1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Offensive mages/sorcerers?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, May 3, 2006.

1. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well it's nice to see that the mages use their spells a bit better. But I still don't like some of the things Tactics does with the way it makes npc's in the games cheat.

I actually kind of wish some fights had a bit of the AI from IWD after you install like HoW because they will call friends and stuff. In my early days I was very prone to casting area affect spells from just out of sight on fights that gave me trouble because not all of them are scripted to track the source of the spell so they would just stand there and die.

2. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

The biggest advantage that a sorcerer has over a Wizard???

He gets more SLEEP. No spell book to have to read by candlelight while all of the warriors, thieves and sorcerers are snooring away around the camp fire. :)

I know in the computer game it doesnt matter one way or the other, but in PnP you have to keep the practical in mind hahahaha

3. starwalker Gems: 16/31

No it just means that unlike the Wizard the Sorcerer has no excuse not to help break down camp and tend to the pack animals and horses and things like that. Takes about an hour or so. Which is what it takes a mage to memorize their spells.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^That was an interesting point of wiev about sorcerer vs mage. ^_^

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31

I played Table Top a long time.

6. Captain Jean-Luc Picard Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ok whenever i play BG2 i ALWAYS have 3 spell casters. why? because edwin is so pumped up (3 extra spells?), my main char is a sorc (the best class in BG2, bar none) and a token summoner/support mage(usally immoen). i could literally do without the other chars i usually have with me (except minsk, hes too funny) with summon creature spells, buffs, and AOE spells. now if i am ambushed with fighters with this party, there is a higher chance id lose then when i face mano a mano to a dragon because for spellcasters, preparedness is the key unlike fighters where you can join in a fight without any preparation and still win. in the end however, how can you say spellcasters are nerfed in BG2 when the only class that can solo BG2 is a sorc?

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    If I remember correctly it actually takes quite a bit longer for a high level mage.....since he has a lot more spells to memorize.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

1. It is the spells themselves that are nerfed from the original 2e versions. It is a fact that some are nerfed, regardless of how effective spellcasters are even with nerfed spells. (A couple were actually increased in effectiveness, I believe, but I don't remember which they were. And I'm not even sure about it in the first place.)

2. ANY class can solo. I've done it myself with both a Thief dualled to a Fighter, and an F/M/T (currently trying a Swashie). In addition, thetruth (another member) has soloed a plain fighter and a Priest of Lathander not just through the regular game, but on insane difficulty with Tactics and Ascension installed.
    IIRC, it was ten minutes per level of the spell, for each spell. A mage of the uber power you get to in BG2 would likely take more than a day to refresh their entire spellbook. Fortunately you only had to meditate for new spells, not the ones you'd memorized earlier and still retained. Cast a Time Stop, and that's an hour and a half you have to spend the next morning rememorizing if you want to cast it again. But the Meteor Swarm you memorized a week ago is still there without any effort. Cast 2 out of the 3 Magic Missle spells you have memorized, and it takes you 20 minutes to get those two rememorized.

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    One of the big reasons 2e mages tended to rely more on wands and scrolls while in a dungeon.....

10. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I really don't think so, I feel that you are not being resourceful enough to see the immense power they wield.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.