boot up, and am having the afore metioned problems it will promt me to give my own ip address access? I give it access, but the problems still persist. So basicly my connection to the internet is severed. At least thats the way it looks to me.

I have norton antivirus, but its, well its very out of date, as I havent re-subcribed in about a year because its the same version my step dad uses (we run our coms off the same network) and so, he can re-sub, but I can't, I need cd keys I dont have etc. Anyway, I scanned for viruses and none were found, but like I said, that doesn't mean anything neccessarily because its not up to date.

So what I'm asking is, does this not being able to connect to the internet thing soudn like a virus? And also, what is a really good and up to date FREE virus software I can use to run a new check?

Oh also, I have not installed windows sp2, but my step dad has, and even though we run off the same network, it couldn't have anything to do with it right?
    Please fill me with some wisdom sp :confused: :)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nah, I don't think this is a virus, more likely a problem with ZoneAlarm... I've had similar in the past. Try removing ZoneAlarm from startup for a while and see if the problems disappear.

As for a free virus scanner, I can recommend avast!.

3. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Hey thanks Tal. But me being only borderline computer literate (well, for these days anyhow) how do i remove zone alarm from startup?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] (I'm using the bare bones free version.)

In Overview, Preferences, General, remove the tick from Load ZoneAlarm at startup.

5. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Hehehe, thanks, got it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.