1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Having trouble with spyware?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] If you are having trouble with spyware,(common symptoms: pc running slowly, lots of unwanted popup ads, computer is restarting itself frequently, etc...)go to: www.lavasoftusa.com and downoload ad-aware SE personal. If you've never done this before, it would be a good idea even if you don't notice any of the "symptoms". Something like four out of five computers are infected with spyware(also known as ad-ware)! Install the program and run a full system scan , rather than the default smart system scan . When the scan finishes, be sure and delete all the items that come up(you can right click and click select all, instead of having to check every box)! Then, immediately after finishing the scan and deleting the items, restart your computer. You might even want to run the program again in safe mode with the same procedure.

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

And don't forget, always use Mozilla FIrefox.

I also heard Bonzi Buddy is a good program to prevent Spyware from infesting your computer.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I ran that Ad Aware. Man, it came up with SO much stuff - it was a wonder I had any room left on my drive at all. Spyware and other indisious malware is a huge problem. Declare war on it.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    No offense to Lavasoft, but I've seen Norton 2004 catch spywares that were passing right by Ad-Aware...

It's a good program, but I wouldn't use it exclusively. Though the Norton/Ad-Aware combination seems to work wonders, especially if both are kept up to date. And if you don't use IE (hint hint :) )

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ad-Aware is nice, but there are always adware and spyware that reinstal themselves on a reboot. If you combine Ad-Aware with SpySweeper then nothing will be passed up, and it won't be able to get back on your computer if you have the Zone Alarm and a virus scanner like McAfee.

I know it sounds like a lot, but if you don't want to use Mozilla, or Opera, then the 4 programs above (3 of which always run in the background) are a must! :rolling:

6. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Hmm. I've read from many sources that Bonzi Buddy is actually spyware. You might wanna double check that before you download it.

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Haven't used it myself. Forget the bonzi buddy then.

8. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

another good free spyware program is spybot or spydoctor. I am a net admin and I use it at my work and it works great. Free of charge.

9. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I have broadband and I recently purchased a router with firewall. I also have ZoneAlarms free firewall, Norton AntiVirus, ad-aware and spybot. Since I installed the router, the amount of spyware on my computer has been almost nothing when I do my weekly scans.

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I also, Norton AntiVirus, ad-aware and spybot. It seems to get rid of most of them.

Though I think I was better off before I knew they were there. Maybe not better off, but saner.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You guys keep forgetting that the best way to keep your computer spyware, adware, and virus free is to keep them from getting there in the first place! Get a good firewall and most of it won't be able to get by it and on to your computer. :rolling:

12. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Well then, what is a really good, free, firewall?

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Zonealarm is free and I haven't had any problems with it.

14. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Jaguar, try black ice, I knew they use to have one.
    @Kitrax, I have a firewall myself, but some websites actually have issues with firewalls, ex. banking websites, University websites etc. I agree with you but some people would have to constantly re configure their firewall depending on where they were going

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

What sort of firewall does look 'n' stop have.
    My cousin got it and now she says she has to format and reinstall Windows becoz of it.
    Ofcourse she was stupid and was not using ZoneAlarm, AdAware, SpySweeper and Firefox.
    Still I cant believe that a firewall itself was malicious.

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Hmm... i've been fighting with spyware quite a lot.

I use Ad-Aware and Spybot to get rid of spyware (Spybot's 'immunize' function is very useful) and Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

Bonzi buddy _IS_ spyware.

And for a firewall, ZoneAlarm isn't bad.
    Personally i use F-Secure Internet Security 2004.

17. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

To prevent (not cure) spyware and Virus, hacking, buffer overload etc I would recommend a program called Prevx. This program monitors unusual behavious(Generic Host Prevention) and it not 'signature based' like Norton.

You can go to www.prevx.com or www.download.com

18. Mulsis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm not sure how old this is, but if you are dead set toward using IE, download this program

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

It prevents spyware, meaning that it will not remove any, but properly updated, should prevent you from getting a ton of them.

P.S, It destroyes active x control, meaning that some pages (www.rollingstone.com) will not display properly.

However they are few and far between and you wouldn't want to go to most of them anyway.

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Great just the links for me at the right time, thanks :)

I have broadband and no firewall, no antivirus, no anti-spyware, nothing. When i do notice something blocking my comp, i get a random antivirus app to cleanse the whole thing. Dont bother with it often, though.
    Just yesterday i got a few new spyware apps, so i'm running your ad-aware right now.

But normaly i dont have a problem with viruses&spyware&... despite the lack of protection against them. I do use Mozilla Firefox and have a few bookmarked pages i visit every day, but other than that, i'm not a common visitor of any 'suspicious' pages, so i guess this helps the whole matter.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have SpyBot, SpyBlaster, RegScrub and Norton. I am firewalled. I added Ad-Aware and it came up with 96 critical items.
    Alas the trials of Internet life. Mayhap I shall return to the pastoral life of my youth. Oh, just remembered I hated it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.