1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What I'd like to see in Baldur's Gate 3.

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Nogoodnamesleft, Jan 24, 2005.

1. drowling Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No, you're not the only one who prefers 2d, there's me and another zillion of us. (and i think nwn graphics are bad)

2. Sir Goulum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah, I prefer the 2d as well. The NWN style of things is much better on consoles (see Jade Empire) than on the computor. Also, my computor struggles with NWN...

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What is the config? Mine isn't very good but manages to do a decent job. Of course, with 6 characters performing feats, casting spells and whatever in a fight with 20+ goblins, I suppose some care should be taken to optimize the engine and keep you from viewing screenshots.
    Actually, entropy, I rather liked KotOR 2... one of the best plots I've seen in quite a well. What bugs you so much about it?

4. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

my list....

-stat checks. those of you who have played Planescape Torment will know what i mean: hundreds and hundreds of dialogue options that only appear if you have high enough INT, or high enough CHA, DEX,.....

-6 party members is good, but more potential npc's: baldur's gate 1 had tons, baldur's gate 2 had very little.

-a huge part of Faerûn accessible, with all areas completely authentic, including the npc's and stuff. I know this is impossible and will never happen, but a man can dream, right? if they would actually manage this i'd mant to marry them

-a very interactive storyline. Can't have to many options here

-Romances. tons and tons and tons of romances. Also some sort of 'trust' with not-romancing npc's. For example; if you're at -2 hitpoints an npc with low trust would rather run, whereas an npc with high trust would instantly heal you.

-AI that matches the character; no matter what script you set someone to, each character should always have individual AI. in the same case as before, a paladin would stop whatever he's doing and instantly heal someone who needs it

-romances not only between you and an npc, but also between npcs, and theses should be random. Say Minsc fell in love with....eh.....Nalia, then you wouldnt want to kick her out because that would mean losing Minsc as well...I think this belongs to npc interaction, but meh.

Well, that's it....i think

5. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I aggre with you man. Torment had the best dialog i have ever seen in any game in history ever by 10 fold! You do realize that build in scripts for charactes will piss a LOT of people off becuase the NPC wont do what you want him to, you want a paladin to attack and he'll start casting heal light wounds on you're mage and yea that mage is dead... and so is your paladin. Customizable scripts are MUCH better. But the scripts aren't that good.. at all, infact from my point of view they are haphazardly made crap. Always some problems with the scripts. Romances are also complicated, and a lot of them would be very complicated. But when you spend as much time on dialog as they did on torment, then I am sure they will make a lot of romances, but I'd base them on 2 things, attribues like chrasima and alignment, or how you presonally react to them.

6. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

yes, but for the real roleplayers here, a paladin who would ignore a fallen comrade for even an instant and who would still retain his paladin status would be.....well...blasphemy. but on-topic now, what i REALLY want is for the developers to read our ideas :D

7. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Not necessarily, Arianyr; while it would be very difficult for the Paladin to do, if he has a choice between continuing to attack the bad guy (who may, for example, be getting ready to heal himself) and letting his friend die, there are times where letting his friend die is the best choice... even if you hate it. After all, if you break off attacking the BBEG, and he escapes to do more evil things, then you're somewhat responsible... you could have stopped him, but you chose not to.

This becomes even more important in a world where various forms of Ressurection are possible. Killing the BBEG is actually more important than saving someone's life, because their life can be saved after they're dead.

8. St. James Gems: 4/31

Please, please, please stop the stupid romance plots. I coudl hardly stand it when the stupid elf girl offered to "show me her body." Gag. It is like they were marketing it at horny teenage boys or something.

9. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Given the demographics of the gaming industry, St. James, they largely were.

10. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

romaces are optional, so you could just skip them, whatever. also, NOT the time of troubles! During that period, spellcasters had a certain chance of each spell failing, and that, well, sucks.....bad

11. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Actually, I think that would be a wonderful way of balancing the game... while spellcasters have obscene amounts of power, if they go overboard, they're liable to screw up.

12. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

well that's what i fear; if they follow the ad&d rules, every class is as good as another. so if they will play the time of troubles, they will have to change things which will result in 'fake' ad&d, or as i call it: 'blasphemy'

13. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

-A choice of Cinematic and Classic Infinity Engine Camera Angles.
    -Absolutely needs Romances.
    -No cartoony-stlye graphics like Neverwinter Nights.
    -I want to hear my bard play music.
    -More spell-casting sounds.
    -An Editor.

14. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Every class is not as good as another, Arianyr. AD&D liked to claim that, but the game wasn't balanced at all.

