1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows XP SP2 Ate My Computer

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Elios, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, it didn't actually eat my computer, but it messed up several things.
    First, it kept conflicting with Norton Firewall. I turned off the windows firewall like those of you who responded to another post suggested. Then, everytime I turned on my computer I kept getting a message saying the status of my firewall is unknown and my computer may be at risk. Boy, were they right.
    I started getting pop-up after pop-up. I also somehow mysteriously obtained several viruses and spy ware programs. Now, I have not gone to many websites aside from here, my bank, credit card sites and a few other sites I trust. I called Norton, and after paying the $60 or so for tech support per call, the guy tells me that SP2 has been causing some major problems with Norton.
    I bought and installed an ethernet adapter for my computer. Ethernet card was working fine. But somehow I couldn't connect to the internet. Called my IP tech support. After trouble shooting and being sent to level 4 of tech support, was basically told the same thing, SP2 has been causing major problems as well.
    Programs that normally worked fine, don't work. Anytime I try to play a media file, like a .wmv, it all messed up. It worked before SP2.
    So, I am reformating my hard drive, reinstalling windows and will not be reinstalling SP2.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, you didn't get anything from SP. SP has been clean as a whistle for over a year now, and I take special care that no ads or pop-ups are malicious in any way.

As for SP2, if you use your computer for more than Office programs, I'd stay away from it. It causes way more trouble than it's worth. Get the latest SP1 and stick with that. And you should get Ad-aware to get rid of any spyware and malware.

3. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, i have installed SP2 to one comp, it wasn't so bad, but still, i wont do it again...

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I can't believe noone warned you for Windows sp2, it messes up most of your games as well, they simply won't run anymore. Until Microsoft found a solution for this, everyone should stay clear from it. If you auto update your Windows system, make sure you DON'T install the sp2.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Mine seems to work just fine. I mean, I haven't installed any major problems, but both Norton and SP2 are running together nicely on my laptop.

6. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Would you believe I actually picked up the SP2 disk from a well known computer store?
    Well Tal, care to explain why I have the "Super Tal Search Bar" on internet explorer now? Just kidding.
    Sad thing is, you don't even have to go to a certain web page, you can just have an open unprotected internet connection and stuff can get on your computer.
    I've checked from several what I call reliable resources, you can't just uninstall SP2, even though the option is there in the control panel. Because SP2 updates so much, uninstalling only causes more problems. Grrrr

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *huggles Elios*

There, thwere, it will be all right...

8. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've had no problems on my machine since installing SP2. I guess I've been fortunate.

Actually, upon reflection, I did have problems updating my Kodak Easyshare software after installing SP2. I thought that it was caused by something else, but now I'm not so sure...

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have to format again just to get rid of this pain in the arse sp2

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The only problem I had with SP2 was I couldn't get access to FTP sites, but that was easy to fix.

I also use Norton Internet Security. I'm using the 2003 version and it seems to work fine.

11. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Or even just for them. The major difference I noticed since installing the damned thing is that MS Word now needs about 2 minutes to load!

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ever hear of System Restore? It works wonders when you have kids, brothers, and the elderly messing with your computer... :D

One question I have, is: were all the games that are supposed to "not work" installed before or after SP2. Has anyone tried installing SP2 right after a re-format and THEN tried to install the games? :rolling:

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Those on M$'s list as not working will not work no matter what.

14. netdiver Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Always make a restore point before installing any Sp or series of updates from Microsoft. I have found this out the hard way. However, aside from some conflicts with NAV and the annoying way MS covertly updated my MP8 to MP9, I haven't had any problems yet.

15. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

SP2 should fix several security gaps of XP and indeed it does but has a tremendous security gap itself.

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

SP2 is a real issue. It makes a lot of changes to some low-level drivers and distributed libraries that some programs just absolutely cannot handle. To be honest, I'm not sure all of it is necessary; I honestly think there's some DRM and anti-pirating measures tucked in there, but I don't know that for certain. What I do know is that it is mostly a new operating system because of it. Whether that's good or bad is your own opinion.

If you abosolutely cannot use SP2 (like myself), I'd suggest a dual-boot with Linux. Or a seperate machine, altogether. Personally, my Windows machine isn't even hooked up to the internet; it's almost strictly an offline gamer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.