1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Annoying, unremovable spyware.

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Takara, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

NO spyware is EVER completely "unremovable", although I've come very close to such thoughts in the past. It's true that Ad-aware etc. won't get rid of it all. But you can always get rid of it by other means. Boot up your computer in safe mode(use msconfig to do a "selective startup" or whatever, that way the files won't recopy themselves and once you delete the files and their keys, they won't come back) and run ad-aware. Then go to your hard drive and make sure any of the files of the malicious agent are deleted there. Then open the registry and delete the keys! If all else fails, back up your important files(such as documents and saved games) onto cd's, completely reformat your hard drive; do a fresh install of windows, get all the windows updates including service pack 2, install antivirus software like Norton 2005. Then put the back up cd's into your drive one at a time and scan them for viruses with Norton(right click on the cd and click scan for viruses). Then copy them onto the hard drive once the scan finishes. And finally, of course, reinstall whatever programs the files were associated with(example: Games, Microsoft Office...). Good luck man, don't give up!

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unfortunately there is something called "Rootkits" which predate "Windows". It originally targeted Unix etc. Recently it has hit "Windows". AFAIK it is extremely difficult to remove. The only sure way is to re-format.

3. Maxinion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

BINGO. I had the same problem when my brother/ parents refused to use Firefox. This worked perfectly for me, even when AdAware and Spybot didn't (though those work for every single other one out there, if combined).

Oh, and go use Firefox. Or Linux. You do know you can play BG2 on Linux, right? (No mods, though)

4. Dias Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] guys I'm having the same problem, it's a new topic called p.c. emergency, pls. help me, even my internet explorer icon doesn't work anymore, and I was trying to email to myself important files so I can download it later (didn't work either, can I email whole folders? tried it says there was an error) Help!!! :(

[Don't post in other topics telling people to go read one of yours. Everyone can see your new topic just fine. :toofar: ] -Tal

[ November 09, 2004, 21:52: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Just found out with spybot that I have coolwwwsearch. Guess what is going to be removed. :D

EDIT: Goddamnit, spybot fixes the problem, but the website, named about:blank in the browser but is really coolwwwsearch, keeps appearing as my starting website. What to do?

[ November 16, 2004, 08:51: Message edited by: Caleb* ]

6. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

ad-aware has removed this viscious piece of spyware in the past but I also use spybot to remove what ad-aware can miss.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh, well, :doh: . Now, with ad-aware and spybot together with pc-cillin I managed to remove all traces from the little bastard, so I am happy now. Lalalalala! :hippy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.