At low levels (1-4), fighter-types pretty well ruled... they had the HP, AC, and hitting power to trash their enemies. Clerics were ok, but stuck healing most of the time. Wizards stank; too few spells, too weak when the spells are gone.

At mid levels (5-9), it was a cleric's game... a lot of their spells started to come into their own, the party had enough other resources that they didn't need to exclusively cast healing spells, and their fighting power started to catch up. Fighters are still good, but they're starting to fall behind... their AC is starting to cap out, their attacks aren't as impressive, and their HP is still the best, but almost everyone has enough to see them through a couple tough encounters, so its less crucial. Wizards at this point start to come into their own; their better spells become available, and with the right items, they can rain down a lot of death... but they're still severely limited by spells per day, and a lot of their no-save spells are yet to come.

At high levels (9+), wizards rule. At this point, they start making the items they want, and have spells which will wipe the floor with most other classes. A well-prepared cleric can stand up to them, but a fighter is almost completely outclassed; wizards are incredibly potent, able to resist a lot of damage, and have enough summons to make sure that there's someone else around as a meat shield for their fragile selves.

TSR tried to pass this off as balance... since everyone had their levels at which they shone, everyone was equal. That's a bad argument; its not balanced, but rather dynamically unbalanced. There is no point where everyone is approximately equal without rigid DM control of the availability of items and spells.

To your first point, Harbinger, I don't know if that's feasible; a first person or over the shoulder view choice (like Morrowind has) doesn't seem too hard... the views are basically the same. Those two, which are fairly different, would require them to render everything in 3D (so they could change perspectives), or create everything twice. That just makes the game bigger, not necessarily better.

15. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

they are balanced, believe me, even at every level; at lower levels, a wizard with spellcraft would be able to identify items 80% of the time. if not, use a spell: this saves time and gold. the cleric would most likey have herbalism and healing, thus making a nice healer between fights, ...... all classes ARE equal, but you have to know how to play them; every class is also unique, thus it may seem that one is more powerful than the other, etc... oh, and a lvl 9 wizard creating magical items? not unless he's really stupid! a wizard could cast a +1 enchantment, but it would cost him a point of constitution

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Somehow I don't think BGIII will allow players to really make "permanent" magic items on par with some of the unique ones you're getting. Then again, if accompanied with the necessary feats, and made sufficiently challenging (not just a couple of casts and/or few clicks of dialogue, followed by a 2-min. rest), why not? It'd make things a lot cooler, especially in a long campaign.
    Another thing that'd be nicer off the top of my head... Clerics and paladins depending on their deity's favor to cast their spells - keeping their alignment, etc. I don't think that's in the rules - at least not literally - but I can't see a priest of Mask resurrecting a paladin, for example. Maybe the wild mage system of adding/subtracting levels could work, or the "sphere" system of BG II could be implemented - a priestess more favored by her god could choose from a wider spell selection per level. Similar with rangers and druids - if they don't act in tune with their duties, their magical skills will decrease. This is why theirs is divine magic, after all - it's not them doing something, it's a divine (or at least animistic) entity doing it on their behalf. The level system is a bit underdeveloped in that field - higher levels needn't imply more devotion. Also, it'd be much more, well, engaging if there were extra feats etc. that you couldn't get just by leveling - for example special bard ballads you can only get through quests (like the various ballads you could choose from in IWD II), specific fighter skills only a particular trainer could teach, etc.

17. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

@Mr.Nexx

Actually, I was thinking like having the original 2D view, with the cinematic camera like Neverwinter Nights'.

18. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

You must have been playing under a nice DM, Arianyr... spellcraft allows you, at half your usual check, to identify magic items and magically imbued constructs for what they are. Leaving aside my DM only allowed that as a poor-mans detect magic, to do it at half your usual check 80% of the time means that either your DM wasn't paying attention to the rules as written, or you'd sunk enough slots into spellcraft that you had a 32 proficiency check. Healing and Herbalism were not a nice heal between fights, unless the fights took place a week apart... using them only added a point to your natural 1hp/day healing rate.

And wizards at 9th level can start making magic items of great use... scrolls, wands, potions, and similar charged magic tems. Maybe not quite as nice as a +1 weapon, or something of that ilk, but definitely very useful, as my wand of fireballs can demonstrate.

19. St. James Gems: 4/31

That was a joke about the marketing demografics. :)

The romances may have been optional, but you still had too respond to the dialogues -- and if you stayed in character as a good person you ended up having lots of them.

I would like to be able to play more races -- but then that is what I always want in a game.

20. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

@mrNexx: in 2E, spellcraft is rolled at INT-2, and the dm decides, depending on which item it is, how hard it is...besides, im playing a party of 3 and there's a druid and he's owning everything and everyone

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.