1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I kill the Hidden? (Jan's Quest spoiler and Mind Flayer Lair spoiler inside)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neeraj the Freak Paladin, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Ok. I completed Jan's quest about the little girl yesterday, and it got me extra interested in the Mind Flayer lair under the Temple District.

My guys just wiped out the place and I read the Illithid correspondence letter.

My question is should I go back to the sewer (the Copper Coronet one) and kill the Hidden, or should I not?

The only thing holding me back from killing him is if it is all a part of another quest that I'm not aware of.

Someone please answer because I'm trigger happy :mad: versus such evil things! But I would desire to know if the Hidden is a part of another quest.

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm pretty sure that The Hidden isn't in the sewers, he walks out after you talk to him. Besides, anyone can clean the hidden city out, but only a party with Jan can meet The Hidden.

[ September 19, 2003, 02:48: Message edited by: Mystra's Chosen ]

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm going to have to play a game with Jan in my party because I have no clue on what you're talking about. Who, or what is The Hidden? :rolling:

4. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Its this thing in the Jan Jansen quest. You'll find out soon enough when you do that quest.

I hardly ever have Jan in my party, but as soon as I picked him up yesterday, as soon as we left his house, somebody came up to him and talked to him and started the quest for us. :)

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I can't remember any hidden?
    Isn't that some creature of Diablo?
    And this Mindflayer place in the sewers, is it the one which that orge in the Windspear hills has the key for?

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The Hidden City is where you get the Hammer of Thunderbolts (for Crom) and that crappy Wand of Wonder(erous Power?).

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

That is not part of the Jan Jansen quest (it's not part of any quest, actually). It's a neat little place you can go if you feel like a tough guy.

Never heard it called 'The Hidden', though.

8. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think a clarification might be in order. The Hidden is part of Jan's family quest. The confusion with the lair in the sewers under the Temple District stems from a certain resemblance between the Hidden and the dwellers of said lair. :)
    That said, I do not believe you can kill the Hidden. As Mystra's Chosen said, iirc he (it?) walks out after you spoke with him.

Oh, I believe this dude gets mentioned also in the quest for Lilarcor. Seems like he really likes sewers. ;) Does anybody else have the feeling that this is another potential plotline which has been dropped ? :confused:

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SPOILER... [edit - Krazilak beat me to it...]

Just to clarify - "The Hidden" and the mind flayer dungeon under the temple district are 2 completely different things. "The Hidden" is a mysterious figure who you're told is the only one who can cure the affliction of Jan's daughter. After you get him to help you, he reveals himself as a mind flayer, though at first he appears as a human. The favor you do for him in return is wiping out some Githyanki assasins who are after him.

To my knowledge, the two events aren't connected. They may have been intended to be, as there are a few areas in the game the developers intended to be part of bigger quests, but left in unfinished due to time constraints. The only time you can kill "The Hidden," IIRC, is when you're talking to him after he reveals himself, or before (but that won't heal Jan's daughter).

10. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ahm, might me mistaken. But isn't in the mindflayers lair a note, which implies that they're trying to build a stronghold in the city and "the hidden" from Jan's quest seems to me to fit in that scheme. But there is no other link between them.

Which seems to me too, that there was a bigger quest dropped.

11. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The Hidden and the sewer mind flayers are two plot items that Icelus and Barren Fischa are trying to restore in their Unfinished Business mod. They have a post from Bioware regarding the Hidden and the mind flayers as an expanded Jan quest that got dropped.

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

So you're saying that the mindflayers thing was meant to be part of Jan's quests?

13. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

This is originally from Kevin Martens, re-quoted from the Jan and the Hidden thread on the Unfinished Business forum:

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

After having dealt with the Hidden and gotten Lissa healed, I have killed the Hidden -- it takes planning! He's an idiot anyhow. I don't think it's worth the time or effort, though. The XP was minimal, IIRC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.