1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Graphics for BGIII?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Faraaz, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Does anyone know what kind of graphics BGIII is going to have? Is it going to be 3D like NWN (ewww) or glossed up 2D like BG2, only better?

I don't know why, but 3D RPGs just put me off. ToEE had beautiful graphics, if not gameplay.

So...does anyone know?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    3D, the only question is what kind of 3D. Most likely either ala NWN, or ToEE.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

ToEE I hope.. anyways, if they're planning to have an actual party present and not just a lameass henchman the NWN 3D would be kind of hard to fit in imo

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hopefully ToEE style graphics, because those were beautiful. But I think it's obvious that doesn't work on consoles (this is going to be a console port), so at best we'll get something such as KotOR, and at worst we will end up with a Morrowindish game.

Remember, the guy in the PCG article said you will be able to see the fear in an orc's eyes as you throw a fireball at him. Bad design decision, should've gone with only PC for BG3, thus giving us an isometric perspective.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

what console? :eek: i thought it was for pc?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know where he got the idea that it's going to be a console port... it almost certainly won't be.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah ok, was a bit of a shocker that :/ Especially if they'd chosen Xbox.. I would kill someone for that, first Fable and then BG3? :mad:

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm hoping for a graphics engine similar to Age of Mythology. You can do a lot with that engine, and fit a lot of detail on the screen without hogging too much system resources. I'd hate for BG3 to be NWN style. I love the traditional "bird's eye" view of the action, and want to keep it what way. If for no other reason that consistency. It should FEEL like a BG game as much as possible.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, especially since most of us really want it to be party based as the other BG games. You just dont get a very good overview with most 3D perspectives as evident in Morrowind and NWN. That was one of the reasons I couldnt really enjoy NWN as I never really felt that I was completely in control even when I zoomed out the most.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I guess it doesn't matter just aslong as they don't use the same lame repeat areas and meshes.

No one knows a thing about BG3 yet. What is the point in asking these questions?

11. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

There's no way it could be a console port. Imagine how much depth would have to be taken out of the game for one thing, not to mention a million other things. That's definitly a bogus statement. I also hope for a super-charged ToEE-look but even better. I mean c'mon this is gonna be the biggest CRPG to come out since..well..BG2!!

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Sarevok: I only asked because I wanted to know, in case some other people here on the board had read some news which I hadn't. Which is the point of asking any question here, in case other people know what you don't... :rolleyes:

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

If there were any news on BG3 it would already be plastered in this forum.

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm almost 100% positive it's a console port. It was "alluded to" in the PC gamer article.

Let me doublecheck though. I think they are going to milk as much cash out of this as possible, so this will be a console port.

Edit: Read the article, and although it isn't officially stated that BG3 will be PC/Console, I'm still willing to put money on the fact that it will be.

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

KotOR looked good.
    I dont have NWN but I'll take it anyone here would want to avoid those graphics. Wonder why there were so many NWN SOTWs then.
    I dont know what DR saw in AoM. Personally I thought those graphics sucked. Specially the trees.

Isn't GTA:VC ported from PS2? It looks and works great on my PC. Why wont that sort of graphics engine work with BGII style gameplay?

16. Errol Gems: 23/31

Have you ever tried playing an Isometric game on the PS2? No, I don't think so. If you did it would be absolute rubbish.

If it is a console port, then the game would have to have controls which would work. Short of using a mouse, PS2 controllers would find it very hard to do isometric views i think.

Shrikant, I wonder how you would select other characters and do party-based gameplay in a GTA:VC environment? haha, it would be pretty hard I think.

*crosses fingers* I really hope it won't be a console port though.

17. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Isometric isnt all bad on console, the COmmando series was OK for it, and I could see a BG style game working but the dynamics are different. In console games, players are usually farther from the screen, and on PC's of course yopu're right up in there and can see and appreciate the detail. I'm also unsure how you can control a party of people without being too cumbersome with a controller unless you resort to pure turn based control, which I personally don't like in RPGs. I agree, however, that the 3D style of NwN and Morrowwind gets old after a while. NwN just doesn't do much for me. Geez, I'm playing Starcraft multiplayer, Total Anihilation and Medal Of Honor online these days for my gaming fix, having dropped NwN completely.

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I am making a pledge this day: "I absolutely, without question, refuse to even consider purchasing, let alone playing, Baldur's Gate 3 if the graphics engine is even similar to NWN!". It's that simple. Like someone in this post already mentioned, it would be ridiculous and virtually impossible to have a party of six with horrible NWN graphics. And I hate the idea of henchmen. It's just a pathetic, cheap rip-off of the non-player-character idea!

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Hear, hear! When I first played NWN and I walked up to some buddy and talked to him, he flat out asked me if I would pay him X amount of gold or whatever to join me and fight in my cause or something. I said "How about you do it for free?". He blew me off. I was pissed. I mean, how can it be a RPG if you can't depend on complete strangers to die for you for free?

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The isometric perspective has always been a part of the BG series and I certainly hope it will continue to be so in BG3...I love that perspective, it's just so easy on the eyes!

As Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons would say, "Best perspective ever!" :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.