1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drow Class

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Tiberius, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Should there be a seperate class of Drow elves in the new BGIII? If so, should the alignment be defaulted to Chaotic Evil?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes there should and no they shouldn't.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No and no. There should be a Drow race, but not a class, and Alignment restrictions are stupid when it comes to race.

Hey, I just realized, I've passed 2000. Hell, I am even at 2010 now.

4. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

so could there be a lawful good drow paladin or cavalier Caleb? (if they allowed a Drow race in the game)

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

They did it in Icewind Dale 2. Hell, you could play a Drow Morninglord of Lathander in IWD2. I don't see why you couldn't expect it here.

6. Register Gems: 29/31

As NS said, there is always the possibility of IF. So yes, there can be paladiins in the game.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I have always found it weird that some races had alignment restrictions, I can understand some classes having it, like the paladin and rogue, but races? all drows are evil, heh that's D&D racism ;)
    I hope they implant all kinds of sub races and doesn't give them alignment restrictions, that would give one a lot of options in creating your character

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I can only think of one class that would be drow only and that would be a Cleric of Lloth since I don't think Lloth would bestow powers on non-Drow.

9. Register Gems: 29/31

10. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

Interesting, I agree that it would free up alot of character choices. But if we were allowed, would they be subject to the weaknesses and strengths of the drow. Possible innate magic ability and/ fighting in sunlight.

11. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

They'd have to incorporate the experience penalty to offset their high stat boni and magical abilities.

Conversely, feats like sunlight adaptation that normally have no place in CRPG could become necessary.

If they're going to make more D&D games one of the things I most want to see is properly incorporated subraces. I've always wanted to play a drow and have had to settle for second-rate user modifications to do so.

12. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

I agree Chevalier, they would have to incorporate some modifications if they were to incorporate the drow properly into the game.

13. Dibbley Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I belive that they should Add a Drow Race into BG3.... Don't restrict the alighnment though! for helms's sake think of all the would be drizzt's out there! and some realy cool Evil charicters as well! ristricking alignment of any race must be seen as bad otherwise it simply isnt RPG half of the Fun is Creating a charecter!

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If your character is similar to charname in BGII in that he has been 'secluded' most of his/her life then you would assume that if you were Drow, Deep Gnome or any other Underdark demi-human that you would be used to sunlight and shouldn't suffer the penalties or if there is a penalty it should be a minor one.

15. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Having Drow as one of player character races would be good way to market the game... Just imagine how many people want to play especially Drow elf.

But, in my opinion, they should allow drow characters only if they fit in the story.

16. Neimad Snave the Dark Bladed Gems: 1/31

Your damn right there should be drow class n maybe not restricted to just evil alignments not sure about the whole drow paladin thing not really there nature i could see a chaotic good n even neutral but couldnt see them living as a super goody goody!!

17. Dibbley Gems: 1/31

True....i think having a Drow Paladin would be taking the mick! so maby having the alighnment start from Chaotic Good instead of lawfull good..... as otherwise the drow would cease being Drow.

or just Ristrict them to being Chaotic as thats what there based on chaos.

18. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I really can't see why the player or a important (joinable or not) npc Drow couldn't be a Paladin, the normal drow might be evil. but the players and important Npc's are not Normal, they are Special, they are the Heroes which the story evolves around, so a drow Paladin would be okay.

19. Uncle Spanky Gems: 1/31

Part of me want to say yes to the Chaotic Evil only, but to deny the 2,000,000 Driz'zt clones. But hell, it's not a MUD is it?

BTW Race as a class really hasn't been in play since the old D&D (not AD&D) boxed sets.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Somehow I think the system in IWD 2, which let you create something like a Tiefling Paladin or a Gnome Barbarian was not too good despite the interesting specializations it offered. Maybe alignment restrictions are not very good, but I think class restrictions (like in BG II, maybe slightly more permissive) might be in order. I really can not imagine a dark elf paladin, for example, and a few priesthoods would probably be somewhat opposed to having a drow among them as well. Kinda like not having a wood elf priestess of Moradin. Drow barbarians are going to look a bit weird too, perhaps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.