1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Good Story

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Sarevok•, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you had to come up with a good story for BG3 what would it be? Do you think it would be impossible to start off where ToB ended?

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

not really "good" but id say cohesive enough.

story 1:
    PC chose to become a God. dependent upon whether your previous PC was good or evil, your new PC must quest to find/destroy something that Bhaal left in the event that he couldn't use his offspring to return which will cause yuor previous PC to lose godhood. Outrageous, I know hehe.

story 2:
    Very Diablo-esque. The previous PC realized godhood was too much of a hassle, and remained mortal. slowly, his evil essence takes him over and as he is practically godlike already, he proceeds to wreak all sorts of chaos until your new PC can stop him. It's kind of a rip-off of the D1-D2 transition where the warrior you used in D1 can no longer contain Diablo and is consumed by him.

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Perhaps playing a worshipper of Charname, while the original character's godly power is being forcibly decayed by Cyric in an effort to get the portfolio of Death?

I don't know. It's a bad plotline. But I think it's going to be hard for the plot to link to Charname and not be bad. Having the PC as Charname would be even worse. I'll be interested to see what's made of it.

4. hazefire Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm kind of with the Diablo-esque idea mentioned above. It wouldn't surprise me if Charname went crazy and some other hero had to hunt them all over the world and the planes. Of course, we wouldn't know who was causing the chaos until near the end.

The one promblem with that is it could end up to IceWind Dale- ike; were you have a party of "heros' off for gold, fame, and glory. They'd need to work in a more personal connection, good dialouge, and interesting quests.

5. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Did you ever consider it could be an alternate version of Baldurs Gate II? Sort of like a BGII: Directors Cut (but good)

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

7. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Hasn't it been said the BG3 will take place long before the Time of Troubles? So, anything involving the BG1 - 2 protagonist seemingly can't happen.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I reckon it should be about the BG protagonist's 'real' mother. She'd have a few stories to tell.

9. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The problem with a prequal is that it's forced to be pretty linear if it is about someone mentioned in the already-created BG games. The outcome is already set in stone - if it was anything else, BGs 1 and 2 couldn't happen. And if people have already played the originals, they'd know what would happen.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK then. Maybe it could be about the BG PC's mad uncle Fester who had all sorts of wild adventures that had absolutely no impact on the BG plot whatsoever.

Or they could make it that if you did not complete BGIII successfully then Gorion dies and BG could never happen so your BG and BGII discs automatically self-destruct as if they had never existed.

11. hazefire Gems: 2/31

^That is the best and funniest idea yet. :D

As long as it takes place far back enough, and doesn't change anything HUGE(Bhaal being destroyed, Gorion saving Charname, etc), I don't see how it will mess up BG1 and 2.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Crazy idea:

<Charname> chose the ascension to godhood, but it was too much for him. The evil essence of Bhaal drove him mad, and now the minions of an insane demigod bent on havoc and destruction (perhaps to some unknown purpose) are doing just that in [this place in FR].

A bunch of adventurers band together to fight this evil (or just to rob the town mayor blind). Among some of the NPC's might be people who had relations with the previous NPC's - perhaps Cernd's child, Sir Keldorn's squire, so on...

I also think there should be a protagonist player. Perhaps there's one more lost Bhaalspawn?

Final thoughts: I'd like to see the game go from level 1 - 20. Seeing Yoshimo one last time would be awesome too.

13. stormhand Gems: 4/31

I already said somewhere else that I like the idea of a prequel.

But for those of you who'd prefer a sequel, how about the idea of playing charname's child who has to band with some of charname's ex-companions since now that he turned to Godhood, he's gone mad or crazy or some other ailment. The fun part: you download you character from ToB and you have to defeat him at the end of the game. Wouldn't like to face yourself? See how good you were back in ToB? How tough you were to beat? Ok, 'nough said....

14. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@stormhand

There would have to be some sort of built in charname for people who have never played BG2 or don't have it installed. That would make the experience very different for the newcomers to the BG series.

15. stormhand Gems: 4/31

@ Gavin de Valge

Very true. However, I'd bet that 95%+ who'll play the game have played the original games. But then again, not everyone might have finished ToB. A pregenerated default character would probably suit newcomers I believe. But imagine the thrill for those who've played the game?!?!

16. Harbourboy

I've never finished BGII: ToB so I'd be part of your <5%.

17. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31

How about a new Time Of troubles has come about, with the result that the Gold Charname has descended to Earth. In order to regain his divine strength, he must once again roam the Earth in search of the answer.

Or.....

How about a thief style first person sneaker where you play as Imoen straling whatevr she can get her hands on in Candlekeep.

Or..... <This idea has literally just popped into my head so bear with me>

You Adventure at the side of Gorian and the Infant Imoen as they strive to return the other child of Bhaal to safety. They never really explained what happened to Imoen, so this isn't exactly beyond possibility.

18. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31

That would be interesting fighting <charname>, the player could decide from the start how hard the final battle is going to be by the character he picks as <charname>. But it would make the AI for him hard to program.

19. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31

Hmm. But surely you would then need to at some point choose an ingame class for CHarname. Wouldn't this sort of give away a little plot twist ever so slightly....?

I think that it will be hard to work Charname into the story, while at the same time making sure that there is a "Bhaahspawn Saga" quantity to it.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

AFAIK it will be a prequel so talking bout a sequel is kinda moot :rolleyes: and as regards the imoen idea, she's roughly your age, so if gorion rescued charname as a child, wouldn't she be that age too?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.